Tapestry Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Tapestry Solutions Director Geoff Evans
Geoff Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule (You make it yourself) (in 8 reviews)

• Can choose your own hours to work, during the school year and in the summer (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay as a student, which is understandable though since they have the whole university right next door to choose and recycle from (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement is also not great (in 3 reviews)

1. "Poor leadership"

Current Employee - Military Simulations Analyst in Hohenfels, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Military Simulations Analyst in Hohenfels, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brand name and part of Boeing.

Cons

Leadership is bringing out the greatness in your people. There is no leadership. There is however lots of management.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people and what they do.

2. "Tapestry Solutions long time employee"

I worked at Tapestry Solutions full-time

Pros

Benefits good. Salary average.

Cons

No management support. No room for growth.

3. "Simulations Facilitator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hohenfels, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hohenfels, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hands on training with multiple simulations systems. Get to work directly with US military and NATO partners. Constantly learning new things on a daily and weekly basis, site manager (D. Wedding) is exteremely good at managing his subordinates and the team lead (G. Collins) has a great working relationship with his fellow team members.

Cons

During rotations we conduct 12 hour shifts, PTO has recently been cut from 3 weeks to 2 weeks, project manager is extremely tight with the budget, first raise in 5 years occurred this year and next year we will be three months into new contract so no raises there. Overall Hohenfels Sim Facs are over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Relook the salary ranges for the Hohenfels Sim Facs since they see a vast majority of all European Exercise Rotations there and are not afford the oppurtunity to gain a little extra money by going TDY like the Sim Facs at Grafenwoehr, Vicenza and Kaiserslautern.

4. "(Student) Software Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Tapestry Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Right next to Cal Poly, you can work around your school schedule. Decent first time intern / part time position to jump start you into a more legit role.

Cons

Very low pay as a student, which is understandable though since they have the whole university right next door to choose and recycle from. Its an adequate foot in the door though. Front end is in Actionscript. Although its a good experience for first timers, most of the modern world uses javascript, so take that for what its worth.

5. "Good start"

I worked at Tapestry Solutions part-time

Pros

They are helpful, nice and make the learning the process easy. The job itself isn't terribly hard to do and with practice makes perfect.

Cons

Doesn't really give me the skills I need for my future career and also the pay is alot lower than my friends get at other companies that are similar.

Advice to Management

Explain the software to employees better because it may be difficult to learn and understand some of it. The other testers are a good help too.

6. "Work here if you have to"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Tapestry Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll get some industry experience and likely work with a large codebase which is helpful if this is your first formal software job.

People are generally friendly.

Cons

They use antiquated languages/technologies that you won't ever use again in your career.

Most part time students don't get to work on anything important- we end up fixing the annoying bugs that no-one else wants to touch.

Part timers get ancient workstations- I had to bring in my own monitor because the resolution was too low to fit most of their code on 1 screen.

Depending on your team most people will stick to their desks and rarely talk with each other. Not many people are passionate about what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Better understanding of your engineers and keeping up with modern technology.

7. "Tapestry Solutions"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Tapestry Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, Nice co-workers, good starting career

Cons

Projects frequently change or are scrapped,
    the client is the government, who is a picky client
    Uses old technologies

8. "Working as Part Time Software Tester"

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions part-time

Pros

The environment here is relaxed and friendly. Never had a bad experience approaching Developers or more senior staff. I also enjoy the complete freedom of setting my own schedule.

Cons

High turnover among the test group creates a knowledge gap, which makes it harder to bring new testers up to speed. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Try and retain your employees, (full time and part time)

9. "Was a good company"

I worked at Tapestry Solutions full-time

Pros

It is starting to get better

Cons

Not very employee friendly company

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions full-time

Pros

Tapestry Solutions has a small company feel, backed by an iconic industry leader - Boeing. People are friendly, very hard-working and proud to be part of Boeing. We have a brand new leadership team in place, including a new president who is committed to promoting a "One Tapestry" culture. The idea is to provide an environment where everyone feels engaged, empowered and aligned to help the business grow. It's working, because the orders keep coming in and we're doing better than ever!

Cons

Tapestry is the culmination of several companies that were acquired by Boeing, and has had several leadership changes over the years. This has caused confusion in terms of branding, product name changes, and general lack of understanding of what the company does (outside of your specific product/business area. But things are improving with the launch of the new website last November and new leadership team.

Advice to Management

Understand that "Rome wasn't built in a day," so it will take time for people to catch on to the new company culture. Many people may resist change, especially long-term employees.