TakeLessons Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Pros
  • The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way (in 4 reviews)

• I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are just starting you have no way to get new students (in 7 reviews)

• There are no benefits, and don't offer bonus's (in 6 reviews)

"Takelessons - A glorified call center"

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takelessons is a call center in a great location. Also, they were occasionally flexible with regards to scheduling shifts. Takelessons will also let you take on huge amounts of additional responsibility, pay is a different story, but none the less… A large amount of the people that work at takelessons are nice and it seemed most had college degrees, which was surprising to me for a call center. At the end of the day, takelessons is a company that facilitates music lessons which is cool.

Cons

Takelessons is a music related call center that doesn't even have any music playing in the office! You have to pay for parking and you can barely even fit in your cubicle. It's a glorified call center lacking any legitimate career opportunities, not to mention any monetary upward mobility. Takelessons is open 7 days a week so you have to work weekends and rarely, if ever get a weekend, much less 2 days in a row off.

The cult-like "fun culture" takelessons worked so hard to create is seemingly being replaced with a much more corporate one. My overall experience at takelessons felt more like a high school, rumor mill, roller coaster than a job, and I was considered one of the "cool kids" if not the "coolest". Oh, and I'm not totally sure but I'm pretty sure you have to be good looking to even be considered.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback from the call center side; the people in the trenches. Often times a great business idea on paper does not mean it's anything more than just a great idea. Don't try to grow too fast, get overhead down, and really look at overall morale.

"40 percent finders fee"

Current Employee - Vocal Coach
    Current Employee - Vocal Coach

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had some great clients.

Cons

Working for takelessons is tough in someways because they take 40 percent of your lessons and slowly " reward you" with tiny increases until the students fulltime. There are no benefits, and don't offer bonus's.

Advice to Management

Your Teachers are the ones that make Takelessons possible. I think it would be great to recognize that.

"Strange management"

Pros

A platform that works and you can get students here. Get paid on time.

Cons

I was away on vacation for 1 month so my students didn't purchase more lessons from me during the time I was away. The management people thus stopped me from publicly listing my subject so no new students would see me. I got back, student continued lessons with me, still subject unlisted. And during this time they got rid of me from their Facebook group. Will stop using them.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and treat the teachers right.

5. "Clarinet Teacher"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor

Pros

Only writing for 'Pros' because this website requires it. There are no 'Pros'

Cons

After being listed on their site as a registered, back-ground checked clarinet tutor, 0 students have requested taking lessons because TakeLessons simply has way too many tutors listed per instrument.

"Startup Zombie"

I worked at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Mostly transparent. Good time off policy for tech.

Cons

Tech team is not diverse. No career development for most of the employees. Just waiting for the next round of investment. CEO has bought into the startup founder cult and the whole company goes overboard on the culture aspect appearing cultish at times to new hires.

Advice to Management

Credit your cofounders. Don't expect your workers to be completely transparent with their dissatisfaction.

"Better companies to work for. Music teachers beware."

Pros

Set your own hours, background checks for teachers.

Cons

Sketchy student approval, sloppy administration at times.

Advice to Management

There should be a way for teachers to interview students before entering strange homes. Teachers are booked without consent. The policies aren't completely safe (especially for females). They also blame any misunderstood actions of students on students. Most music companies don't have this issue. They seem to have gone downhill over time.

8. "A means to an End"

Former Contractor - Music Teacher
    Former Contractor - Music Teacher

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor

Pros

The company requires teachers to be very organized and have background checks which is great for the students. The customer service side is great and I love that they take care of the business side of running a studio. It has been very helpful for me to add more students to my teaching studio to fill in the gaps and give me more experiance while I build my private studio. However, it is only a means to an end and I'm looking to get out of using takelessons when I am able to open up those spots for my own private students.

Cons

For the amount of money Takelessons.com takes from students I think the teachers, who do the brunt of the work and ARE the bread and butter of the company, should be paid more. As it stands, teachers are paid less than 50% of what the company brings in per lesson and on top of that, the company does not provide regular performance opportunities for their students, at least in my area. So, that is then something the teacher has to do on their own, which we do because we care.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers at least 50% of what you bring in per lesson if not more AND create regular performance opportunities for ALL locations takelessons has business in.

"Too fluffy and built up. It doesn't become what they say it could, even with the outside effort."

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

Pros

They do your scheduling for you. The people you encounter are generally very awesome. The pay is decent and the hours are flexible.

Cons

They do your scheduling for you (it's hard to deal with a middle man). The company is really kinda stingy and if someone cancels a lesson in the week, the company doesn't pay you, but still manages somehow to keep the lesson money. The pay is no where near what one could make and the lesson prices are really unfair to the students. Often times the travel to the students is further than convenient and sometimes not even worth it. The management also says that they'll do things and unless you keep pestering them, they don't do it and in my experience blame it off on someone they asked to do the task.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about positions you're creating. Pay your teachers better. Follow through on getting back to teachers after they give you the advice you asked for from them and tell them that you'll bring it up at the next meeting. Take the teachers seriously. Create more programs to reach out to people who may not be able to afford your exorbitant prices.