Tableau Software Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

4.2
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, great work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Great product that really does help people (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change (in 21 reviews)

• The company is going through growing pains (in 45 reviews)

"Great people, great product, great time"

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager, Acquisition, Commercial SMB in Washington, DC

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Tableau are awesome. The people I worked with were fun, thoughtful, laid-back, helpful, and smart.

Company makes an effort to listen to its employees and respond to their needs. For example, they changed our quota structure after several reps and managers had shared w/ upper management about some issues we were having.

Managers very receptive and responsive to feedback.

Company invests heavily in your professional development. The best training I've had in my career came at Tableau.

Tableau offers a lot of perks -- great company parties, team outings, regular contests, etc.

Customers LOVE Tableau. It's energizing to be working for a company that customers love. It also helps in sales.

Despite note hitting quota very often, I still felt like I got paid pretty well. I got a salary bump while I was there, cashed in about $3,000 in stock after the first year, and was still able to make decent commision. Benefits are great too.

Cons

This isn't necessarily a con w/ Tableau, but inside sales is brutal. The Sales Area Manager, Acquisition role (aka Account Executive) is a grind. It was hard for me to hit my quota and thus collect the amount of commission I would've liked. During my short time there, there were a lot of acquisition reps in the DC office who struggled to hit their number. But, again, upper management and the sales managers and directors did everything they could to help struggling reps meet their quotas and get paid. Me not hitting quota is not necessarily a reflection on Tableau, but I think it's important for people interested in working in sales at Tableau to be aware of.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, fully stocked kitchen, great building and location. Coworkers are all amazing. Very smart and talented group of people.

Cons

Salary is not as competitive as other software companies in the DMV. Growing pains, which is natural. Uncertainty in future planning.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Awesome team of smart people. Great benefits. Good office morale. Hard working team.

Cons

Diversity. Setting clear path for advancement would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep going! You are doing great!

"About Tableau"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

People are extremely kind; Great culture; Product is outstanding; Health Benefits are great; Customers love Tableau and it is a pleasant experience supporting them; fun solution and the things people do with Tableau are incredible

Cons

Visual Analytics is becoming a more competitive field; high expectations in terms of quota with shrinking territories as Tableau grows

Advice to Management

Consistent sensitivity to those spending time to interview as it is a long and time consuming process to get hired at Tableau

"Fun place to work with great growth potential."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Culture, Product, Training, Vision, Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Very young office. Literally, like literally so young. Like totally.
    Lots of "fringe" benefits that could just be in the paycheck (Spiffs, raffles, etc.)

"Great company"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, long-term vision, good benefits, career growth options

Cons

Onboarding could be improved once you get out of Boot Camp

"Solutions Consultant"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company, great benefits, superb health insurance

Cons

Feels like startup but company is 14 years young. Lots of growth and that creates challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"First Sales Job... Great Company... Terrific Culture and Growth!!"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tableau has been a breathe of fresh air for my career. Like a lot of folks who join, I came from an older organization with an extremely traditional and bureaucratic business model. However, upon joining into Tableau, I was surrounded by entrepreneurial, smart, driven, fun, unique, engaged, and proud employees. I could go on and on, but bottom line, Tableau has what anyone would look for in a company:
    - Company growth and individual growth potential
    - A unified mission
    - Terrific health and personal benefits
    - A product that WORKS
    - Mentorship and investment in the individual
    - Stock Plan
    - International Assignments (optional)
    - Positive culture
    - Transparency across departments
    - Two-week orientation for ALL global new hires at its Seattle HQ
    - Engaging office workspaces
    - Resources to LEARN (esp. for someone new to sales!)

To work at Tableau, you have to be willing to embrace challenge. You're not just a number or a number cruncher, nor a cog; rather, a valued employee whose insights, attitude, determination, and feedback matter.

Cons

Lots of reviews list Tableau's growth as a con. And sure, rapid growth in any space yields growing pains, but I would argue that's not a bad thing! In fact, that's why I (and others) joined the company to begin with - to engage and apply an entrepreneurial attitude. I don't expect things on a silver platter, but again, we're GROWING! Who's ever said, "I want to join a company that's shrinking."

Advice to Management

Providing feedback on Glassdoor is a great platform to speak future employees; however, my advice to management is to continue to listen to current employees. With a couple thousand workers, there's going to be a couple thousand opinions on how things should go. Overall, I appreciate your help in getting me up to speed in a new position and how welcome you have been to face-to-face feedback.

Thank you.

"Work for DC office if you DO NOT like making money. YOU WILL BE POOR."

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Cool product. Nice managers. Hardworking people. Free healthcare. Good location. Great benefits (which are counteracted with HORRIBLE pay). Great 2 week orientation in Seattle. Nice office space.

Cons

Pay insulting.

Even if you calculate in the benefits including the stock options/healthcare you will still take a significant pay cut unless you are coming from a minimum wage job.

Success is never felt.

You will not make EVEN CLOSE to "on target earnings."

Pay is WELL below industry standards and they will try to sell you on the added value of the benefits which when you calculate them out don't even break even with the lack of pay.

Territories continue to shrink even though people not even getting close to quota.

Constantly use the excuse of "new office" and "growing company" to cover up for illogical and unattainable quota.

If you're motivated by money and success do NOT work here.

Delusional upper upper management.

You will be poor and burned out after 1 month.

Advice to Management

"Get creative" isn't a sales strategy.
    Push for higher base pay.
    STOP HIRING.
    This pay for DC is unacceptable and utterly embarrassing and you will lose good people.

"Sales Area Manager"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, lots of fun to come to work. You're selling a really solid product and the leads just flow in. Lots of opportunity for growth and it's an exciting place to work. Very warm process compared to other sales environments i've been in. Training is top notch and I feel lucky to have this job. Different departments openly communicate and there's accountability vertically and horizontally, insanely open business structure.

Cons

Tons of growth so some of the sales management is a little green, goals are tough but that's normal in this industry.

Advice to Management

Put more senior management in to growing offices so that the rest of the team can learn from them. Internal experience is invaluable and would be really welcomed. They're already working on this though.