Tango Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
B. J. Gorman

1. "Planner, load scheduler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

Pros

Work environment, comradiery. Teamwork. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Company being poorly managed, was sold out to another trucking company

2. "HR Generalist"

Former Employee - Human Resources Administrative Coordinator in Bossier City, LA

I worked at Tango Transport (More than a year)

Pros

The people was great to work with and the pay was right.

Cons

The family that owned the company ran it in the ground and sold it, we all lost our jobs.

Advice to Management

Manage the money better

3. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Tango Transport (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with great technology. Very eager to grow the Logistics side of the company.

Cons

They filed Bankruptcy just as I got hired on and restricted any opportunity to work with customers and vendors. They could not pay their bills.

Advice to Management

Give your staff the time committed to work with potential customers. Once a relationship is built do not pressure the customer as it strains relationships.

5. "Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people treat you very well blue cross blue shield insurance for a good price

Cons

Selling out to celadon

"Working for Campany driver"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA

Pros

West Memphis Terminal is working Fantastic,,

Cons

i been working in Tango 18 month,,I had 6 Trucks break down on hwy, towing to the dealer ,they rent a car or paid for motel and go for the next junk truck,,,That is Beggary job,,They don,t care and don,t worry, sometimes hang on the phone 3 hours to get service shop,,This is pox job,,,

Advice to Management

Ivan

7. "Tango OTR company driver"

Former Employee - Company Otr Driver in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Company Otr Driver in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Tango Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terminals are nice. Free coffee. Vehicle available (for one hour) to go to truck stop area in Shreveport to eat a meal. Free wifi at terminal. Computer terminal for drivers at terminal. There is another terminal in W. Memphis. I only know they have free coffee there too.

Cons

Short lanes, lots of paper runs, Two lane 55 mph farm roads through little towns (35, 25 mph) and local sheriffs looking to get in your wallet. More live load/unload than drop/hook. They pay layover after two hours on appointments. The paper mills are FCFS, so no appointments so you may be awhile waiting to unload/load.
    I was hired as OTR driver and had only a handful of OTR runs (mostly interstate) in three months I was there. The good loads are coming soon, that was my excuse.
    I had to fight, beg, remind, prod to get my tolls reimbursed, lay over, other expenses reimbursed over weeks long periods.
    The final straw was the weekend runs. I seemed to always get a 500 mile weekend run, leaving me in a truckstop all day sunday. Not earning or getting layover pay. If I get a load over 500 miles or get a load home for the weekend, no layover pay. I did not get a load for a two day run over a weekend. I sat in the truck stop on too many weekends.
    I would get 540 mile brokered loads for weekends. I tell the DM I want more miles. They say that was the only load available.
    NO, that was the load I was given. There are other loads but I get this 540 mile load, over multiple weekends. Someone at corporate called a broker, negotiated for this short run, agreed to the terms and then sent it to me. I would have hours and inclination to run a weekend. That is not a factor. Me making money is not important.
    Trying to resolve the issue, I got the "tango treatment" or tango tag team treatment". Where they blow up your phone or Qualcomm promising resolution in the future or the money next check. But only disappointment met me the next week.
    They have Driver Services advocates that I can call to help resolve issues...(RAT out your Driver Manager) if I feel an issue is not getting resolved. That is not a good way to maintain a beneficial relationship with my main point of contact (DM) with the company,
    Perhaps it is the quality of the driver managers.
    As a driver, I was a second class Tango employee. The corporate Tango, in the palace on Financial Plaza, are the important ones.

Advice to Management

Keep that recruitment line open. Remind the Driver Managers the drivers are important too. Don't hire drivers that want OTR and put them on multiple regional runs, especially over the weekend.

"Company milage promise"

Current Employee - Driver in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Driver in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a good group of people to work for. They will get you home.

Cons

Milage is not even close to what they promise.

Advice to Management

Slow down hire process till more freight materialise.

9. "Disappointed!!"

Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Tango Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed to travel to different parts of the country.

Cons

Problem with getting you home when you requested. The loads are more important then the drivers.

"Not Driver Friendly"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driver services is the only redeeming value of this company

Cons

The word is pretty much out concerning Tango. Drivers talk, and Tango is at the top of the list of companies to avoid driving for. I guess I would say that “lack of respect” for the drivers is at the top of the list. Tango keeps the drivers separate from most all office personnel. In the time I worked for them I never met any of my driver managers face to face. This tends to make things very impersonal and all drivers are referred to as a number. DM’s that have been with the company the longest tend to be very rude and disrespectful if you ever have any constructive criticism for them or point out mistakes they have made. If you ever want to make suggestions on how the company can be more productive from a driver’s viewpoint, you be ignored. I could always tell when I was dealing with a new DM, freshly hired by the company. They were always the most helpful and respectful towards the driver. I guess you could surmise as I did, that they were not yet corrupted or tainted by the stressors of their job. This is not to say that ultimately a DM will turn bad. I worked for a period as a Dedicated driver for Wal Mart. Any driver that has had the fortune of driving for Wal Mart can tell you that it is “Stress Free” You deal with the planners and Managers on a daily basis face to face. Very respectful and professional people in my opinion. So in essence what I am saying is that there is no reason to be rude or dismissive. It always leads to problems.

