Tandem Diabetes "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Tandem Diabetes Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Nov 2, 2018

3.7
Tandem Diabetes CEO John  Sheridan (no image)
John Sheridan
Pros
  • "Good benefits, casual work environment, people expected to communicate professionally(in 7 reviews)

• "Culture is very welcoming and laid back(in 7 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Tandem Diabetes Care is a great company"

I have been working at Tandem Diabetes full-time

Pros

Great work environment, everyone is very helpful and willing to teach.

Cons

Still feels like a startup, which can be a pro for some people.

Tandem Diabetes2016-12-16

"Sales Support and Inside Sales - honest review"

Former Employee - Sales & Insurance Verification Department in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tandem Diabetes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great. Many plan options, really low copay's, great networks, etc. Corporate work environment so you can rest assured you will just specifically be doing your job and not 5 other jobs at the same time. There are some good leaders there that will help you learn and grow. The company seems to be growing rapidly so that should spell more opportunities in an ideal world. Great and competent senior... leadership. The CEO, VP's, and senior managers all seem very capable.

Cons

Okay here we go. First, these are coming from a positive but honest place. I have no animosity toward Tandem at all. For one, the environment is VERY political! Meaning: you have to know the right people in the company, be friendly with the right people in the company, not rub certain people in the company the wrong way, and hang out with the right people in the company, AND be great at your job to get ahead in... this business. Its not good enough to be great at your job if you aren't doing the aforementioned also. I watched the well connected people get promoted to inside sales positions or outside sales positions and then quit the company for a "better job" once that was on their resume. I also saw great people get passed up for those same positions when they have been so loyal and such great and productive employees. Many of the people that played the politics and got promoted moved on while many of the harder working and more productive employees get passed up. People need career advancement. Companies need good people to advance and stick around. Its a win-win but not if you're only promoting the politically connected people. HR, look through your records and I'm sure you will find this to be an accurate criticism. The workload for inside sales and insurance verification can get to a point of madness. I know many people that still work there and there's quite a few that are struggling to keep up. Honestly, its a matter of growing the department and hiring more people for the workload. Instead, when I was at Tandem, I saw management double down on threats and criticism. We were always told to work more and more efficiently even as the workload became too great. There's a physical limit to how efficient any one person can be and there comes a point for additional staff to be added. Weekend work is encouraged (and basically mandatory if you have work still to be done and cant get it done during regular hours). Now, I'll be fair and applaud Tandem for paying overtime for these hours. However, I am sure that most of the time, people want to spend time with their family or friends on the weekend and disconnect from their jobs and go home everyday at a descent time. The overtime culture is hurting your business. Every employee is one good recruiter away from leaving when this is the case. You can't continue to overwork people and keep the same level of talent. Unless your approach is constant hiring and training. It really depends on what type of organization you would like to have. One more is favoritism. Lets be frank. There are people in inside sales and insurance verification that can do no wrong. Even when they mess up, there's little or no consequence. There's also people that do many things by the book and get reprimanded at the first sign of failure. This goes back to the political connections and lack thereof. If you're friends with your boss and the movers and shakers of the company, you will get along fine. If you're not, then you will have issues. That's gotta change. Tandem should have some way of autonomously reporting and investigating these things. There are leads and other management roles that feel they are so well connected, they feel untouchable. People need to get rewarded or receive criticism for their work performance or lack thereof only. It shouldn't matter if you're friends outside of work or if you're best friends at work, or if you're super outgoing or shy or anything in between. Base your interactions at work off merit only and you'll really make this a positive place to be.

Advice to Management

Take these criticisms and this review seriously. Overall its a pretty good company and work environment. However, some of these things can cause a breaking point in people such as myself.

Tandem Diabetes2018-11-02
  3. "Great place to start"

I have been working at Tandem Diabetes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Pay lower than large companies, career growth not there

Tandem Diabetes2018-04-08

"Turning Corporate"

I worked at Tandem Diabetes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back work environment, great benefits, above average pay to those who don't mind working OT and weekends to meet quota.

Cons

Upper management has turned the start-up in to a "micro managed"/ship as many pumps as you can/ high quotas that will never be met work environment. No warnings or PIP, no write ups. If you do something that they think is unethical, you're gone. New management has been brought in for restructuring. Scary!

Advice to Management

Hire upper management and supervisors with experience in medical device. If you say something will happen, please insure it does. No more "we're working on it" excuses.

Tandem Diabetes2016-12-15
  5. "Tandem"

I worked at Tandem Diabetes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

innovative, market disruptive product progressive work environment laid back corp culture growing company

Cons

decent compensation package, not great company more tactical than strategic need better access to payers (insurance companies) quota's unrealistically high

Advice to Management

set modest (stretch but obtainable) sales expectations. Unrealistic quotas are a lose/lose

Tandem Diabetes2016-06-03
  6. "Excellent company"

I have been working at Tandem Diabetes

Pros

Very fun and casual work environment. Great company vision and product.

Cons

There are no cons yet

Tandem Diabetes2016-04-21

"R&D Engineer"

in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tandem Diabetes

Pros

Laid-back work culture, nearly all employees are friendly, humble, and willing to help you out. Work environment where hard work and creative thinking are more important than job title or experience.

Cons

Projects seem to lack clear focus or direction. Bureaucracy/politics seems to isolate departments from working cross-functionally with other departments. The awesome work culture that made Tandem the company it is is being increasingly threatened by bureaucracy and sweeping policies that aren't considered wholly.

Advice to Management

Protecting corporate culture needs to be as important as any other business function. It retains valuable employees while attracting others to work at Tandem. Tandem is a special place, but keeping it unique will require more and more work as it grows.

Tandem Diabetes2015-09-10