Tableau Software Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky

Pros
Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change (in 21 reviews)

• Growing pains caused by hiring lots of people (in 40 reviews)

"Short but to the point"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Great product that really does help people. Not just a solution for business but a solution that can help save lives.
    Created by some incredibly clever people that have spent their lives learning and understanding how the brain interprets images, movement, colour, size etc. That is the Tableau difference.
    There is a good culture. It was great however, as the company grows, the culture will change. As long as those at Tableau remain passionate about helping others, there will be no problem.

Cons

Many similar products on the market that have secondary products that are the cash cows (MS has Azure. Give Power BI for free, make money on Azure).
    Difficult to compete with free.
    Rapid growth meant some individuals were employed that are not a great fit as they slipped through the 3-5 stages of interview. With this, there are areas of the business that seem to have forgotten the Tableau core values.
    Also, with this rapid growth, it has been hard for senior management to keep up with new hires, leading to embarrassing moments like not knowing the name of the sales person that closed an $700k deal. This is also behind a growing annoyance within the business around recognition. There are 4-5 "favourites" that are always singled out for good work, given opportunities to run projects, speak at events etc, and the new employees are over looked time after time.
    The biggest disappointment that I experienced is the lack of decisions made using data. For a company that sells one of the best products on the market to analyse data and make fact based decisions, a large amount of decisions were made by a very select few. This meant a bottle neck when it came to important decisions, for example, promotions, territory alignment, recognition of opportunities split across 2 or more territories and targets..

Advice to Management

Care about your employees as their success will assist your success. Lots of good people have left as some management are clearly only looking out for number 1.

2. "Sales Ares Manager Snr"

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager Senior in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Area Manager Senior in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great product, incredible mission, benefits are great, culture is amazing, great career stop

Cons

below industry pay, lack of regional autonomy

"Not the great hype inside"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, good community , amazing customers, good marketing, global presence. Some very smart and capable people in the company.

Cons

The ambience is getting bad, not what it used to be. Poor and uninspiring micro management. The managers don't truly care about the people. Not enterprise ready from an organization perspective. Lots of international fights. No real career and growth perspective if you were not one of the first to join. The people that joined in the beginning have the best accounts and territories. Very high targets, especially if you don't have the basket with golden eggs like some do. Not enough support from sales supporting roles.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, act upon it. Be true leaders instead of micro managers. The competition will be catching up.

"Clueless Leadership spoiling a great company"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible best of breed software that does exactly what it says on the tin. Great customer loyalty and community. Easy software to sell , extensive number of leads fed to you on a daily basis from a well oiled marketing division.

Cons

I’ve been working at Tableau for around 18months -2 years and I and others really feel that things are as bad in EMEA as they have ever been.
    Ultimately this falls to The Leadership Team who have demonstrated quite clearly over the past two years that they are unsuitable and unqualified to lead a business of this size.
    For a business that preaches the importance of data driven decisions you would be extremely disappointed how opinion based the decision making is in EMEA.
    Not only is it opinion based but truly subjective based on favouritism in many cases.
    The level of inconsistency and hypocrisy undermines many of the good things about Tableau and serves as a small taster of what it has become working for an organisation who runs the business on perception based decision making which essentially breeds disillusionment and has affected the results of this business detrimentally.
    Since the return to the US of a senior figure who was steering the EMEA ship which I believe was two years ago EMEA has failed to hit their number almost every quarter on quarter. This shows how the EMEA business is trending under the current leadership and it shows no sign of ending soon even with reduced targets.
    The extended “Leadership team” contribute nothing, have no ideas, add no value, pore over spreadsheets and form filling have little or no experience nor do they try to get any or listen.
    If you asked the senior leadership team Which C- Level execs are they meeting in the next two weeks or which have they met in the last 6 months the number would be close to zero.
    If you stood in front of the leadership team they could not tell you who the top 15 customers are in EMEA and they haven’t met them or showed any real interest in their business.
    This is one of the main reasons that the exec track at the EMEA conference is so appallingly attended each year – The Management Team at Tableau EMEA have no relationships with C-Level people at their customers.
    How many Linked in groups do the Leadership Team in EMEA belong to? How often do they contribute? What dinners, breakfast meetings and events do they attend outside the standard ones of our own and Gartner. How much Networking do they do to help sales? The answer is very little if any at all.
    Leadership ask for 2 lines on each deal each week – why? What will they do with this? This is just a tick box exercise for them to regurgitate upwards.
    This is just another example of form filling especially when all the detail they require is in the CRM system.
    Sadly, that is probably the full extent of their involvement and understanding of the deals. They do not ask the questions they do to help – they ask because it’s on the list.
    The truth is, you could remove almost all the Management and you would not lose one bit of business and probably save a small fortune – that is how ineffective they are.
    It is a shame that this company has got so bad over the past two years but shows that despite having the best software, a company growing like Tableau need the right management in place. The current crop just do not cut the mustard.

