Tangoe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Bob Irwin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Good Environment to work on"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get the freedom to perform the task in your manner by following the process policy and it also leads you to complete it before the SLA's.
    Your hard work and smartness to solutions pays off and it helps you in the career growth.
    You get opportunities to switch to your domains as well internally.

Cons

The Real Time Metrics tool

"Once of the worst places to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Tangoe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was close to home. That's it. Some people want to improve the systems and processes used in the company, unfortunately they're not in charge.

Cons

Where to begin? Company making acquisition at a frantic place without giving time to integrate systems and getting the best people. Some professional employees not very professional-some have absolutely no etiquette. Pass the buck, not my fault mentality. I would expect as much, since those are the type of people getting regular promotions. People in charge are first to blame others. Lots of negative gossip behind your back followed by outright lies. Best practices used in the industry really not followed here; apparently they think they're better than companies that have been around much longer and are industry leaders. Would not go back even if they doubled my salary. Some people were just plain mean spirited and horrible. They will have to work very hard to move up to 'Suck at what they do'. Many I have worked with have said Tangoe was a much better place to work before these people joined the company.

If I could give 0 stars for some of the ratings, I would.

Advice to Management

Frantic growth has led to more, just not the best people.

"My experience with Tangoe was extremely disappointing."

I worked at Tangoe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tangoe is a public company.

Cons

From an employee perspective, there is zero employee engagement, poor senior leadership, no room for growth, long hours for mediocre pay, and poor employee morale.

From a business model perspective it is hard to see how Tangoe has any chance to succeed as a viable company in the future. Tangoe is very much a global company with offices in China, Europe and now Brazil and Tangoe also has some impressive logos in its client portfolio, but even with all of that the company has only been able to generate a GAAP net income of 5 million dollars for all of 2013. The company is also trading at a P/E ratio of 157.33, meaning that investors are expecting growth in the future. But the growth has been limited and any growth the company has seen thus far was purely due to an acquisition strategy and not organic growth. This ties into the lawsuit Tangoe is fighting in which they allegedly mislead investors on their growth strategy. (You can form your own opinion) Tangoe reached its ceiling after its IPO in 2011 and it will be interesting to see the revolving door of defections of senior leadership in coming years as their stock options vest.

Advice to Management

Be honest to employees.
    Create and develop more defined career paths.
    Compensate your employees fairly.

"Temped so bad it hurt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT

I worked at Tangoe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy is encouraged. I was ok with being assigned my desk, phone and email with little discussion on tasks and priorities. If I didn't know what I was doing it would have not have been pleasant.

Cons

I was hired as a temp. I was told my predecessor had to leave because she was experiencing some personal problems. Two and half successful weeks in my manager started nitpicking my work and was no longer talking to me. One day she noted "you must be swamped" and the next I wasn't doing my job.

Friday I was called into HR and my manager proceeded to tell me how horrible of a job I was doing. The HR director actually backed up my manager and said I wasn't a good fit. I was walked out of the building.

My predecessor started back at work come Monday morning. I discovered this when she accepted a connect request on LinkedIn.

Advice to Management

Honesty is always the best policy even if it is bad news. I would have still taken the job even if I knew it would only be a 3 week assignment. Immoral business practices aren't illegal but in this particular situation could have been avoided with pure honesty.

"Tangoe Preview"

Current Employee - CSA in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CSA in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people in entry-levl positions.

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of respect for employees. Theft of ideas.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the frontline. They are keepin the coming afloat.

"Do not bother"

Former Employee - Mobile Device Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Mobile Device Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at Tangoe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

money was reasonable - close to my house
    The do not hire contractors - so direct hire position (something I have not done in a long time - and was interested in).

Cons

I never worked here. Went on Interview last year. First day - I went in and interviewed with 3 people. Never heard back - then a month latter got called in for a second interview. Said I was a better fit for a different position. Went in for a second set of 3 interviews. Again - heard nothing. Then called in for a third set of three interviews. The third person seem kind of rude spent whole interview bragging of an upcoming trip to the UK. A week latter I was told I was not strong enough. A few month ago they called me again - I hung up on them. So I took 3 days off from my job - lost a lot of money and was told I was not qualified for a job I am still doing (at a different company). I now support a 20,000 device environment (the smallest I ever ran) - when asked about the Tangoe product - I tell companies that not only are they a niche product but they are run by idiots. MDM solutions -Boxtone / Airwatch / Mobile Iron - I work with all but Tangoe. By the way - I have been in the industry for 15 years and hold multiple certifications and awards. I was not impressed. Poor talent evaporators. They waste your time.

