Talbots Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love working here, work life balance is great (in 28 reviews)

• Plus a great employee discount makes it even easier to dress the part (in 31 reviews)

Cons

"Gone Gone Gone - Horrible store manager and upper management - lack of humility, respect and knowledge"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Talbots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice location, clean environment, previously high end talent, friendly staff and clients, quality clothing in nice classic updated looks
    could easily be back on top with new direction and respect for employees

Cons

Schedule is constantly changed without notification, unrealistic demands, rude comments from manager with a touch of racism, unknowledgeable leadership, disconnected and snobby DM, has no concern for employees , they say they irreplaceable. lack of focus, few doing most of the hard work while others are pampered. Lack of proper training. CEO is absolutely lost in her role.

Advice to Management

clean house of store managers/DM's/Rm's Too many have gotten positions because of who they know and not skills they bring to the table. Do a 30/60/90 management peer review as well as performance evaluations. EXIT INTERVIEWS ARE A MUST - you're bleeding talent

You tried to reinvent the wheel for NO REASON.
    Lost dedicated talented people

"Key holder/Sales Assoc"

Former Employee - Sales/Key Holder in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Sales/Key Holder in Michigan City, IN

I worked at Talbots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most clients were wonderful to assist

Cons

Very Low Pay for what is expected, workhours were erratic, management really pushed for credit cards, and no bonus or raises unless you're in management . Did reviews with employees to focus how employee can improve, but no raise or incentive. Clothes are imported and for the price paid some of the clothes needed more quality control.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying. Treat all your employees fairly. Follow thru

"As a part-time employee, there is no benefit package."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

60% off discount and other discount

Cons

There is no sale associate appreciation. No benefit for part time employee. We had increasing in salary after 5 years. If you want to work there as a part time employee it is ok but not good at all. Management is horrible. very selfish and impolite. They don't care about employee health problems. Most of the managers do their personal jobs during businesses hours. Talk to their family member as long as they want on the phone in floor. Management ask you to work for extra hours but they never say thank you. Pushing customers to open Talbots charge.

Advice to Management

be fair. If your employee get mad, you would not have any customer in the store because there would be nobody to help your customer.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX

I worked at Talbots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee , and food on occasions

Cons

Hard work, no commission, full on customer service and no real rewards given when a girl is made

Advice to Management

Be kind to your associates and cherish them while you can. Do not allow friendships inside of the work place to tamper with your personal life. Also do not hire workers in hopes of friendships

"CSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Talbots part-time

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company. Management is geared to a "Do as I say, not as I do mentality." Gossip reigns with this company as most of it's employees are females who love to spread idle and most of the time totally untrue gossip about their co-workers. Management does nothing to stop it and chimes right in. Got called out on the carpet for sending out a message to the entire call center because was told Talbots has a "No Solicitation Policy." However, the message was an attempt to help co-workers not a solicitation at all and was totally misinterpreted by management. However, the company's policy is to "Do what's right for the customer," even if it means circumventing policy to do so. Why then does management not abide by the same policy when dealing with it's employees. The reason is clear: Management cares nothing about it's employees and their feelings and only about protecting it's customer base which provides it's source of Revenue. It's all about the money. The company cares nothing about personal relationships with it's employees, it's only focused on the almighty dollar. That makes it a poor choice of a company to work for.

Cons

See above.....it's all laid out in the Pros (there are none) section.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee relations and give them the same respect and dignity you require them to give to your customers. Bend policies for them and not just the customers.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Talbots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clothes and easy to learn the registers

Cons

They do not care about their employees. They don't promote within. They're terrible at giving you breaks. If you complain to HR they retaliate!

Advice to Management

Have exit interviews and secret shoppers so you can see his management treats staff

"Not what I Expected"

Former Employee - Store Co-Manager in Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Store Co-Manager in Nyack, NY

I worked at Talbots (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Quality Clothes
    Employees
    Award Point System
    Somewhat Life/work Balance

Cons

CUSTOMERS
    Poor Training
    Lack of development and trust
    Favoritism (witness)
    pricey
    poor pay
    Poor HR corp.

Advice to Management

In a short amount of time my experience was horrible from switching out managers to hiring external candidates that do not qualify and not promoting from within or holding employees accountable, to overwhelming staff with "culture" system its all about HER
     ( suck up every rude customer like you a robot ) demanding client info for books contacting them consistently to always having crazy sales dealing with more issues such as marketing and visual not up to standards. Huge theft, basically had another job preventing theft no LP support or guard. managers do not recognize or barley connect, just talk about money. DONT MAKE THIS YOUR RETAIL CAREER, better yet get out of retail, just wasn't for me, and my journey showed me that. Hope this helps those that are seeking out, GET OUT !

"Honest review"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CEO is smart, friendly, fair, and inspiring

Cons

* rare opportunity for growth = no promotions
    * minimal to no annual reviews or raises
    * head-down mentality all the time = do not have friendly banter with other employees when working
    * no regard for work/life balance = no lunches & get in on time, but stay as late as you have to
    * monitors employees comings/goings
    * favoritism & manipulation between employees
    * beware of certain dept supervisors / leadership = manipulating, fake, toxic, harassment

Advice to Management

nothing can be done. management is revered.

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Richmond, VA

I worked at Talbots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the associates at our store. We all became very close.

Cons

Schedule--Our manager chose favorites and gave two of us EVERY weekend and closing shift; yes, it's retail but the schedule was horrific.
    Lack of payroll--There were two of us doing every floorset. It was overwhelming and difficult.

The company genuinely doesn't care about its employees. We were treated poorly and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Work on fully staffing stores; check-in on stores; provide more payroll

"Assistant Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Talbots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service
    Made some lasting friendships
    They provide outstanding service to customers by ordering through internet or phone if the store doesnt have it.

Cons

Horrible upper management
    No work life balance
    They play favorites
    Cant ever take a vacation when you want to unless your the store manager.
    They hire horriable upper management how then takes all credit for your hard work.
    They are still one of the few companies who dont know how to handle visual floor sets.
    Extremely under staffed
    Wont pay you what your worth
    Full time for them is 32hrs a week.
    Dont hire within

Advice to Management

I would of stayed if I was actually wanted and part of the team. But my manager and assistant bullied me into giving notice. Always threating things that were never true!