Advice to Management

Try doing something other than filling in spreadsheets , try and support your sales teams with actions and effort and realise that "Leadership " means doing something constructive to make a difference.

6. "Special company"

Current Employee - Sales Area Manager Existing Business in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Area Manager Existing Business in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, Fantastic product, Enthusiastic customers.

Strong Exec management. Good support system. Clear vision. Huge space for growth.

Comfortable environment and perks. Good location.

Cons

Policies can be difficult to navigate and continuously change.

Customers still trying to understand the market, which restricts growth.

Some decision making is a little peculiar.

Advice to Management

They know what they're doing. There is little I can add here that would be of significant value to the team.

"It's going downhill fast !!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Area Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fantastic product though the competition is catching up fast.
    There are some good quality individuals working at Tableau and if you can learn from these before they leave as i did rather than the clueless management team then you will have gained some valuable knowledge.

Cons

It's a job to know where to start really but I guess we should start with the product.
    It was world beating best of breed data visualisation tool. However , they had this idea that they would pour loads of resource into R&D and pockets of techies went off trying to build really cool features whilst the rest of the world focused on cloud.
    Tableau now faces a game of catch up - the online offering leaves much to be desired and quite frankly the best hope is if they are bought by a company that knows how to do cloud correctly like Amazon or Salesforce.
    Management - they like to call themselves the "Leadership Team" but sadly not a single leader amongst them.
    Focused on spreadsheets and micro-management , asking the same questions over and over again regardless of whether they are relevant to the situation. I used to feel embarrassed for them at times. Promotion is possible , but would you really want it ?
    Tableau does somehow manage to recruit some quality sales people and if you consider the sales people as the special forces then the management team are Dad's Army.
    Culture - If you drink the cool aid , wear the T- shirts, shout and scream, love silent discos, think free food is a good replacement for respect then its great , its all great , just keep thinking it's great ! You will be told it's great every day. When the share price dropped 50% it was all great - nothing wrong with Tableau - it's everyone else. There is a fine line between cult and culture and Tableau crosses it frequently.

Advice to Management

To be honest there is little point in advising the E.ME.A management team because they lack the ability to act as true leaders. They do not listen, are not fair, act emotionally rather than look at facts.

"Good company to work for"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing offices, lots of perks & benefits (life insurance, dental insurance, travel insurance, private medical insurance, company stocks, bonuses, full packed office fridge with food and drinks, contests, cycle scheme, travel to international conferences and US HQ etc.), parties, amazing company culture, young and smart colleagues, passionate customer base, incredible product

Cons

Young and inexperienced management, lack of fairness of sales territories allocation amongst account managers, some biased internal reviews

Advice to Management

Need to build a proper line of middle managers, middle management empowered with leadership skills or find middle managers that are natural leaders, don't promote internally skilled professionals without people skills

"Losing what made it great but is still good"

Current Employee - Enterprise Area Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Area Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Management Team
    Great colleagues
    Cool Offices
    Incredible product

Cons

Job progression not clear in certain roles
    Cuts on travel, company will become siloed (EMEA will be very separate from US)
    The global collaboration on deals still needs more work although is getting better.

Advice to Management

Set clearer paths of progression for your staff.
    Look internally to fill new roles more often. (actively)
    Don't take the cost cutting too far

"Sales Area Manager Acquisition"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, incredible product that can be sold into every vertical, every department, the best manager I have had to date. Commission is good.

Cons

Base salary is poor in comparison to other places.

Advice to Management

On large deals, please ease of on the micro managing and asking for constant updates.

"An un-biased review if you are considering Tableau seriously"

Current Employee - Sales Area Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

So, I relied heavily on Glassdoor when I was looking for my next move... Microsoft, HP, Oracle, perhaps something more niche.... I considered an interviewed with over 20 companies and yet I ended up at Tableau. So I thought I might help others cut through some of the more biased comments for either side of the 'positives' and 'negatives' and offer a realistic insight.