Then there are the lies. Any driver can tell you that this is ultimately a given when you are dealing with a DM. Once again, I do not want to put this label on all DM’s. I did interact with a few that had character and told the driver straight! But predominantly, Tango DM’s will tell you what they think you want to hear just so they can move on to the next fire to be put out. I guess what they don’t realize is that this will only lead to mistrust and more issues down the road.

I had to check my payroll on a weekly basis to make sure there were no mistakes. There were always mistakes. Getting paid for extras such as Layover pay, detention pay and breakdown pay was like pulling teeth! Drivers would constantly have to remind driver managers to submit this type of pay. In orientation they tell the drivers that they are Tangos top priority! That driver get what they are owed. The truth of the matter is, the first thing they check for is a reason to deny your extra pay. Their whole system is set up to do just that. For example,… (and there are many) A “Pre Plan” will be sent to the driver for approval via the Qualcomm system. As any driver does, he or she will use that information to plan their day, route and time to start their clock in order to maximize their hours and get as many miles in as they can. A driver looks at the date and time for their next appointment. Sometimes, or more often then not, a driver will experience some sort of detention time. A driver will eventually come to learn “What to expect” at any given Shipper or Consignee after dealing with them a few times. Its those customers that you have never been to that can be a problem. You are in the dark, so to speak, and need accurate information from the Planners and or the DM’s. Tango is in the habit of giving you an appointment time and then changing it without informing you. There were many time with Tango that I would plan my day according to their info only to get to a shipper and find out that the actual pick up time was later. In most cases hours later. One would think that Tango would agree to pay the detention, but this was never the case. They would go by the updated appointment time and adjust the drivers detention and not pay them for all the extra hours of sitting around. Another favorite of Tango is to give you an appointment time that you cannot possibly make because of appointment conflicts. You arrive late for an appointment, through no fault of your own and have to in essence, “Go to the end of the line” and wait for an opening. Once again, Tango would refer to company policy and not compensate the driver for this wasted time.

I would like to add (for drivers new to the industry) that Tango (as well as other companies) will tell you that they pay you by the mile. This is very common yet misleading. Tango actually pays you for a predetermined distance between two zip codes. What this means to the driver is, you will very rarely get paid for the miles you drive. In my experience a driver will get shorted an average of 20 to 30 or more miles per load. Tango will tell you that it is an industry standard to do this. For most of the major carriers , it is. Once upon a time a company could claim that they had no way to actually determine the distance between two addresses. That may have been true years ago, but with modern technology this no longer holds to be true. What it in essence does, is fatten the bottom line to the company by not having to pay you the miles you ran. Some will look at it as a pittance. But when a company on average shorts hundreds of drivers 20 to 30 miles on every load,… It adds up my friend! Fattening the bottom line for the company is why they still do it. In knowing this, one would wonder why Tango goes through so much trouble to pay out owed detention and layover pay to drivers. It’s not good business and already has them well in the lead of companies to avoid driving for. They truly see the driver as some sort of “Dumb Oaf” who cant put two and two together.

Tango’s Bonus system is set up to fail. Like any company they will base your bonus on such things like “Idle Time” (the amount of time you idle your engine when you are not driving) Tango either leases or purchases trucks that are “Bare Bone” No extras or added comforts in the truck. None of their trucks have APU’s. They expect drivers to shut off their trucks and either “Cook to death” and or Freeze in the winter. Now the winter is not that bad in Louisiana, but if you have ever experienced a summer there, you know that leaving on the AC is a must!. Tango does not care about this and look at it as yet another reason to fail the driver and keep from paying out the bonus.

Recently, Tango had upped their driver referral pay to 1,000.00. And their sign on bonuses to 2,000.00. I also recently heard them advertise this on Satellite radio. Tango is desperate to hire drives. Anyone with any type of intellect can see this. They are losing drivers by the drove! I cannot say that I ever met a current Tango driver that didn’t agree with my assessment of the conditions at Tango. Even former drivers agree and state these issues as the reason they left Tango. Word gets around in the trucking community, and it seems as though Tango has unseated the former King of the hill, Swift as the top company for drivers to avoid. I bear no animosity towards Tango. I am a Big Boy and was in control of the time I spent there. I would merely like to inform any newbie’s to the industry what they can expect if they get recruited to drive for Tango. The sad thing is, Tango will remain a mediocre company with a astronomical turn over rate, until they actually listen to experienced drivers who have viable solutions, and take steps to resolve these problems.

11. "truck driver"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Tango Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent equipment and terminals, good insurance,and benefits, nice people

Cons

shorter miles on each trip

Advice to Management

pay more cents per mile for experience