Tanana Chiefs Conference Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tanana Chiefs Conference President/Chairman Victor Joseph
Victor Joseph

1. "Work with a meaning, great culture, great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding work with a meaning. Great ability to see results of work, and understand impact of work to communities across the Interior.

Cons

if you have an open mind and positive outlook there really aren't many cons

2. "Good times vs the bad"

Former Employee - Sqaud Boss, Sawyer, Lead Sawyer in Tok, AK
    Former Employee - Sqaud Boss, Sawyer, Lead Sawyer in Tok, AK

I worked at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great money and experience over the 6 years firefighting, went all over the west coast to fight fire and have lots of good memories

Cons

Over the 6 year span there were many stressful times and dangerous times working on the fire crew. some people created a very dangerous work environment and never realized it

Advice to Management

Work on hiring people that dont take the job for granted or for just a paycheck and intensify disciplinary actions

"Health Information Technician"

Current Employee - Health Information Tech in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Health Information Tech in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holidays, Health benefits, Personal time off accrual, Understanding of the interim director of needing personal time off to take care of personal things.

Cons

Not enough busy work, Management is all about management. Trying to complete a task that has been given to you to finish and it has to go through the chain of command and they are to busy to complete the task that you have been working hard on trying to complete.

Advice to Management

Make time for your employees, listen to what their needs are. Be available to them when needed. Don't state you have an open door policy if you aren't available or your door is closed. Employee input is very important.

4. "If your liked work is great, if your not your screwed!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The health benefits are great. We get a lot of holidays and early outs before major holidays.

Cons

I've come to notice that if your not "white" and a supervisor then your screwed. My current supervisor breaks the Human Resources rules all the time and treats my department like crap and the Health Services Director or Human Resource won't do anything about it. As a supervisor your allowed to do what and what pleases and treat your employees however you want. I've had more supervisors than I've had years of employment, all the good ones leave after they find out how dysfunctional this company is. I'm just happy that I'm moving and won't have to be here anymore.

5. "I have been searching for other employment since after my first month"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the great insurance plan that this company provides, as well as employees are able to get seen in the Native clinic.

Cons

The patients that you get to deal with are the chronically inebriated, homeless transients or they have an attitude and sense of entitlement. This is a clinic that is free to them, and they demand the 5 star treatment. The management is also the same. there are a couple of the female managers that are actually decent to work with, but the others are rough to work for.

6. "Very rewarding work"

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time

Pros

I believe what I do at TCC makes a difference & I like knowing that I am serving rural communities across Interior Alaska. Also TCC has a great benefits package.

Cons

The paperwork process for approvals is somewhat long and old school

7. "Watch out for the bullies"

I worked at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Holidays, Vacation Time are at or above average. Good work life balance; patients are mostly appreciative of your work

Cons

The organization promotes a bully culture and encourages behavior that would be unacceptable in most environments (supervisors publicly belittling employees, managers talking smack).

Advice to Management

Develop a Human Resources department that develops employees; stop playing employees against each other.

8. "Management Training and HR upgrade needed"

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be very satisfying and rewarding. The benefits are great and trainings are often provided.

Cons

I've never worked in an organization where nepotism and workplace bullying was so common. Often times management level positions are given to those who are not the most qualified and in return workplace bullying ensues because of insecurity and power trips. Career opportunities for those who want to work hard can be limited due to the insecurities or bullying of other supervisors which is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

360 feedback can be key, it is also very important to have HR involved heavily in the organization with actual policy follow through. Workplace bullying policies should also be considered. I would suggest having Lynn Curry provide a training to managers. Also, managers need more training.

9. "Plenty of nice people!"

Current Intern - Administration Youth
    Current Intern - Administration Youth

I have been working at Tanana Chiefs Conference as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers and supervisor are really nice. Everyone works hard to serve the native people. My hours are very flexible and I get a good long break in the day.

Cons

A lot of acronyms to understand. Need to be social to meet lots of people.

Advice to Management

Keep being nice