Tanager Reviews | Glassdoor

Tanager Reviews

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Deb Fedore

"A Wonderful Consulting Agency"

Current Employee - IT Consultant, Information Security Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Tanager (More than 8 years)

Pros

This consulting agency was started by technical people, and they understand what it means to work in the trenches. They support you in the challenges you face on the job, and are genuinely interested in seeing that your career takes you where you want to go.

Cons

As a small company, they are subject to fluctuations in the market; and since the majority of their work is now specializing in IT and InfoSec government contracts, they now have few public-sector contracts--which limits opportunities for those who do not already have a security clearance or the certifications expected by government agencies.

Advice to Management

None, except to keep on with what you're doing. It's a pity there aren't more like you.

"A Great Launching Pad For Your Career"

Former Employee - FSRP Family Advocate, BHIS, Pediatric Intregrated Health in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Tanager full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people, and support. Worked there for 5 years. Best in the area in professionalism, pay and career development as far as non-profits go. They also offer tuition reimbursement. The skills they teach you translate easily into the business world.

Cons

Be ready to test your communication, documentation and time management skills.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. All of the managers and directors are invested in the future of Tanager Place and do their best to know who you are and what your goals are. Best in the area as far as compliance, community impact and holistic mental health services.

"Excellent Small Firm with Good Core Values"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Tanager full-time (More than a year)

Pros

>Very honest and ethical corporate leadership, concerned with welfare of employees. You can talk to CEO face-to-face, unlike my last CEO who was always on vacation somewhere.
    >The firm has the feeling of a family, rather than a soul-less business. Employees are not numbers at Tanager.
    >The firm does not burden employees with nonsensical training and external requirements, like my last company.
    >Tanager has a good mix of different assignments and there is definitely room for growth. They have recently won new work.
    >Excellent Christmas Party and other nice perks, like laptop giveaways.

Cons

>The only real issue is that Tanager is usually a sub to another larger company like Northrop and Lockheed, whose on-site program managers do not necessarily look out for the interests of Tanager employees.
    >As a small firm, salaries and benefits are not as competitive as larger firms.

Advice to Management

>Advertise your brand more
    >Ensure that if you are a sub on a contract, that the prime treats your employees properly (e.g. equal access to training, badging, etc.)

"Great Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Tanager full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company cares about employees, Flexible, Great Location, Great Co-workers, Bonus and gift perks, Company events are great, great benefits, office lunches

Cons

Work-life balance sometimes suffers, entry-level salaries can be low, management can sometimes be overburdened, Communication suffers in the mist of deadlines

Advice to Management

Keep giving chances to new graduates!

"Awful experience with no growth"

Former Contractor - Helpdesk Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Contractor - Helpdesk Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Tanager as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent health benefits
    -Paid holidays and time off

Cons

-Micro managing to levels I've never seen before
    -No room for growth or increases in pay
    -Hardly any team building or high morale
    -Paying less than competitors, at this contract other companies were paying 10-15% higher than Tanager

Advice to Management

Pay your employees, treat them with respect, stop the micromanaging, and be reasonable. None of this occurred and I've moved on to greener pastures. Fellow employees happily quit or were happy to be laid off, that's how bad this place was.

"Are you ready for a lot of overtime?"

I worked at Tanager full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers and a few competent managers and leads

Cons

primarily small minded people who think that people should work 16 hours a day. No gratitude. I was a new employee and could not attend the holiday party since I was working and my management just wished me luck and went off to the ball without me!

Advice to Management

Just because people are smart, they cannot do it all at he same time, e.g., CMMI, scheduling AND mentoring.

"Small minded middle management, unrealistic expectations, plan on working 60 hours+"

I worked at Tanager full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place if you're a Developer. Looks like a lot of transition since I left.

Cons

no work/family balance. Check your personal life. Worst career mistake of my life! On top of all this, fellow "team mates" will stab you in the back! Nepotism is one key to maintaining employment.

Advice to Management

Once you document a course of action, follow it!

"If you're a workaholic and want no outside life, this is the company for you!"

Pros

Excellent benefts and the company contributes most of the cost..Colleagues are talented and, by-and-large easy to work with.

Cons

Great pay because you'll be doing the work of two to three people so don't be fooled! Don't expect any kudos unless you're one of the many people married to or working with another family member at the company. If you have a professional certification, make sure you're not the only one in the company that has that certification. I wasted six months of my life there.

Advice to Management

Small people with small minds, not experienced in cutthroat corporate America or in managing and motivating employees. Perhaps if you worked elsewhere you may see that Tanager is the exception, and not in a good way.

"Tanager has serious middle management problems that drag the company down."

Pros

The work environment provides a friendly atmosphere, in general.

Cons

They have terrible middle management.

Advice to Management

Communication. That's really all that needs to be said.