Tamarac Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Tamarac President Stuart DePina
Stuart DePina

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Place to Work & Awesome People"

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been fortunate to work in a couple of different teams at Tamarac. The team dynamics have been great. Walking around the office, I always see team members helping each other out and training new employees. People are always willing to take the time! Although Tamarac is acquired by Envestnet and is continually growing, it has maintained its small company feel throughout the years; every new employee is welcomed and celebrated. One of my favorite things about Tamarac is the open door policy, it is important to feel that I am able to speak to my manager and that I'm heard. The company also provides great benefits to its employees with the recently added benefits of Monday lunches and snacks/drinks/food in every kitchen.

Cons

There isn't enough training and development for managers and employees. Employees don't always see the possibilities of different roles they can grow into or how to get there, and that goes back to the lack of training that managers have on drawing that path for their employees or having a conversation with their employees regarding their growth and career goals. Tamarac is also still developing its company culture, there isn't a defined company culture yet. Each team tends to have a different dynamic and culture of its own. It is getting there but definitely a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Invest in training an developing employees who have the potential to be great leaders/managers some day. Managers should receive training on how to give better guidance or create that path for their employees in order to achieve their career goals.

2. "Project Coordinator"

I have been working at Tamarac full-time

Pros

Great people and company culture

Cons

The company is still operating as a young company

"Room to shine for self starters!"

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate enough to work in a few departments at Tamarac and with several managers. This has been my general experience.

They really value hard work and there's lots of room to grow if you're proactive.

We get lots of fun perks like catered lunches on Mondays and a kitchen stocked with snacks, which contributes to feeling valued as an employee.

In my experience work/life balance is also highly valued by management, which is reflected in a very generous PTO plan.

I also find the product is very impressive and one I'm proud to stand behind. It's fulfilling to work for a company that is successful in it's field.

Cons

In general, I think the cons stem from a lot of growth. It feels like the company is still transitioning out of start-up in some areas so things are improving and being addressed but change takes time.

There are some departments where being a woman is, maybe not challenging, but something you're aware of. There are also departments that draw a less experienced crowd and there can be a lack of professionalism at times.

In some ways departments, and therefore information, is siloed. As the company grows and moves from one team in a single room to many different and larger departments, communication channels and repositories of information need to be established. I think this is definitely improving but, again, transition takes time.

Finally, in some roles it's easy to feel like a cog in the wheel. This can be true of any entry level position but there are steps the organization could take to improve the sentiment.

Advice to Management

Invest time and energy in a mentorship program and cross departmental engagement to help remove those siloes.

Mentorship can also provide opportunities to model professional behavior in the workplace, preparing entry level workers for a more successful career.

Encourage managers to discuss career paths with their employees and offer tools and concrete steps toward upward mobility.

4. "Operations Associate"

I worked at Tamarac full-time

Pros

Has a generous time off policy.

Cons

No team cohesion. Every man for himself mentality. Managers have no management experience.

"Outstanding Place To Work"

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a hidden gem of a place to work. Great co-workers, great product, excellent exec leadership. Industry leader with marquee clients. Salary is competitive. Benefits are amazing. Office environment is very comfortable. No complaints at all.

Cons

No really cons to speak of. Groups and teams can get isolated from one another a little -- easy to resolve, though. A couple key managers have terrible people skills and should probably get some training.

Advice to Management

Maybe mingle more with the day-to-day workers. Have more corporate events and company team building activities. Let people know you care about them and how they contribute.

"Review"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of room for advancement

Cons

Training opportunities could be improved

Advice to Management

Keep focus on growing client base

"Dumb Management to accept that they are wrong even after years of Bad Review"

I have been working at Tamarac full-time

Pros

Chilled environment, friendly colleagues, Some really great people to work with (not the managers or executives though).

Cons

+1 to all cons listed below. I had read all these comments before joining the company but thought people just write bad things. But after spending 1.5 years in company, it feels like each and every con written by others are true.
    1. ALL WOMEN in Upper Management and executive role are literally "all about politics". They have absolutely no knowledge of the job what they are doing. Not people person at all. I have heard them "talking bad things" about each and every person of the company. They are absolutely spreading bad energy.
    2. Management is VERY biased towards people who have been in the company for long time or who all are good at "buttering" (only). Favoritism is CLEARLY visible.
    3. Absolutely no training provided to new comers. There is no formal training actually. And if someone is ready to start working in that direction; that someone is already loaded with tons of pre-assigned work. I wont be surprise to hear that each team is highly stressed out (just because of their managers).
    4. Managers micro-manage a lot. (most of the time by asking very dumb questions).
    5. Managers want to show and maintain the barrier of "senior"/"Junior". This is not healthy environment for ANY company.

Advice to Management

1. Be EXTREMELY nice to all your employees. Any type of discrimination IS discrimination. Management can still be bossy and humble at the same time. (Humbleness is missing big time in the management)
    2. New talents are ready to bring a lot on the table but no-one is open to implement new ideas. (It is said to each and everyone during the interview process, that all executives sit in the office so anyone can go and share their ideas which is absolutely FALSE.)
    3.Promotion is a way of motivating people. Find out a way how to "MOTIVATE" your employees; not just one person or team but EVERYONE. (Same people cannot be awarded every year, just think about it).
    4. Being a Finance industry doesn't mean that you can not spend more on HR/People management. Your employees are your assets - Save them
    5. Employee retention rate is really low. You can check with any employee in private if they want to spend next 5 years with the company. I am pretty confident; more than 50% of your employees want to leave the job TODAY.
    6. GROW as a company, just don't stay where you were 5 years ago. Dont just talk, listen to hidden words. Company politics is the main reason of bad reputation of Tamarac. Fix it until it is too late.

"FinTech's are the way to go!"

Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back and relaxed culture with the caveat that a specific workload is expected to be achieved on-time.

Cons

Have not seen them yet.

Advice to Management

Continue growing the entity upward, but take into account that lean theories can be implemented to add even more growth. Take advantage of the talent willing to work for you and think long term on growth and development

"Data Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Data Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tamarac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great exposure to portfolio management software as well as Tamarac's financial and analytics software.
    - A very young company especially for data associates, CSAs, and data specialists.
    - Great benefits.

Cons

- Early Hours (you will be working on East coast time b/c of duties that need to be done before the stock market opens).
    - Pay was not that great especially for how much work was being done per person.

Advice to Management

Pay your data associates more since they're one of the groups that interact the most with clients and there's a shortage of employees. It really says something negative about the company when employees can earn more going to a customer (investment firm) of Tamarac and get paid more because they have experience with the software.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tamarac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tamarac has great products and a very passionate staff. I haven't yet worked with someone here that I wouldn't consider to be capable, intelligent, and good to collaborate with. Most of the negative reviews on here seem to be from former customer service employees, and do not reflect my experience working in engineering with the development and quality assurance teams, which has been and continues to be fantastic.

On the engineering team, there's a lot of opportunity to work on and distinguish yourself with challenging and rewarding development projects.

Cons

Sometimes i feels like some of the negative aspects of being owned by a financial services-sector company trickle down to us. Luckily, we are afforded a high degree of autonomy from them, and we're starting to see more tech-company like perks.

Advice to Management

Do the needful