Talener Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • 2 hour lunches and gym membership (in 14 reviews)

• Can make a lot of money - in a short amount of time (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance at all (in 6 reviews)

• At Talener, you work unnecessarily long hours forcing a one-size-fits-all (in 10 reviews)

"Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Talener full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talener is committed to teaching new employees the basics of new business development, sales tactics, the full recruitment life cycle, and other fundamental aspects of business. The opportunity to move up within the company is at your own pace - there is an untapped earnings potential, as long as you move up from your original position and do what they ask of you. I worked in both the Washington DC and the Chicago offices, and the culture is built on the oft over-used work hard-play hard mentality, but they take it very seriously, which adds to a lot of fun around the office. Incentives are often used on both the individual, team, and office levels. The two hour lunch break to work out at the *company-paid gym membership* breaks up the long work day quite nicely. Would highly recommend to any new graduate looking to learn how to do business in the sales world. Great benefits package including commuter benefits, company-paid gym membership, two hour lunches, (somewhat healthy) office snacks, unlimited vacation policy (within reason) and competitive health/dental/vision plans are a nice cherry on top! Management is mostly open to suggestions and ultimately does have your best interest in mind as the better you do, the better they do. They are open to hearing your goals and helping you achieve them - even if they are more personal than professional.

Cons

Micromanagement on the team level is very prevalent throughout the company. Work hours from 7:45-6:00pm are exhausting, even with the two hour lunch break. The hours are not very flexible, mostly because of the built-in lunch from 12-2. Although the training is inclusive of the technologies that you will be learning and recruiting for, sales training ends essentially ends after the first two months of training.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve your employees strengths AS WELL AS their weaknesses. Be open to different styles of learning - often times new Relationship Managers pick up on cues from management instead, i.e. they become the best version of their manager, not the best version of themselves. Continue to offer new employee incentives on a monthly/quarterly/yearly basis. Offer more programs for employees to work on outside of work (i.e. community involvement events, office happy hours, etc.).

"Bad job"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Talener full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- can make decent money if you stay 3 years and get on commission

Cons

- you get totally micromanaged while making cold calls
    - the managers have no idea how to develop the skills of their employees
    - the executives are terrible and dont care about their employees

Advice to Management

you hire kids from smart schools - let them do their work

"Just no"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Talener full-time

Pros

You may make a friend or two based on the fact that they hate their job as much as you.

Cons

I don't even want to get into detail. Stay away or go clinically insane.

"Not a healthy environment"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Talener full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get experience fresh out of school but it's a heartless environment and they couldn't care less about the individual... only their production.

Cons

It's a chop-shop... Great place to get belittled and to lose all your confidence.

Advice to Management

Get out of the locker room and grow up

"Talener is a cult"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talener full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, hands-on training, rewarding, opportunity to move up fast

Cons

Terrible hours, monotonous work, no freedom, no work life balance, overly micro managed

Advice to Management

Understand that taking advantage of recent graduates is wrong and undercompensating them for the amount of hours and work they put in makes people unhappy. Working longer hours makes people less productive not more productive. By having everyone on the same schedule every single day makes you feel like a robot.

Talener Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Marketing Manager

I'm sorry that you feel like you didn't have freedom or that you were working additional hours. As we are always striving to improve the work culture for our employees, it should be mentioned that ... More

"great learning exp but get out before you are into deep"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Talener full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun atmosphere, young ppl. money to be made.

Cons

crazy long hours, start time is early, work is monotonous, boring in fact. Unless you plan on staying in recruiting for....life then dont stay anywhere including talener for more than 2 years. you become pigeonholed into the industry, it took me a long time to get out as the only phone calls you receive are from recruiters for tech staffing firms. also it becomes increasing difficult when you apply on your own and try to explain that your job is mostly sales/account management. very very difficult.

Advice to Management

i guess continue doing what they are doing as it works for them. it makes you stronger but keep it as a learning experience

"Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Talener full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Merit-Based promotion opportunity for motivated persons
    Great training, always someone to ask for help and people are willing to help you
    Work with other similar and like-minded people
    Getting candidates new jobs is very rewarding

Cons

Tough job because you are learning a business and trying to grow the business simultaneously
    In sales & recruiting, clients and candidates tell you truth and sometimes that can be difficult to hear
    Phone sales is challenging and can be frustrating
    Developing business takes time, not immediate results.

