KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Salesforce
Engaged Employer

Tableau Software

Add a Review

Tableau Software Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated May 1, 2020

Found 51 of over 896 reviews

4.0
Tableau Software President and CEO Mark Nelson
Mark Nelson
Pros
  • "Benefits and good work/life balance(in 89 reviews)

• "Great product & Innovative roadmap(in 89 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way(in 51 reviews)

• "The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tableau Software and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Good Company

Dec 27, 2019 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food Good team atmosphere Great work/life balance

Cons

Company bought by Salesforce has growing pains being acquired changing the company dynamics.

2. 3.0

Good intentions

May 1, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative, good work-life balance, friendly work environment

Cons

Growing pains, stubborn to change, outdated management practices.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company!

Sep 26, 2019 - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel like I hit the recruiting jackpot with this company. Great product, culture and recruiting environment.

Cons

Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome place to work

Jun 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In addition to excellent benefits (100%-paid health, stock benefits, commuter subsidy, free food, amazing parties) there is an incredible culture. Everyone truly embodies our core value of “humble smart”. I have honestly never worked with smarter people in my life. There is a high degree of collaboration with little emphasis on title or position. We are great about giving people the benefit of the doubt and quick to recognize a job well done. Though everyone works very hard, we routinely take the time to pause after a big project to celebrate...something we do quite well if I do say so myself. :) Everything from silent disco dancing parties to Mariners baseball games. We know how to celebrate and foster friendships among coworkers. Recently, during bike-to-work month, we received free, specially catered meals, free Tableau jerseys and free bike tune ups. It was a great way to go above and beyond to celebrate the event! I feel very valued as an employee at Tableau and highly recommend working here.

Cons

It can be challenging to get one’s foot in the door. (Tableau is such an awesome place to work, everyone wants to be here.) It can take time and many attempts to move forward in the applicant process. The growth rate is incredible, and as such, there are some growing pains when it comes to onboarding within teams. Approval processes can also be lengthy as each organization grows. Thankfully, these are known areas of opportunity, and processes are currently being built to address them.

6 people found this review helpful

Tableau Software Response

Team Tableau

Thanks so much for your feedback! We agree we do have a lot of great benefits and fun at Tableau! We appreciate your comments on what we can improve on, and we're always looking for ways to make our processes more efficient!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great vision, top-notch product, growing pains.

Oct 22, 2013 - Professional Services in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unbelievable talent, excellent product, great visionary leadership by co-founders. The good and bad of hiring such a high level of personnel is that it often takes a reaaaally long time to get the team fully staffed for the needs to be met. However, the members of my team are all the best and brightest and I'm glad to work among them. It's a lot of fun to be on board with one of the premier software companies in the world right now. Open door policy to talk to other members of the company: Product Management, Engineers, Developers have all been very open and willing to help me with questions and growth. The communication among colleagues is great.

Cons

Growing pains, low pay, underdeveloped management. My director is incredible but not all departments are as lucky. too many members of our company have been poached in the time i've been here. The fact that an employee can be poached at 2-3x their Tableau salary means there is a clear underpayment.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

The Only Company That Makes Me Happy

Mar 2, 2015 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great customer-centric culture, leadership that's doing everything right, investing in & achieving huge growth, taking over the world. I've been here for 2 years and, for the first time in my life, am not planning my next career move; I'm here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Cons

None. There are growing pains (impossible to avoid when your company is doubling in size year over year for 10+ years), but all things considered those pains are handled very well. The extremely competent team is doing their best.

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fun, hard-working, intelligent employees with a dedication and intense love for our product and company

Jan 15, 2015 - Operations in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Med/Vis/Dent insurance fully covered by Tableau (employee only) with minimal rates for dependents Fully-stocked kitchens Dozens of events and parties every year Team and company-wide camaraderie is very high Innovative, intelligent, landscape-changing product Rapid and continuous growth - an exciting time to be at Tableau! Opportunities for growth and development within the company Positive outlook on the future and belief in our path as a company I have never worked in a place like this! My co-workers are some of the hardest working and most talented folks in their respective fields. What keeps me at Tableau is the people - I feel inspired by my co-workers and keep coming back every day because of that.

Cons

Though the growth is very exciting - our growing pains have cropped up. Resource constraints around IT, Facilities, etc. have been evident at times.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An innovative company with a wonderful culture!

Mar 14, 2017 - Operations in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My top reason for joining Tableau was the people and culture and I have not been disappointed. I love the collaborative, positive, customer-centric, and data-focused environment here. Some days are challenging, but I feel supported because of the humble, smart people I get to work with. Last week, we had an engineering-wide Hackathon. My operations team joined in too - I like that the company encourages innovation. I also like the size of the company - big enough that there is some structure, but small enough where you get to know people quickly and feel like you're having a big impact.

Cons

The company has just gone through a period of massive growth and I think we're seeing some growing pains right now. We've also just had new leadership join us (new CEO and head of Sales). I think these growing pains are natural in a company that is graduating to the next phase of it's lifecycle. Our new leadership thus far has been great and is aware. They seem to have an eye on the pain points as we head into this chapter. I have high confidence we'll make it through to the next successful part of our journey.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Software engineer review

Apr 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People tend to be kind, collaborative, helpful and interested in building a truly useful tool in line with Tableau's mission - Developers are involved in the whole process of a project. We have a say in what gets done and how we do it; it's not just one-way orders from management to you. - Everyone in Development is invited to the annual Tableau Conference, which is fun and exhausting and a great opportunity to meet users excited about Tableau - Avocados :)

Cons

- Growing pains. E.g., knowledge is concentrated in a handful of people who have been there for a long time but is poorly documented for everyone else - Teams are spread across locations, which can make for less effective communication - Demographic breakdown that you might expect from a tech company. There are a few employee-made groups to support underrepresented or marginalized groups internally but we could be better about who we include and how we include them on a company level - Not much communication between Dev organization and others (e.g., Sales, Support) who would likely have helpful input

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Mission Great Culture

Jun 12, 2015 - Systems Administrator
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is very focused on helping others and being good stewards. The Tableau Foundation donates money and software to various non-profits and we get one paid day to volunteer and a place of our choice. There are also some contribution matching programs that I personally have not looked into yet. The benefits package get better every year, HR is very responsive to your needs and I wish I had our product 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of reporting. The work life balance is important to management and while you may have deadlines it wont be 50hr+ a week constantly like some other tech companies. My wife says I'm not allowed to leave Tableau because our insurance is so good.

Cons

Compensation is a bit weak, it appears to assume that the stock will do well to balance out with other companies. Growing so fast can lead to growing pains where things were done quick rather than correct.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews