Tangoe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Bob Irwin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management seems disconnected from agents (in 20 reviews)

• t room for growth but they did this anyway (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Feel very loyal, have turned down requests to interview elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tangoe is a great company to work for, in my opinion. The culture here is just the right balance of professional, yet laid-back in terms of things like dress code (except during some client tours), and they allow dogs in the office. This backs up what management tells us: that we value the things that really matter (as opposed to appearances). We have an annual ethics training to remind us that our company values doing the right thing, and we've recently started having monthly Town Hall meetings since Bob Irwin became the CEO, in which he reminds us all of our company goals and values (such as, in Bob’s words, “We work for the good of each other” as opposed to “I work for the good of me”). And it's not just a top-down culture - every individual employee I know here, also embodies and embraces this positive culture with great ethical values and a commitment to each other - in other words, we all work hard and treat each other respectfully, out of our own commitment to do the right thing and benefit each other, not just ourselves (but we do all get the benefit individually too, on account of this culture).
    Personally, I feel very valued at Tangoe - they recognize my contributions, my supervisors periodically make sure I'm being paid enough, without me even initiating salary negotiations, and my co-workers tell me they appreciate what I do and like working with me (and I try to do the same for them). Because, seriously, I work with the best team anyone could ask for - I am so grateful to get to work with these guys.
    For reasons like these, I turned down offers to interview at another company that a former co-worker moved to (and tried to get me to follow him there, heh). It sounds like a great company, and he thought they would even offer me more money there, as well as equal flexibility in terms of hours and working from home just like I do at Tangoe, but I feel very loyal to Tangoe, and I feel very valued here - and I know they legitimately do need me, so I don't want to leave my wonderful team with all the work that would be a lot harder for them than for me, because of all the domain knowledge I've already accumulated over my 10 years working here.
    So yeah, in summary, I love working for Tangoe, and I look forward to staying here many more years.

Cons

Honestly, I haven't personally been terribly concerned by all the merger activity, but some people have... The one thing that actually makes me consider working somewhere else someday is that eventually I would like to have a job in an area I'm really passionate about, such as educating the public about nutrition, or activism with regards to cruelty to animals (or humans!), something that would really make the world a better place. But I can't fault Tangoe for "just" doing Telecom Expense Management and the like...sometimes it's actually nice knowing that it's relatively inconsequential, no one's life is hanging in the balance if I make a mistake or can't get to some task as quickly as someone would like... But someday when my kids are not competing for attention, I would like to commit my life to a greater cause.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I could give them any helpful advice... I'm not trained in management, and I don't desire to ever be a manager, so I'll just leave that to them, haha...

Tangoe Response

Sep 25, 2017 – Senior HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are so happy you truly enjoy working at Tangoe and appreciate your loyalty. Its because of employees like you that Tangoe has such a... More

2. "It is all about the atmosphere"

Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Attendance policy\Vacation time. 20 days total vacation plus 24 hrs of flex time, linking and generous point system.
    - *****Listen to headphones while working*****
    -******Bring Dogs to Work*******
    - Work From home
    - Proformance based yearly raises (though very small)

Cons

- You are assigned and emails and have open cases that you have to send several emails from a day. All while getting back to back calls. There is no dedicated time for working email cases but you have strict time that you have to do them. I often work off the clock just to send all the emails that I need to for the average 10+ cases I have
    - The extremely strict script you have to sometimes be rude and ignore customers to get in things. The script is often needlessly redundant. Customer: Thank you, that is all I need Agent: Is there anything else I can assist you with (required).
    - Many of the rules you have to follow are very vague and sometimes lack information a lot of things you have to guess.
    - The reference material is badly organized, formatted and not updated enough
    - Shift bidding without even the option to keep anything close to your current shift.
    - Small raises for "promotions"
    - small 401k Matching

Advice to Management

-Set aside time for agents to work cases.
    - update reference material so that it is helpful.

"Needs some changes"

Former Employee - CSM in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - CSM in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Tangoe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Clients
    Growth and Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Too many clients assigned to each Manager (all levels)
    Management Communication is lacking
    Training is hit or miss - they need trainers who are available and can answer how new applications work with your client

Advice to Management

Communicate better with managers under you what is required, what needs to be learned and provide better training.
    Especially important for remote working managers and their team members.

"Growing bigger doesn't always mean better."

I worked at Tangoe full-time

Pros

There is global opportunity for employment.

Cons

They can't seem to get their act together.

5. "Overall Tangoe is a great place to work if you are beginning a career."

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Austin, TX

I worked at Tangoe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had great manager and a good working environment

Cons

The pay is too low.

6. "Lots of changes"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work/life balance
    - New facility

Cons

- Lots of significant changes within the last two years
    -Limited upward mobility

7. "Good Team Positive Attitude"

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team members. Collaborative within the teams. Culture changing toward interdepartmental collaboration.

Cons

Lot of change over the past year. Sometimes difficult to stay on top of it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right things. The last 6 months have been a huge improvement. New management team is very supportive.

"Former employee"

I worked at Tangoe full-time

Pros

Most pros went away once the company was sold

Cons

Managent that had little concern for employees

9. "Good Starting Place"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Tangoe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entry-level work means entry-level positions.
    Hired me without any experience in the field.
    Training on-going and geared toward actual situations (not theory-based).
    Average starting pay for the field (was low when I started, company-wide increase brought it up to fair market).
    Was work-from-home based.
    Above-average health, vision, and dental benefits

Cons

Work-from-home policy changed company-wide to merit-based when I was hired as unconditional work-from-home (as a result of another department abusing the prior work-from-home policy).
    Lateral movements only (hard to get promoted...when you do, it's not an increase in pay, just a job title change and change in responsibilities).
    Usually hired externally for management, but management had no experience in our line of work.
    Arbitrary Quality Assurance standards that do not account for how much is beyond the employee's control
    Starting pay was lower than market average
    Going from contract-to-hire meant a pay cut rather than a pay increase.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent within your employees and groom them for positions.
    Then, give them real opportunities to use these skills so they can put real experience on their resume.
    Hire internally more than externally

10. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Tangoe full-time

Pros

Challenging environment with great opportunity to work with F2000 companies

Cons

Politics bother people and there is lots of turnover

Advice to Management

Please be more clear on direction and make individual decisions.