Target Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.2
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open door policy. Great team spirit and room for growth

Cons

Weekends, holidays and nights are a must.

2. "Pay and Growth"

Former Employee - Perishables Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Perishables Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and company as a whole to work for and with.

Cons

Pay and promotions could use some work

Advice to Management

Recognize the ones who work hard and reward them.

"Read carefully before applying for this job."

Current Employee - Specialty Lead for Style in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialty Lead for Style in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

20% off Wellness items (champion brand) and fresh produce
    10% everything else.
    If you are leadership or manage to work over 30 hours the health coverage is ok.
    Retail offers flexible schedules in general so if you need something to work around other jobs then great. But you are at the will of Target’s business needs.

Cons

I have been with this company for 16 years. And it’s completely changed it’s structure. The structure before was completely fine and worked and I understand you have to evolve and adapt to keep up with competition but here’s what I have to say:
    I am in an (hourly)supervisor lead role. I value my team members and that’s why I regret to tell you that now I have to treat them like they are replaceable. Target wants to cut everyone (veteran/seniority type) employees down to 20-25 hours a week. Some of these team members have worked very hard to earn their 40 hour a week schedule to pay their bills and have health coverage and target just doesn’t care.
    They have added on more jobs to each department lead without compensating them for the extra workload. “And if you don’t like it then leave” is Target’s attitude.
    If you are interested in a management/salaried employee position don’t think you will get hired on as a supervisor and work your way up. This rarely happens. Because of the amount of workload to be done has increased, its nearly impossible to achieve a level of excellence in our job performance. Target hires unqualified fresh out of college managers that most of the time never worked retail. This company and all of its stores are becoming a revolving door for talent.
    As a salaried manager you will work 50+ hours a week and you rarely get to come in early so you are giving up most of your day to target. Forget seeing your family during the holidays. Target owns you. So in conclusion, there is horrible work/life balance.

There is an excessive amount of training that each employee has to go through that is unnecessary and the company gives you no training hours to get it done. It’s basically learn 20 different job duties on the fly and do it during peak hours when you need those people on the floor.

Let’s talk about the facilities. For a multi billion company, they could afford to shell out the money to improve the bathrooms for the guests. Some stores have updated fancy bathrooms with automatic toilets and faucets but most stores do not. You want the guest to think your upscale then have a bathroom that matches that vision. Let’s see they turn the air conditioning off when the store is not open so the poor unload team is sweating bullets during the hot summer trying to work faster. And even when the store is open the air condition quality is poor. Guest complain about it all the time and I have literally had team members pass out due to the heat in the building.

This company tells you they are making these changes to be there for the guests but they are just trying to save money to compete with amazon. They are losing great people left and right and I hope they get their act together. Because they will never be able to hold on to talent if they continue down this path. Maybe this is how retail is in general now but it’s not a philosophy I want to be a part of.

Advice to Management

This is really directed at corporate because regional/group/ district and store level management are just implementing absurd ideas- All my advice is stated in the above. Spend the money to keep employees happy and they will work hard for you. And in turn will be great with the guests. Go back to your old structure with some of the structural changes. Too much change at once has hurt. Not everyone is replaceable.

4. "It’s ok for A short term job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

They are pretty laid back about what you wear(long as it’s red and tan), got pretty decent hours, pay was good at 11.50 a hr, benefits after 90 days.

Cons

can’t really think of one. Long as you get to work on time and do your job no one bothers you

5. "Terrible Management Choices"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company! Great quality of products!

Cons

Terrible Choices for a Management Team.

Advice to Management

If you don't have the proper people skills, you don't need to be managing at Target or any job overseeing a group of individuals, with different personalities. The only plus about the management team, is when they manage to either get fired or manage to find something else, somewhere else. Hint, that's why they are forever getting rid of most of the managers working within the company. Most of them come in with a negative set agenda before even assessing store issues. They are very rude and show great favoritism. Most of the management team are already miserable when they come in and seem to have settled because they couldn't get on anywhere else due to whatever reason(s).

6. "Executive team lead"

Current Intern - Executive Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Executive Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company to work for
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Working weekends, nights, holidays, and long hours

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

7. "Store-side is a rough balance of developing yourself personally while being pushed to your limits."

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is making strides in the right direction to stay competitive. Salaries are generally higher at store level. Best practices encourage structure and consistency.

Cons

On the store side, the team is not taken care of. You're not required, on paper, to be accessible 24/7 but between group chats, email, alarms, and meetings, you are adding onto an already 50-60 hours work week, as you are still expected to get your job done, but also have an immaculate looking store at all times. You will be pushed beyond what you think your limit is, which is good from a personal development standpoint, but you will get burnt out and your performance will decline. Technology in stores is out-dated and new initiatives are rolled out before completion, causing a lot of troubleshooting and extra work. You are expected to wear all hats at all times, no exceptions.

Advice to Management

Respectfully push back and be genuine about what it takes to run a store. Don't pull 5-10 teams from their stores to go make another store look great because there are company visitors in town. Masking the issue will never see a resolution. Take care of your teams.

8. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, Nice customers, security keeps store safe

Cons

I would never get off work on time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job.

9. "Nice company"

Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with new people
    Benefits if you are full time

Cons

Always pushing for sales
    standing for long hours

10. "Great out of college job"

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

If you are willing to work really hard it will be worth it

Cons

You work really hard, under pressure, and with high expectations.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees with raises, review grades and career advice!

Showing 186 of 28,903 reviews