TakeLessons Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students (in 5 reviews)

• The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are just starting you have no way to get new students (in 8 reviews)

• There are no benefits, and don't offer bonus's (in 6 reviews)

"Long time teacher 7 years"

Current Employee - Music Teacher Various Instruments in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Music Teacher Various Instruments in Portland, OR

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't have to lift a finger! My job is being a teacher. Last thing I want to do is be a bill collector. Take Lessons advertises for students and sets up billing and as far as I know has nothing but good things to say about each teacher that they represent. Yes they make money off of the teachers. But as a contract teacher myself, I have been able to keep some of my students five years, so I don't lose anything. I get a lot of reviews because I do a good job. And I'm sorry that other teachers do not feel good about Take Lessons. They have done so much for me and I'm loyal and grateful in return. I have only a few students with them right now, but I have had up to 25 at a time. The only reason is because I have 35 in my own business. It might take certain type of mindset to work for this company. I trust them completely, they have my back. If a client is upset for any reason they don't take it out on me. If you look at the big picture, you can see the company can help you get a start if you are new to the music teaching business.

Cons

If I had to say there were any cons at all, it would just be that there are too many teachers working there now. And unfortunately, I think that's why some of them are not getting enough students. But if you work well with The students you get, those students refer you to others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and communicating with your teachers. Web tutorials and reaching out to customers are great. Thanks for everything.

2. "Spanish Teacher at Takelessons"

Current Contractor - Science Teacher, Soccer Coach, Spanish Teacher in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They have been working really hard to improve the learning and teaching experience. They are very understandable with the teachers. They answer every calls. Good for those who look for extra money and when I started to run my teaching company

Cons

None for me. They work on every cons.

Advice to Management

Good management. Thank you

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I have been with Takelessons for almost 1 year as an independent contractor. I work off of the website as an online teacher. I am responsible for setting my rate, schedule and materials. The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way.

+ Very helpful customer service.
    + The online teacher/student platform sight that actually gets you students.
    + They are always looking to improve the teacher's experience and asking for feedback and ideas.
    + Teach from home.
    + Make your own schedule.
    + No dealing with bosses or other people telling you what to do.
    + Even with the website's fees, you will get a higher hourly rate than many other platform sites.
    + Students must purchase a minimum of 5 lessons to begin with you and all lessons are prepaid.
    + Students can pay with a credit card and TL handles all billing.

Cons

- When a student begins with you, the website takes 40% of your hourly rate. It is phased out to only 10% by the 15th class. Depending on the student, it can take 4 months to be making your full rate potential.
    -As an independent contractor, you are responsible for taxes and you are not an official employee.
    -No benefits/sick days/vacation.
    -Being self employed is much riskier than working for a company as an employee.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

TakeLessons Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent and Culture Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate you!

"Awesome startup with opportunity for growth"

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Relaxed and casual culture/environment, Opportunity to move vertically/horizontally, Attention to individual workers and their needs and desires, Transparency, One on one meetings with manager at least every month, Monthly company meetings

Cons

Open office (if you mind-- I don't really have a preference), Downtown (so parking is a pain), Perhaps too relaxed (to the point of offensive-ness), People tend to be forgetful

Advice to Management

Keep being personal and open with workers, Committing to inclusion and cultural awareness, Keep making workers feel genuinely part of the team

5. "Lesson schedules and pay"

Current Employee - Online Tutor
    Current Employee - Online Tutor

Pros

Ability to set your own schedule while having the students (customers) come to you. You can take on as many students as you'd like, and if there's a time when you cannot accept any new students, it's very easy to say so for whatever amount of time you need to. As a graduate student, there are times when my school work does not allow me to take new students, so this feature I find to be very useful

Cons

They've implemented a new salary style: for each new student lessons 1-5, you earn 60%, 6-10, 70%, etc. up to 90%. As this is beneficial if you get continuous students, a majority of students only want a few lessons to help them with an upcoming midterm or similar.

Advice to Management

Allow us to see our schedule before we accept a new student. It can be frustrating that we cannot get into our account to ensure there is a schedule match before accepting.

"Good people, doing good for others"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TakeLessons is run by fun, passionate people who care about what they do. They are a small, close-knit team of professionals who truly put in their best work every day. The mission is to sustain an online marketplace that enables teachers and tutors to make a living doing what they love. No matter where you start, there are opportunities to truly make a difference while developing your personal and professional skills.

Cons

If you're uncomfortable with change, or prefer a predictable day-to-day gig, the start-up life isn't for you.

Advice to Management

The only suggestion I can think of is to offer formal programs whereby employees can get paid-for professional certifications in related fields. Since this would be an addition to an already stellar compensation package, this suggestion is far from criticism.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Great downtown office.

Cons

Seems like decisions are sometimes made and then changed.

8. "An interesting payment model"

Current Freelancer - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TakeLessons (Less than a year)

Pros

When one schedules a lesson with a student, the web site sends helpful reminders to make sure you get there on time! I also allows you to increase your commission level for that student fairly quickly. They offer a very good deal if you bring your own student to take advantage of their management and payment services.

Cons

You never earn a high commission level for all future students... it's like you are starting from scratch with each new student.

9. "Sold Job"

Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and community. CEO is personable and seems like he truly cares.

Cons

Little room for job advancement

10. "Great collaborative culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

TakeLessons has a very open culture. If you have good ideas, your voice will be heard and you have the power to push things forward. There are no jerks. Everyone is focused on helping the team succeed.

Cons

Things can change quickly. If that's not your cup of tea, probably not the right place for you.