Advice to Management

Director stated he was gambling his whole company on Rim/Blackberry going out of business. It might happen however the Canadian government is backing Rim?Blackberry - so this particular gamble seems risky.

"Castles in the air"

Current Employee - Junior IT Gopher Type Operations Person in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Junior IT Gopher Type Operations Person in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There *are* some brilliant people and some interesting technical problems

Cons

GAAP reporting show losses, so financials are pro-forma. The same constructively wishful thinking is applied to product deadlines, headcount, and the layout of cubicles not even worthy of the name.

Advice to Management

You may be the Leader, but it creates a major cognitive dissonance thing to be told we don't have 10K for a new Oracle license but we can pay executives millions of dollars per year. Changing a mere underling's title to "senior mere underling" without a pay increase or even a new chair leads one to question her real value to the firm.

"job is like a pit-stop at a nascar event. temporary"

I have been working at Tangoe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people 5/5
    policies are decent 3/5

Cons

benefit is 2/5
    want a pay increase? 0.5/5 chance
    culture is 2.5/5.
    slow at adapting for such a small company, its sad.
    keep looking even if you get the job, maybe you can get better.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees because you are still a small company compared to the world or you will dive like your stocks.
    Keep riding the way you do, everyone will keep using you like a used tamp...
    good luck

"Great potential, poorly carried out, would not work here again."

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst

Pros

Okay pay/market pay
    Okay benefits
    Easy job
    Looks good in your employment history.

Cons

In fighting
    No support on major issues
    Poor relationship with a vast majority of vendors.
    Next to no employee knowledge of a majority of vendors
    Blatant nepotism
    Unfair promotion selections
    Lack of incentives
    Under utilization of skilled employees
    Poor departmental relationships
    Lack of general knowledge about telecommunications across the board
    Poor communication.

Advice to Management

Give some type of incentives, anything, to employees willing to put in the hard work to support the company. Utilize those who show that they are high functioning and skilled employees better. Offer bonuses to employees annually, even Wal-mart employees receive bonuses, you have the money. Improve relations with other departments, instead of building more rivalries and animosity. Do not promote employees who can barely perform their existing job functions let alone give them large amounts of responsibility. Promote more employees internally instead of bringing people off the streets who have no experience to work above those who have years of it. Look closely into workflow issues, especially when one employee is essentially doing the work of three from different departments. Listen to your employees instead of invalidating them because it suits you. Look to improve vendor relations with carriers besides Verizon and AT&T. Hire more people with actual experience and education relevant to the industry or at least experience. Provide more opportunities to internal employees before hiring more employees or filling a position from outside. Provide better tools, I used a poorly functioning, ancient computer for nearly two years before getting a new one while other employees were getting corporate phones, laptops and iPads. Offer more assistance to employees who are obviously distressed with the state of their work environment. Put an end to the blatant nepotism. Provide clear and concise training to all employees across the board. Place more accountability to those who have a long history of mistakes instead of protecting them because they're tenured. Provide clear and concise job roles to everyone and ensure those in client services understand them, half of them can't even tell you what certain departments, giving false and unreal expectations to those who perform the work for the clients. Again, apply some feedback from your employees. Give people a reason to keep working there instead of a list of why they should quit.

"Overall Negative Experience"

Pros

Tangoe does give great benefits and competitive (for the most part) compensation, unless you are working for Help Desk.

Cons

There is no culture and little employee satisfaction at Tangoe.

No form of feedback or coaching until something goes wrong.

Management is highly unapproachable on any given day.

Little room for upward mobility - For internal promotions, compensation in not negotiable

No work life balance

Advice to Management

Give feedback, good and bad. Do not wait until something goes wrong to say something o the employee.