Target Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1587 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1684 reviews)

1. "Super Target"

Current Employee - Style Specialist in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Style Specialist in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All team members do a great job of helping each other out. The store manager does a wonderful job of making sure we are all doing good in our departments .

Cons

lack of timely communication in response to back up.

Advice to Management

Allow for team members from stationary departments to interact.

"It's about what you can expect from a retail job."

Former Employee - Soft Lines Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Soft Lines Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was usually pretty easy to pick up extra shifts if you want it except during the really slow months, so I typically would work at least 30 hours/wk even if I was only scheduled for 20.
    It seems relatively easy to get promoted to a specific section or to team-leader position if you work for it and let them know that you're interested, which would give you full time position (and I would assume benefits too). But I never tried as I wasn't willing to work regular 8-5 hours because I had another job that I worked during those hours. And the pay raise is a joke even if you do get promoted (about $.25 I was told by a coworker).
    They'll sometimes have free snacks in the break room.
    At my yearly review, I got a whole $.20 raise. Gee, thanks.
    They offer a 401k (match up to 5%) after 6 months working there (I think that's how long it was).
    If you just need a job, it's pretty easy to get hired during the busy season (late summer for back to school and October-December for the holiday season) and I'm sure it's better than food service.

Cons

We were always understaffed, yet they still expected 2 people to do the job of 4 every night.
    The HR people are morons and will consistently schedule you during your unavailable hours no matter how many times you tell them that you still CANNOT work during those hours. Then it's your job to get it fixed even though they're the ones that screwed up.
    The people who consistently no call/no show, who haven't even been working there as long as you, who don't even want to work that many hours, will still be scheduled to work more hours than you, and then the managers will call you on your scheduled day off to come in to work because somebody didn't show up (again). It makes me wonder if they reason they scheduled me for less hours is because they knew they could rely on me to fill in whenever someone didn't show.
    You have to deal with coworkers that don't want to do their job and you're expected to pick up the slack.
    Coworkers will consistently no call/no show, and you're expected to pick up the slack.
    No matter how nice you make an area look, customers will come right behind you and mess it up and you get to clean it up all over again.
    From what I was told, you need a college degree to ever get promoted above team-leader. If you don't have a college degree and you plan on staying in retail, you'd be better off working for Wal-mart. They don't require a degree to move up there and from what I hear, they have the same $10 base pay now.

Advice to Management

Do more to reward those who work hard and actually do their job and they may bother to stick around. Don't wait until they put in their two weeks notice to let them know that they're doing a good job.

3. "Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 discount, potentially a lot of hours

Cons

no tips, no coverage, no rewards, no help from management

Advice to Management

Target is an awful place to work. I have worked here for 3 years as a barista at Starbucks. Team members are supposed to all have the same job responsibilities, but a few team members get stuck doing more than others, and it’s normally work for a manager. You would think after working here for 3 years I would get paid more than new team members, but every time you get a raise they raise the minimum wage. So whatever extra money you were making gets liquidated down to the new standard. Essentially, I make the same amount of money as a brand new Starbucks employee, even though I've been here for 3 years. It’s messed up and shows that even though you put in a ton of hard work and dedication to a job, you will not be rewarded for it. It's also a dead end job. There is no chance of you moving up to a higher position, you get stuck with the same pay and responsibility for years. Managers rarely ever show their face over at Starbucks. The team members pretty much fend for themselves and run the store. It is especially difficult when a Starbucks team member needs to take a break or a lunch because no one knows how to run Starbucks so there is no coverage. The team member will then normally have to skip a break or wait till the next person comes in, which could be an hour to two hours later. Overall just don’t work here. It’s a toxic environment full of people who don’t care about you. I hope that one day the Starbucks team will be appreciated, be able to get coverage when needed, and be supported because if not, it’s going to fall apart.

"You are managing low paid team members and there is high turnover. The pay is good, stress is high"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay
    amount of vacation/time off
    every other weekend off

Cons

work/life balance, hard to find time to use the time off
    long shifts
    professional babysitting
    high stress

5. "How does this company stay afloat?"

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Pflugerville, TX
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Pflugerville, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some kind co-workers and in store managers. Has a lot of potential

Cons

- no training. They expect you to do your job but never teach you how to do it or the person teaching you doesn't know either because they was never trained

- Always understaffed. They expect the store to be spotless but they do not want to schedule people to work the shift.

- non-competitive wages. They are 50¢ to 1$ per hour below other local companies

- no experience pay. The new fresh out of high school employee gets paid the same as the guy with 15 years of experience and manager experience

- high turn around rate

- do not try to keep the good employees

- management gossips about employees

- no recognition for doing hard work, you actually get made fun of for going above and beyond

6. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice first job.
    Great work environment.

Cons

Inconsistent weekly hours (ranges from 17 to 33 a week) not willing to allow overtime at all.

Advice to Management

Have one clear message and priority.

7. "Meh"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the money was okay but living in a big city it barely helped with gas.

Cons

SO MANY.
    A certain store influence's others to date their managers.
    Plays favorites and does not care AT ALL about home life.

Advice to Management

Learn to COMMUNICATE.
    If someone request days off listen to them.

8. "Sales Floor/Backroom Team Member"

Current Employee - Target Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Target Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive leaders. Benefits after a year are decent. Matching 401k up to 5%.

Cons

Too little pay for too much work. Co-workers can be idiots.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great workout, fast paced, able to stay longer than scheduled

Cons

Night shift but you get paid extra soo

10. "Management could be a little better"

Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Austin, TX

Pros

Good place to work. You meet new people

Cons

Management needs improvement in adding hours and recognition

Advice to Management

More recognition and more hours

Showing 134 of 29,618 reviews