Target Reviews in Arvada, CO | Glassdoor

Brian Cornell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough home/work life balance" (in 1637 reviews)

• "The pay is fair until you have to carry the load of other work-shy team members" (in 1737 reviews)

1. "CASHier"

Current Employee - Target Cashier in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Target Cashier in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay (10.50$ starting) friends managers and team members, and great benefits, always being told your appreciated

Cons

Asking about the redcards all the time, high pressure to watch self checkout and fraud.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and leadership towards everyone working for you.

2. "It was alright"

Former Employee - Cashier and Food Prep, Sales Associate in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier and Food Prep, Sales Associate in Arvada, CO

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for simple work.

Cons

Food ave was a black hole i wasn't allowed to leave from.

Advice to Management

Allow people to move around more in the store.

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, overall.
    Employee discounts.

Cons

Constantly pushing more hours on me, even though I very clearly wanted part time work.
    HR likes to use a fear based mentality with staff.

Advice to Management

Stop using fear to motivate employees. It rarely works.
    But guilting staff into picking up extra shifts. If they want to work more, they will.

"It has a good experience to learn the other side of the logistics and how to work the public."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Arvada, CO

Pros

Learn a new job in retail and how assist guest to find what they are looking to buy or recommend something better.

Cons

The management team does not d a good job of communicating to al levels. They do not follow thru with what they say they are going to fix or find a alternative way do something.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of training and follow thru with all suggestion.

5. "Fairly easy, fun co workers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arvada, CO

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they give you good hours

Cons

they could pay you more

Advice to Management

management's good

"Clickish, immature and fickle store Executives; it's like being in High School all over again."

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Arvada, CO

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well maintained clean stores with a clientele that is upper middle class
    Decent benefits once you achieve Management Level
    In general the store employee team's are great people

Cons

Executives attempt to manage through fear and intimidation
    Retribution for perceived lack loyalty to Executive Team is rampant; very aggressive to
    Goals and priorities change constantly; never given a chance to succeed
    Focus is always on your perceived shortcomings, never on your accomplishments
    The company is so focused on selling their damaged debit/credit card products; increased quotas after one of the largest data breeches in U.S. history; people loose their jobs here because they are not able to sell this severely compromised product.
    Executives are infallible; anything wrong is caused by someone else
    Store Executives have no respect for their leadership teams whatsoever; you are their scapegoats

Advice to Management

Target needs to hire people at Executive levels who have more life experience; they are typically hired right out of college and given an executive store leadership role. Most are not mature enough to deal with this professionally and end up treating it like High School. Very petty and immature and vindictive.

7. "Low Pay but Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Arvada, CO

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Community involvement
    Great Benefits
    Easy to get time off
    Team leads usually awesome

Cons

My experience was, "train yourself".
    Difficult to get full time hours.

Advice to Management

Train new employees well from the get go. Don't assume that the "trainers" you assign actually care to train new employees.

"Promotions Are Political, Be Prepared To Be A Kiss Up If You Want To Get Ahead."

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Arvada, CO

Pros

I started working at Target as a manager straight out of college. For someone coming into the real world the compensation was good. There were a lot of people that I got close to there and forged some friendships with. My group of ETLs that went through training was very tight, though none of us are with Target anymore.

Cons

The hours are long . For ETLs they want you to work at least 10 hour days, which are even longer during the holiday season and when your ETL turnover is high (which happens in every store). You also have to work every other weekend.
    Promotions are political, and have little to do with actual work performance. If you kiss up enough to the right people you are promoted, which is why I left. If the Store Manager or DM do not like you, you will not get ahead. My DM called me "insignificant" once, despite having the only green area in the store and the only ETL with no hotline calls from disgruntled staff.
    Dealing with disgruntled guests and having them cuss at you out for a policy that is clearly stated on the receipt and at guest services is annoying. There is not enough money in the world you can pay someone to have them yell at you over a $10 toy.
    Senior Management strongly discourages helping your team if they fall behind. I would help mine and I got in trouble for not holding them accountable. We were understaffed as a store and my team leads had to wear many hats (backup cashier, work abandon, do first interviews), so I would help them pull the product for their endcaps, help work their product, etc. I thought it was wrong to not help them since I knew they were trying and if they went down, I went down.
    District managers are very arrogant and only concerned about their promotion, not your development. They also focus on everything you are doing wrong and rarely praise they good you have done.

Advice to Management

The DM was very arrogant and seemed to only care about his promotion. He only focused on the negative, I never once heard a compliment or a thank you from him in 2 years.
    Make promotions based on competence and past performance, rather then who can kiss up. My example is a co-worker who had worked at the store for a year had 4 hotline calls on him from his employees but because he would kiss the behind of the Store Manager and DM he was promoted before I was. I had nothing but recommendations from my employees and treated them well, as well as hold them accountable. However, I am not a person to kiss up to someone to get ahead, I let my performance speak for itself.

Showing 8 of 31,350 reviews