Tableau Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Tableau Software Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, great work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Great product that really does help people (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change (in 21 reviews)

• The company is going through growing pains (in 45 reviews)

"Company that sees potential"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, clear benefits and promotion structure, ability to work with you to balance life

Cons

Like other tech, female to male ratio is still quite low.

"Culture is too overrated - lot of mediocre people outside Developer group"

Former Employee - Senior in Headquarters, WA
    Former Employee - Senior in Headquarters, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has phenomenal products and that is what makes it successful. Simply world class.

Cons

Mediocre people. Company claims to take great strides in hiring the right employee by making the process long and ends up getting all the bad ones. They talk about culture quite a bit. But, respect, collaboration, honesty can all be missing. Mediocre people will have to violate all these to survive and that is exactly what it happens. You can fire half of them and still be ok. There are roles which are basically "looking for things to do" and hence can impede you doing the work. New blood like head of sales bring Oracle type of approach which screws up culture to an even larger extent. Company tends to hire more in wrong roles (training management, customer ops, commercial) and less in really needed areas (services). Self service is far from reality with this product and needs services to do any anything meaningful. International regions are worst. They have been there for a while and hence have the entitlement mentality. They also do their own thing. Can't get anything done with them since they think USA is trying to enter their territory. Quota is assigned randomly. Some will do 1000% and others will do 20% of quota. No worries. Still the low performers can hang around because the company has no clue in quota assignment. Partiality, favoritism and back biting are the norm.

Advice to Management

Wake up. If the product was any less than what it is, you guys are done. Realize that. Others are catching up. Up your game. For God's sake, throw away the values. None of them are followed. There are not many long timers but the ones whom you have left on the field need to be flushed out. They have no new ideas and sit and protect territory.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Tableau has been a fantastic place to work for many years running. They have been able to recruit and retain both highly skilled as well as great people for as long as I can remember.

There are also several internal initiatives to up-level all employees, providing people with skills they're able to use in current and future roles.

And, new leadership seems to have the right idea, although all the kinks aren't yet worked out.

Oh, and it's by far the best product in the data visualization space, hands down.

Cons

We are that awkward teenager that is transitioning into a grown-up company. We don't have answers to all questions, and we aren't totally sure what we need to become in a year.

Advice to Management

Make sure to review compensation annually to avoid spurts of attrition that can easily be avoided.

Also, limit the marketing fanfare about products until we're sure they work.

4. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Good salary, good team, good environment

Cons

too many environmental things to worry about at work

"Great company"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, Great people, open and respectful culture,

Cons

Lower pay compared to other companies in the area.

"Sales Dept"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

autonomy, incredible culture, focused on success of the individual

Cons

still experiencing growing pains, switches direction a lot

Advice to Management

Refrain from switching directions so fast. give the business time to react

"Mission-driven mid cap holding on to start-up culture"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Extraordinary career growth potential in emerging industry. Generous benefits and perks that stop short of being cliche.

Cons

High attrition of engineering sr. management - partially attributable to time in residence among "2nd Gen." hires (3-4 yrs)

Lower than average cash compensation

"Almost great company, doesn't care about retention or growth"

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture, fun and intelligent colleagues to work with, great product and work environment

Cons

non-US employees are 2nd class to US employees. 0 progression for non-US employees and offered less to no opportunities. Almost my whole team has left for positions that pay close to double, or more senior roles externally than options we applied for internally (but were rejected and not even given an opportunity).

It's sad that external companies we've never worked with are more willing to reward and recognize me and my ex-team-mates than Tableau. This was more about never being recognized for our potential and capabilities than Tableau paying lesser.

There USED to be a flat hierarchy but these days you can give detailed feedback for years and still nothing has changed. My advice to anyone leaving Tableau: don't bother with exit interviews. Nothing will change.

Advice to Management

To new middle management: stop trying so hard to please the existing management. You're hired to fix existing problems and surface them, not hide or blanket them to maintain status quo so you look good.

"Great product, great customers, great culture, shaky on career dev opps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tableau has a great product that's easy to get excited about and a strong customer base that's growing. We promote that people who join Tableau are 'humble smart,' and I believe those are many of the people we hire. It's a fun environment, global, good tools to get our work done, like the new CEO (Adam) and the new exec leaders coming in. Feel they'll help us get to the next level of growth as a company.

Cons

Tableau still has a start-up feel, with everyone doing their own thing, starting from scratch, being innovative in their space, but it feels like the Wild West sometimes. Many business units and teams have a different solution. It's difficult to find one source of truth and the dirty secret is that we don't do a great job of making sure the data is prepped and 'cleaned' so you know the business decisions you're making based on 'seeing and understanding your data' are the right ones. We're getting there but we're not there yet. There also aren't clear career paths for many groups, so finding opportunities to grow up or laterally is difficult.

Advice to Management

Align strategic direction across the whole company, not just business units. Make it clearer to employees how we're all working together towards common goals. Develop career paths based on competencies so we know what we need to develop to get to where we want to go.

"Room to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, talented people who want to make a real impact, free food, great benefits, fun company parties, and 2 brand new buildings which are close to lots of restaurants and coffee shops. Close to the Burk Gilman Trail if you want to get out for a walk, run or bike ride.

Cons

Low pay and they don't provide stock options anymore, only RSU's. Lots of young managers who aren't qualified for that role. The early Tableau culture is no longer present, and much of the senior leadership was non existent. A lot of inefficiencies that don't seem to ever get resolved.

Advice to Management

The ideas that your employees have come up for a reason. Sit down and listen to them, if you don't want to continue losing great talent to other companies. Offer up more perks other than free food to let them know they are doing great work. A coffee card can go a long way.