Talon Air Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Talon Air Founder, President & CEO Adam Katz
Adam Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Corporate Captain in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Captain in Boston, MA

I have been working at Talon Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess most people who post here have left disgruntled with a few points to make and the ones who are happy working here don't really write anything. This is a pretty good place to work with a lot of resources available to the crew which most companies expect to be done by the pilots. Fact of the matter is, the aviation industry is teaming with jobs and there is a lot of movement within the work force thus creating a shortage of qualified pilots leading to busy schedules for the ones who stay behind.

Everyone at Talon that I have delt with is professional, courteous and give back the same respect that I bestow upon them. You get your eight hard days off a month (your weekends) which they are very good in letting you have and will generously compensate you if you are needed on those days. The health benefits are better than most. The facilities are top notch and the back office department will cater to you as much as they possibly can. Dispatch will never force you to do anything outside what you deem is safe and legal.

I find that the negative reviews on this sight are slightly unjust and highlight issues that albeit can be valid, are not isolated to this company alone, and in fact are mirrored by many other pilots in similar 135 outfits.

Cons

The schedule can be vexing at times when extra legs are tacked on the day as the sales department is selling flights. Certain crew get flustered by this but seem to forget that the end result of any company is to make a profit. I have never been pushed outside my comfort of duty and rest with this company and feel confident that if I call in fatigued, the company will assit.

During busy days the departments intercommunications breaks down and leads to inefficient usage of resources. As the pilot on the ground you can see the solution clearly but sometimes can forget that there is a bigger picture to the schedule and frustration ensues when the result is not achieved. I would suggest a better form of problem solving between the crew and someone in the company with definitive operational control

Advice to Management

Focus on training the new hires, especially in Dispatch and Back Office so that they feel like they can make better judgment calls instead of tying up the valuable time of a senior department head for a minor issue i.e permission to order lunches for a crew with a 12 hour duty day. That shouldn't be something that takes 5 hours or three phone calls to resolve.

keep up the good work.

2. "Enter at your own peril."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Talon Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None to speak of at this time

Cons

They keep giving you extra work untill you fail.

Owner is a spoled rich boy with not a clue how to treat his employees,

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees.

3. "Political System"

Former Employee - Captain in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Captain in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Talon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talon offers fair benefits. Company is great if you are starting your aviation career and you want to build time in a Jet. They have great people working there but their tal ent, energy and skills might be diminished by the bureaucracy in this company.

Cons

Talon is very Political. This organization does not have a normal company structure. Middle management does not have any capability of making desicions. All is bypassed and judged by CEO. You hardly need statistics to know that something is awry. Ask any pilot in the worforce and you are likely to hear concerns like these:

We are supposed to have the ability to choose our days off, but you wouldn't get them.

Theres too much bureaucracy in this company - people can not get their job done

We hire some terrific people, but if they stick here long enough they seemed to loose their company interest.

From the cockpit you can hear the constant frustration about the company's procedures and rules.

Pilots are always leaving due to lack of good schedule or quality in their salaries

Advice to Management

This company could be so great and could potentially grow so much if management structure could change and inspire their employees.
    I believe that these commons observations are part of the puzzle to solve. Talented leaders are hard to find and skilled workforce takes decades to assemble, company needs to change direction. Pilots will keep lookin for better options where their energy and potential could be evaluated differently.
    There are great 135 operators emerging in the market that could offer better quality of life and better management style.

"Stay Far Away"

Former Employee - Management in East Moriches, NY
    Former Employee - Management in East Moriches, NY

I worked at Talon Air (More than a year)

Pros

If you want no quality of life, this is the place for you.

Cons

Owner is very harsh, he is an attorney who thinks he knows and understands regulations, however with numerous FAA Violations & Civil Penalties its obvious he knows nothing. The pilot pool s always short staffed, so do not rely on any type of personal life. Pay is under market.......Main aircraft is the Hawker 4000 which is not made any longer..... No one stays there long....most pilots move on, turn over rate is huge.

Advice to Management

They keep trying to hire a qualified people to run Charter & Operations, but these people are all powerless, all decisions are made by the owner, who thinks aviation is just another Real Estate venture.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Pilot in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pilot in New York, NY

I worked at Talon Air (Less than a year)

Pros

Working like a slave- Guaranteed

Cons

Stay away, communication is a big failure between departments. Life could be really bad if you do not negotiate terms , make sure terms negotiated are in writing.

Advice to Management

None

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Aircraft Dispatcher in East Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Aircraft Dispatcher in East Elmhurst, NY

I worked at Talon Air (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no positive things to say about working at Talon.

Cons

Management has no idea how to run a company.

7. "Not as bad as everyone says it is"

Current Employee - Operations in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Talon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible people - some of the best in the business. Talon has a small, family feel to it and everyone is really close, but at the same time it still looks and feels like a big corporation. Good benefits, great pay, and endless opportunities for growth and promotions. The company is growing quickly and it is an exciting time to work there.

Cons

The owner can be a bit harsh sometimes, but I think that is what makes Talon so successful. They are currently a bit understaffed which creates more work for everyone else, but management seems to be doing their best to fix that issue.

Advice to Management

Allowing input from the employees (who see first hand what the operational issues are) would be nice. Maybe start an employee referral program to help with some of the staffing issues. Otherwise, you're doing a great job!

"Company Becoming an Empire"

Current Employee - Personnel in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Personnel in Farmingdale, NY

Pros

Medical benefits, paid vacation, salary, beautiful facility, crew room, hangar and airplanes. The management team continues to strive to make Talon Air an even better company to work for each and every day. I am truly happy to say Talon Air is by far the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Rapidly Growing at an extreme rate

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you guys are doing everyday and I am confident that Talon Air can become the number 1 charter company in the U.S.

"Stay far, far away"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Talon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro that there could possibly be are the benefits, although they aren't much to brag about. The hours are somewhat flexible, but only if someone in upper management likes you.

Cons

Paycheck will never increase
    Company does not pay employees overtime
    Owner has said multiple times he does not care about his employees
    Employees constantly stab each other in the back in hopes that they may one day get into a higher position, which never happens
    No room for advancement, the company will hire someone from the outside for low pay rather than promote from within
    Anyone who is hired with previous experience is treated like garbage, and will be a prime target for less experienced employees who do not like to look bad in front of management
    No matching 401K or other retirement benefits

Advice to Management

Shut the business down

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Talon Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun industry to work in. It's quite nice to work with high end clientele and provide 1000% service to them.

Cons

Management is constantly redefining the term office politics. Failure to engage in said politics leads directly to being made "redundant" and subsequently laid off, with absolutely no severance pay. Length of service and quality of work have no effect on management.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and reminding everyone that you are better than they are. If we were all CEOs, your company would fail. Your company would achieve a whole new level of success if only you would let it.