Tait Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Garry Diack

"I'd work there again...."

Former Employee - Marketing Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Department in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have fond memories of oumy time at Tait. It was a diverse workplace that encouraged an open door policy. I was allowed to try new things even if that mean failure. Given a real sense of empowerment when making decisions on behalf of the company. Didn't get caught up in a lot of red tape when making non-major changes. They have a real understanding of the work-life balance and practice what they preach. Emphasis on educational opportunities and expanding your skill set while in job.

Cons

I understand that its a standard but wasn't a fan when they changed the comp. time policy. If I work a full weekend out of town and away from family I should be given back equal time not half. I was part of a series of lay-offs at the end of 2013. I feel like they could have been a bit more sensitive during the process. My immediate manager and VP above were fantastic but the timing and manner in which the company ended my employment was a bit traumatic. This is just my opinion but others have shared a similar experience with me.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your comp time policy. Find a way to expedite communication with the Global Team in NZ and the regions. If you have to cut jobs and lay off staff, consider adapting the policies and guidelines to fit the local business culture. What is the standard in NZ is not necessarily that in the US or Europe?

"Enron Accounting and Employee Wasteland"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a core group of employees that really cared for the company, product, clients, and end users, but I really doubt any are left following six years of no raises or bonuses, constant layoffs, management revolving door, and the Harris Corp. PSPC "Partnership".

Cons

No raises in six years. Constant layoffs. "New" technology 5 or more years behind closest competition. HR incompetencies second to none. ZERO internal PM processes. Never listening to feedback from longterm customers. US Office is on the skids. There will be no new work from Harris, so it is back to Last one out, please turn off the lights.

Advice to Management

Tait in Christchurch, NZ. Garry specifically, needs to come into town and CLEAN HOUSE in the United States above the cubicle level. If the employee has an office door, it is likely they need to see the door except Alan. Take back your business, develop a real Sales & Marketing force, or close TAM and let the Support folks work from home.

3. "Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working culture, some great engineering staff who knows what they doing.

Cons

- Need some direction
    - Need some innovative products to compete in the market

"Company headed downhill"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good equipment; strong existing customer base.

Cons

Management team has little to no background in two-way radio communications industry.

Advice to Management

With the massive downsizing and follow on exits, there are very few persons left whom are respected in the industry (Public Safety or Critical Infrastructure). Management team needs to realize this, and work to keep those persons intact. Additional, needs to figure out its organizational structure to put the right people (who know something about the industry) in the right positions to build the company back up.

"Layoffs year after year ..."

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed culture. The people are friendly. Salary is competitive. Benefits good. 401k, not so great.

Cons

Unfortunate as it is, they really do not know what they're doing here. Lack of vision, late product enhancements, inability to compete effectively in the market, sales is a revolving door, they are sorely mismanaged, lots of misplaced talent, old systems, manual processes, and R&D, depleted. This place reeks of 1990s work culture, sans the dot matrix printer ...

Layoffs, year after year ... but no one will tell you this until you're fully committed or next on the chopping block.

It is a private company so they also will not tell you that they are in full downward spiral (as a previous reviewer mentioned). Talent is being scooped up in droves by the competition and they keep tenured employees who are complacent, paper pushers. The employees who ultimately get pushed out the door will leave with no skillset enhancement since their processes and systems are so old.

Advice to Management

Get real. Save the talent.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Appreciation for diversity, flexible, focus on teamwork, open-door management style practiced, great benefits!

Cons

Currently no room for personal growth or promotion; have not issued bonuses over the last two years

Advice to Management

No advice at this time

7. "Growing Global Organization"

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time

Pros

Tait is a global leader in designing, delivering and managing innovative communication solutions that help utilities and public safety organizations to keep the lights on and communities safe.

Our difference? A total devotion to our customers’ causes, combined with the commitment to listen, courage to act and integrity to deliver what we promise.

Cons

Need to recruit more talent!

"Only if you really need a job...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The people overall are friendly and it s a very woman-friendly company. Lots of single mothers (and soon-to-be-single mothers).
    Its also a very "accent-friendly" environment. Very multicultural and you can expect to talk to people from around the globe on a daily basis.

Cons

The pay is in the bottom part of the industry and they are centrally located in Houston. So if you want to work for Tait, you have to move to Houston. Not the worst place...but up there.

Opportunities for growth basically come from attrition. If you last long enough, you will be promoted. They seem to turn over management people every 18-24 months, so be aware of that.

For a company which has been around for 40 years (20 in the US), they still do not seem to know what they want to do "when they grow up". Its a constant flux of people, ideas, and directions.

And since the company is NZ-based, expect the Kiwi's to be involved - from a distance - with any decision making, or anything else of consequence. Although they are like 10k miles away and live on an island, they are deeply involved in the culture and directions - to a fault.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to spin off the US operations (equally for the other geographic regions). Since the company is not ready to play with the big boys of the industry, they need to behave accordingly.

"Great Potential"

Pros

Great product and people in general
    International global company

Cons

Management, Future insecurity, Stability, Yearly reductions

Advice to Management

Figure out the correct shoe size and stick to it

"Tait Have Lost Their Way"

Pros

Nothing anymore which is such a shame.

Cons

Unfortunately the management of Tait just don't care about the employees anymore. I'd almost say they hardly care about if the company survives. It is such a pity because it used to be such a great place to work for.