Target Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough home/work life balance" (in 1637 reviews)

• "The pay is fair until you have to carry the load of other work-shy team members" (in 1737 reviews)

1. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Flow Team/Backroom Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Flow Team/Backroom Team Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love the amount of teamwork that goes into all of our work. There is a lot of space for individuality, but it's great knowing you have good people willing to help if your work load is heavy.

Cons

I haven't run into any personally, but I guess some would be the early hours and sometimes the six truck scheduled work weeks. It can be exhausting to some, but I enjoy the work.

Advice to Management

Key up the great team moral!

2. "good headstart as a first job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amiccable environment and inclusive/patient workstaff

Cons

understaffed for employee/coworker related services

Advice to Management

hire more HR positions

3. "Just Ok"

Current Contractor - Remodel in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Remodel in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target as a contractor

Pros

Regular Breaks, no overtime, store looks nice

Cons

Just a human mill where robotics are key to success; management likes or hates you, no in between

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing. Teach, don't nag. Take responsibility rather than avoid it,.

4. "Good for the short term"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Pretty set schedule for myself, not all
    Pretty nice team, love the team feeling

Cons

They don’t really care about people the way they say they do, you’re just another cog in the machine

Advice to Management

Stop letting the good ones go

"Company Does Not Care About You"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hiring process was fast, since I was new to the area and needed a job

Cons

- Offensively low pay
    - Low hours if it’s bit a busy season, but will tell you just to stay strong with them until the next busy season
    - Encourages people to come to work sick
    - Must be a Full Time employee FOR A YEAR before being eligible for any benefits.
    All of this adds up to show that they do not care about their hourly employees in the slightest.

Advice to Management

On my second day, a team lead mentioned doing what they can to keep me around. There is obviously a turn over issue, because people are paid peanuts, given very few hours, and stressed to make ridiculous quotas constantly. High stress, very low payment. Terrible work environment. Pay your employees living wages, and give them benefits, and you’ll keep people around.

6. "Seasonal Line Worker at Target"

Current Employee - Seasonal Flow Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Flow Team Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work to do so there are many hours available and overtime is common. Unloading the truck and working on the line can be a good workout as they require a lot of movement and frequent heavy lifting. Management makes sure to give breaks when appropriate and I have never felt that I had been working too long without a break. Additionally, team leaders recognize hard work during the busiest times and give occasional rewards such as free breakfast. Having a good work ethic is also a very simple way of being kept on as a permanent team member after the seasonal period is over. The job is simple but consistent and the trainers I met were always patient and made sure I understood procedures completely.

Cons

During the busiest times, the shifts start as early as 2 AM and can last 10 hours, which can be draining when most of it is spent unloading the trucks. Management keeps track of attendance and seasonal employees are at a greater risk of being let go due to poor attendance and hours can be a bit inflexible, although this is to be expected.

"Sales Floor Team Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean store, better than Walmart

Cons

Pay, work, team members. I was a Team Member for a year and a half before being promoted. Then they fired half the store and expected team leaders to pick up the slack. They raised minimum wage to $12 but cut team members hours or removed positions. Beware retail.

Advice to Management

Raise pay, hire better team members, don't use Team Leaders as 3 or 4 extra team members.

"It's about what you can expect from a retail job."

Former Employee - Soft Lines Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Soft Lines Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was usually pretty easy to pick up extra shifts if you want it except during the really slow months, so I typically would work at least 30 hours/wk even if I was only scheduled for 20.
    It seems relatively easy to get promoted to a specific section or to team-leader position if you work for it and let them know that you're interested, which would give you full time position (and I would assume benefits too). But I never tried as I wasn't willing to work regular 8-5 hours because I had another job that I worked during those hours. And the pay raise is a joke even if you do get promoted (about $.25 I was told by a coworker).
    They'll sometimes have free snacks in the break room.
    At my yearly review, I got a whole $.20 raise. Gee, thanks.
    They offer a 401k (match up to 5%) after 6 months working there (I think that's how long it was).
    If you just need a job, it's pretty easy to get hired during the busy season (late summer for back to school and October-December for the holiday season) and I'm sure it's better than food service.

Cons

We were always understaffed, yet they still expected 2 people to do the job of 4 every night.
    The HR people are morons and will consistently schedule you during your unavailable hours no matter how many times you tell them that you still CANNOT work during those hours. Then it's your job to get it fixed even though they're the ones that screwed up.
    The people who consistently no call/no show, who haven't even been working there as long as you, who don't even want to work that many hours, will still be scheduled to work more hours than you, and then the managers will call you on your scheduled day off to come in to work because somebody didn't show up (again). It makes me wonder if they reason they scheduled me for less hours is because they knew they could rely on me to fill in whenever someone didn't show.
    You have to deal with coworkers that don't want to do their job and you're expected to pick up the slack.
    Coworkers will consistently no call/no show, and you're expected to pick up the slack.
    No matter how nice you make an area look, customers will come right behind you and mess it up and you get to clean it up all over again.
    From what I was told, you need a college degree to ever get promoted above team-leader. If you don't have a college degree and you plan on staying in retail, you'd be better off working for Wal-mart. They don't require a degree to move up there and from what I hear, they have the same $10 base pay now.

Advice to Management

Do more to reward those who work hard and actually do their job and they may bother to stick around. Don't wait until they put in their two weeks notice to let them know that they're doing a good job.

"You are managing low paid team members and there is high turnover. The pay is good, stress is high"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay
    amount of vacation/time off
    every other weekend off

Cons

work/life balance, hard to find time to use the time off
    long shifts
    professional babysitting
    high stress

10. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice first job.
    Great work environment.

Cons

Inconsistent weekly hours (ranges from 17 to 33 a week) not willing to allow overtime at all.

Advice to Management

Have one clear message and priority.

Showing 96 of 31,340 reviews