Advice to Management

Keep trying hard to make it a better place
    Keep encouraging the staff, it is a tough job

"Bittersweet"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Talener full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job can be fun and exciting, very high energy. its a sales job. Snacks and unlimited coffee/tea. Beer on tap available last hour of work. Occasional happy hours and catered meals when goals are met. Great learning environment for entry-level sales/ business development. Overtime optional everyday. Great gym benefits after 3 months. Two hour lunches to go to gym is amazing. In the long run, it's a great career if you want to be in tech staffing. you could be making 6 figures if you work hard for like two years.. until then it is low.

Cons

The pay sucks initially (34k before taxes). After closing 3 deals, you get a 5k annual bonus (40k), typically takes 6-9 months. After 3 more deals, another 5k annual bonus. Only then are you eligible for commission that your specific team produces per quarter. Told I would be making 40k my first year (not true). There are separate teams; if a manager on another team has a problem, they will tell your manager instead of you directly. HIGH SCHOOL, click-y behavior at times.

Advice to Management

Increase the starting salary. $17.89 an hour to work in city like San Francisco is challenging, especially for the talented fresh graduates who have options of better pay. Disclose the pay before a job is offered. Many are promised 40k the first year; whe. the base equates to 34k. This may lower turn over rate.

"Good Company and Opportunity, but with the immaturity of campus Greek Life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good place to learn fast and grow- good hours, decent pay, good benefits, set goals for raises, fun environment.

If you can put up with some of the immaturity, it can be a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Success will greatly depend on your team and manager. Some managers will let you be your own person, some will micromanage everything. Success heavily depend on your team/market. Some markets simply do not have the demand of others and therefore being successful in a given market is harder. All teams are given pretty much the same goals when the markets don't support it.

Sometimes personal BS gets in the way of the real goal (to make deals and make money).

Managers claim to value quality over quantity, however, there is constant pressure to hit numbers, even if it means bringing in a candidate that is in no way a good fit and you know you are wasting their time and yours.

Sometimes managers will prevent you from calling a company because of a "close" relationship with that company, implying that if there is a need the manager will be called to work the deal, so you have no chance of ever working an opening at that company.

Sometimes what upper management says conflict with what employees are told by their Senior Relationship Manager on a daily basis.
    Managers are often not held accountable for issues on the team that are a DIRECT result of their direction or management style.

Industry is known for having a very high turn over rate, and Talener is no exception.

Advice to Management

Restructure teams so that they are proportionate to market demand, the current set up causes some teams to do disproportionately well and others to constantly have members with missed goals due to the market. Give people some freedom regarding their team, just because one team doesn't fit doesn't mean another wouldn't.

While every good business needs a model, employees should be allowed more flexibility as not every deal will fit the model and the tendency of managers to pressure making a deal can lead to a loss of a company's business all together (I have seen this personally with a VERY large company with HUGE budgets, they no longer look to work with Talener due to being flooded with unqualified candidates, again a numbers game).

Bottom line this is a good company, with room to grow and become a great one if small things that shouldn't even be an issue can be addressed.

11. "Thank You Talener!"

Former Employee - Group Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you are looking to start a career in sales (and you understand what a career in sales means) I can't think of a better place to do it then at Talener Over the course of the four and a half years I worked for Talener I was constantly learning and had a unique opportunity to grow my sales skill set at a pace that is not typical in most sales orgs. I started in Los Angeles and eventually moved to Chicago when we launched our midwest office in 2013. if there is one key take away that sticks with me from my time at Talener, it's that the more challenging the situation I found myself in, the better off I was in long run for having been in it - and thankfully there is no shortage of opportunities for this at Talener. The folks that work there will become some your best friends and help push you get to the next level both inside and outside of the office. The training program is pretty solid but the real learning will come from actually doing the job. Mike, the CEO, is one of the most loyal people i've ever come in contact with I really can't speak highly enough of him. Once you prove your worth and earn your stripes, the entire management team will have your back no matter what. There are some pretty great perks (keg in the office, free gym at equinox, 2 hour lunches, 100% paid for benefits) but to me, those are all secondary to the value you'll get out of just being in the space and learning from those around you. I can honestly say that there is no way i would have landed the job i have now had it not been for my time at Talener. To Mike and the rest of the crew: Thank you!!

Cons

One con in my mind is the lack of opportunity for those to join the organization who are more than a few years out of college. This is starting to change as the company has continued to grow and new positions have been created but Talener's sales team is 100% organically grown. While this is impressive, i think it would be advantageous to consider creating higher level sales roles for more experienced professionals.