Talbot Korvola & Warkwick Reviews | Glassdoor

Talbot Korvola & Warkwick Reviews

4.1
Brad Rafish
1 Rating

1. "Local firm with countless resources if you know how to utilize them"

Former Employee - Audit Intern in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Lake Oswego, OR

Pros

They have great starting pay rate for intern among Portland area as well as 50% discount for Becky reviews unit.
    Their clients (big cities) are exceptional nice and friendly to the audit staff, you will always have respect from them even you make mistakes at the beginning. Your job won't be extremely difficult because they always respond for your requests in timely manner. Plus, we can always learn something new from the clients during the audit.
    The seniors and managers are great mentors who are willing to teach you anything as long as you ask them. Don't be scared to ask questions as they don't expect you to know everything for first year. However, I heard that you probably shouldn't make the same mistake for next busy season.
    Open door policy among all partners, you can just walk in and ask questions if necessary.
    You will enjoy a lot of different restaurants if you do the out of town audit! The seniors are experts on foods,too! Yummy!!!!
    TKW is also part of RSM.US where you can have the direct access to RSM.us database. There are so many materials from RSM database which you can basically learn them by yourself, such as audit procedures,how to use IDEA data analysis, how to perform sampling selection when you selected the wrong samples at the beginning, etc, I highly recommend you to check out their database when you have nothing to do. (I didn't know this trick until my very end of my intern :( )

Cons

No formal training. If you aren't a FAST learner, you need to reconsider the job. They expect you to ask questions to learn how to do the audit. But I think it's much better to have some basic training for entry level staff. Especially not many people can learn to use software by themselves. I think they should have told the staff which we can learn form the database at day one if the seniors don't have times to do the training. .
    Computers are kinda slow compared to other firms.
    The 20% travels are all condensed to busy season, you should expect you will be out of town for 12 weeks between June to December.
    They don't have snacks or foods at office, you have to bring your own stuffs. : (

Advice to Management

I know there are a lot of training materials in the cloud drive which you could easily tell the entry staff to learn some of them at the day one. I really think it will be super helpful for them to do the works later as well as helping the seniors to save times. : )

2. "Great Local Public Firm"

Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Talbot Korvola & Warkwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic partner group. Really care about their employees and great growth potential

Cons

As in all public accounting, busy season requires long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great practice and family feel. Keep allowing for the flexible schedule.

3. "Senior Auditor"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Portland, OR

Pros

Personal time off is very competitive. The Company has flexible schedules. The team to work with is great. Opportunities for growth are present and attainable.

Cons

Overtime hours are not directly compensated for. Recently, it appears there has been a lack of good communication from senior management to staff. While health benefits for employee are reasonable, they are expense for family members.

Advice to Management

Consider compensation for overtime hours. Offer bonuses aside from profit sharing. It seems like bonuses for performance are only awarded when the company makes money, not for individual performance.

5. "Enter with caution and have an exit plan"

Pros

Continuing professional education excellent -- most from RSM McGladry affiliation

Cons

Transition from original partners to new leadership very rough on folks inside the firm;

Advice to Management

All management team, partners need basic course in employment practices; EEO; skill building in workplace interpersonal relationships