Tait Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Garry Diack
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I'd work there again...."

Former Employee - Marketing Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Department in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have fond memories of oumy time at Tait. It was a diverse workplace that encouraged an open door policy. I was allowed to try new things even if that mean failure. Given a real sense of empowerment when making decisions on behalf of the company. Didn't get caught up in a lot of red tape when making non-major changes. They have a real understanding of the work-life balance and practice what they preach. Emphasis on educational opportunities and expanding your skill set while in job.

Cons

I understand that its a standard but wasn't a fan when they changed the comp. time policy. If I work a full weekend out of town and away from family I should be given back equal time not half. I was part of a series of lay-offs at the end of 2013. I feel like they could have been a bit more sensitive during the process. My immediate manager and VP above were fantastic but the timing and manner in which the company ended my employment was a bit traumatic. This is just my opinion but others have shared a similar experience with me.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your comp time policy. Find a way to expedite communication with the Global Team in NZ and the regions. If you have to cut jobs and lay off staff, consider adapting the policies and guidelines to fit the local business culture. What is the standard in NZ is not necessarily that in the US or Europe?

2. "Great New Zealand Company"

Pros

Great potential but poor leadership over the past 5 years has hindered that.

Cons

Poor leadership - slow decisions. Bad politics.

"Enron Accounting and Employee Wasteland"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a core group of employees that really cared for the company, product, clients, and end users, but I really doubt any are left following six years of no raises or bonuses, constant layoffs, management revolving door, and the Harris Corp. PSPC "Partnership".

Cons

No raises in six years. Constant layoffs. "New" technology 5 or more years behind closest competition. HR incompetencies second to none. ZERO internal PM processes. Never listening to feedback from longterm customers. US Office is on the skids. There will be no new work from Harris, so it is back to Last one out, please turn off the lights.

Advice to Management

Tait in Christchurch, NZ. Garry specifically, needs to come into town and CLEAN HOUSE in the United States above the cubicle level. If the employee has an office door, it is likely they need to see the door except Alan. Take back your business, develop a real Sales & Marketing force, or close TAM and let the Support folks work from home.

4. "Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working culture, some great engineering staff who knows what they doing.

Cons

- Need some direction
    - Need some innovative products to compete in the market

"Tait Have Lost Their Way"

Pros

Nothing anymore which is such a shame.

Cons

Unfortunately the management of Tait just don't care about the employees anymore. I'd almost say they hardly care about if the company survives. It is such a pity because it used to be such a great place to work for.

"Company headed downhill"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good equipment; strong existing customer base.

Cons

Management team has little to no background in two-way radio communications industry.

Advice to Management

With the massive downsizing and follow on exits, there are very few persons left whom are respected in the industry (Public Safety or Critical Infrastructure). Management team needs to realize this, and work to keep those persons intact. Additional, needs to figure out its organizational structure to put the right people (who know something about the industry) in the right positions to build the company back up.

"Would the last one out please turn off the lights"

I worked at Tait Communications full-time

Pros

It is hard to think of any truly positive points about what Tait has to offer an employee unless you are in the clique.

Cons

Extremely cliquish, unstable and in a deep downward spiral with regular and frequent reduction in headcount and those that aren't cut and are worth their salt are leaving as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Resign and let a new management team take over.

"Great Potential"

Pros

Great product and people in general
    International global company

Cons

Management, Future insecurity, Stability, Yearly reductions

Advice to Management

Figure out the correct shoe size and stick to it

"Should not be your first choice"

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I was there th 401k matching program was pretty good and they do churn out good product. Other than that....

Cons

Its a revolving door. Except for some upper management people, you should expect to be there 18-24 months max. Maybe not even that long. Sales at all levels churns every 12-18 months and everywhere else is just short staffed (meaning good luck getting your project done on time). Lots of cliques and infighting - short on trust.
    Everything comes from NZ and there is a rotation of NZ people who come through there. But since everything comes from NZ, it can take forever to get a customer anything. Very frustrating.
    Compensation is on the low end for the industry as well as are the benefits.

Advice to Management

they have cycled out of most of the mngt people since I was there (which is a good thing). They continue to be a revolving door and everyone knows it.

10. "Friendly environment with good diversity."

Pros

Good work-life balance and support from management. Everyone is friendly and there is a certain degree of flexibility.

Cons

I'm quite unsure about possibilities for upwards advancement in the firm. People seem to stay in one position for a long time.

Advice to Management

I did not stay long enough to have an opinion on management but maybe make sure that advancement opportunities are communicated clearly to employees to avoid confusion or guessing around.