Tableau created and is now leading the visual analytics space. In one sense this is great because customers know who we are, love our mature and extremely powerful product and we have largely good processes and a streamlined sales organisation to help make the job of selling and buying the software easier all around.

That said, with success and many years of hyper-growth, an IPO and stronger competitive threat, things have changed. It is no longer small, you now do not know every single person's name, the competitors’ products are better than they were and their marketing in some cases is fantastic. That's about it.

I'm based in Tableau London and honestly, it's a superb office (but have travelled to three global office and the same rings true for all). You can approach ANYONE at any time for help (From my own experience this includes all the Vice-presidents, the CEO, Managers, sales reps and the great lady who is our front-line at reception and keeps us all organised!). There is so much humility and every single person hired believes we are stronger by helping each other so everyone will drop what they are doing to help you, train you, introduce you to someone who you should know, the list of examples I could give is exhausting.

There's free breakfast and lunch in the kitchen, it's pretty good. There's a lot of options within a 3 minute walk if not. But this is a really solid perk.

Complaints I've read on Glassdoor which I would like to offer an insight into address:
    Management
    Promotions
    Work/Life balance
    Hiring inexperienced people

I'll deal with each in turn...

Management
    This is the level at which I was hired. The interview process was six-stages, took over 30 hours (including my own prep time) and was as thorough for Tableau to assess me as it was for me to assess Tableau. The process is natural and fluid for people who are energetic and dynamic people who are enthused by the product and can articulate it. The product is infectiously visual and if you find yourself trying it and enjoying it (I never imagined I would use these words to describe my experience with software) then Tableau is probably for you.

Promotions:
    Tableau has been fast-growing for a long time and there has been a lot of promotions as a result. This has resulted in a bit of an expectation for a promotion every 6 months in some cases, and compared to the real world this is simply not sustainable but more importantly appropriate. Promotions are something I think about and speak to my team about regularly so that we can look at what to work on to put individuals in the best possible position when a role higher up next becomes available. In mind this is a much healthier way to think and work. There are still a lot of opportunity for promotions and there will continue to be however, they just wont happen multiple times a year like they may have done previously, for obvious reasons.

Work/Life balance:
    This is down to the individual. Everyone who works late or start early chooses to. Some days I come in at 8 if I want to get ahead, I often leave dead on 5:30 since I work hard during the day to get done what I need to and I enjoy London. I can see the entire sales floor from my seat and I do not see where people's claims to being forced to work late come from...? Not that many people do, and we're still doing brilliantly as a business (I write this with a Friday beer in hand – thanks marketing )

Hiring inexperienced people:
    This one comes back to my earlier point about the interview process, it's extensive and the management team I work with (which spans EMEA) spends a phenomenal time to try and find people who are friendly, humble, intelligent and dynamic (by that I mean, they are creative and think creatively about solutions to sales challenges). They are often more experienced than the industry standard at the same level and mostly want to work with Tableau because they want to work with a product they genuinely believe in and with people who are just normal and friendly.

Training:
    There is so much training, an insane amount! Some is sales based, some about psychology, empathetic selling, product development, opportunity structures. Again, the list is very long and there is a chap here called Dan who has worked and been successful in Sales, marketing and another division and now runs ‘Discussions with Dan’ three times a week so that sales people can come and get ideas about how to get around roadblocks, account strategies etc etc etc. This is all on top of the initial two weeks you get when you first join, and then the team and manager-lead training that is performed on a team/individual level as required.

The pay is good, not awful, not incredible. It kind of doesn't need to be tbh. You could earn more with companies that will treat you horribly and make you unhappy. You could make a lot less (and have far less opportunity to earn commission) in a lot of other roles. This is a great company and the pay is more than good for people who want a comfortable and fun lifestyle in London and globally.

I hope this helps. truly. My advice would be to come to the Tableau office by the Tate modern and meet some of the people. You'll see what I'm talking about and probably be quite glad that you didn't necessarily take negative reviews on Glassdoor too seriously prior to making up your own mind, it's got you this far after all. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Cons

Every con that's worth mentioning is listed above and I don't think there's anything else I should add to this box.

Advice to Management

Every piece of advice to management that's worth mentioning is listed above and I don't think there's anything else I should add to this box.