Target Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

Baltimore, MD

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1582 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1685 reviews)

1. "Target"

Current Employee - Target GSA in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Target GSA in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the company culture! Upper management really tries their best to make Target a safe, fun, and exciting work environment. Target has excellent benefits for full time employees and is flexible with scheduling.

Cons

There are discrepancies between Target online and Target in store. It can be difficult to fix conflicts when they arise due to technical reasons.

2. "Never given enough time..."

Former Employee - Presentation Team Member in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Presentation Team Member in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My first TL and quite a few of my former coworkers were decent, hardworking people. The store was flexible with my college schedule, permitted all the time I requested off (not so consistent with paid leave but that's not so big a problem...), and even was flex with my grandmother's funeral when I had to make last minute plans and took leave. The old ETL was a nice guy - to me anyway, he seemed to have a lot of haters though. And I would conclude that I learned some decent people/customer/guest skills while working there. It was decent resume fodder as well because I worked there for nearly 4 years and employers like how that looks on a resume.

Cons

For me the cons start after my graduation - it's great to have fewer hours when you have other priorities. And right before graduating, I notified all higher ups of my availability change to full time. During the earlier part of my hire, it was shaky convincing particular team leads that I wasn't down for FT, but it was AFTER College that they didn't harass me about it, moreover they didn't give it.

And my hours only seemed to diminish this last year working there. It got so bad that I was averaging 10 hours a week. My hourly rate was 12$ at that time, but what does it matter if I get less than typical part time hours?

The other issue was that I spent 3 years on 4 am shift. Something about getting up at 2:30 AM (or occasionally having overnight shifts) regularly Sun-Thurs for 3 years, that wears you out. It was so bad I started having anxiety, nausea, fainting spells... I had to request the 6AM shift to get a decent night's sleep. They permitted it - at least the oafish new TL I had did - but that's when my time got slashed to the bare bones.

We took on a lot of people from a recently closed location and HR told me that wouldn't affect my hours, so I figured it's because I had the gall to ask for a time change.

Not only all that, but for some reason with less hours, the ETL's/STL's started expecting more work in fewer hours. We had a change in ETL and STL's - the less decent ones - were the only one's kept around. Most of the STL's I liked moved through like indigestion. They were nice and were always available if you needed a helping hand. And no doubt, by the way, that one or two still working there are nice enough, but even they'd agree, a lot of the good STL's get filtered out and the meaner ones last longer.

They mostly just walk around, crack the whip at TM's and congratulate themselves for doing so. The meetings are more exclusive now than ever. Only TL's and up ever go anymore, and they just stand around clapping for themselves for underlings' hard work.

This place started out a pretty decent work environment, but with change of leadership, change of everything else - by the way, the changes weren't as good as anticipated, Corporate visited us almost every week this last year, wonder what that was all about?

I offered myself as a potential TL when the Oaf skipped out on us one too many times and left us high and dry, was given corporate political rigamarole, and hours cut back even more... So I left to get a new job and am considerably better off.

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work if you need minimal hours and a sort of a paycheck once in a blue moon. You all should value your subordinates better - invite them to meetings - don't just huddle in Starbucks and pat yourselves on the back all the time. We all heard your clapping and self-gratulating. You fool no one. And furthermore, your TM's are people too. They aren't just robots. You can't expect one person to break down 6 pallets of patio furniture alone in a 6 hour workday. If it has to be done, well do the decent thing: get off your lazy strut and help out. TL's are more reliable to actually work than you STL's are. HR needs to actually do something about this petty stuff - don't just smile and nod and let people vent. DO SOMETHING USEFUL!

3. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment. Good Pay

Cons

Too many hours worked in holiday

4. "Exec Team Leader Human Resources"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair salary, decent benefits, good opportunity for development, feedback driven company. Can be a great environment to work in, if you are in a store with good leadership.

Cons

Opportunity to advance is often dependent on whether you are “liked” by the district team. Micro manage stores to an extreme degree. Say “do what’s right for your building” but don’t support that motto.

Advice to Management

Trust your store leadership to run the business & if they aren’t the right leaders, then manage them. The current direction feels like all stores are being punished for the mistakes of others.

"Store Leadership"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader Sales Floor/Guest Experience in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great work environment, fun culture, team focused.
    -Dependant upon your STL, you have a lot of freedom to be your own business owner. As an ETL you're in charge and run a group of team leaders and their team members. It's your responsibility to make decisions and take complete ownership.
    - What drives me to come to work everyday is my team. Once you develop and establish your team there is a sense of family.
    -I personally love to develop, train, and coach my team. As their ETL, I am responsible for their growth and guidance.
    - The pay is fantastic. I was hired directly out of college as a Sr. Team Leader making $18/hr and within 5 years increased $50k as an ETL, essentially $10k/year increase. If you perform you'll be compensated well.
    -Not only does Target pay well, their overall compensation package is great! Benefits, discounts, incentives, etc!
    -Target's leadership training is phenomenal. As an ETL you'll go through "business college" for 6 weeks, then in role will go through various training seminars, and leadership classes. Target is very passionate about their leaders and their development.

Cons

-Specifically as a Sales Floor/Guest Experience ETL you are responsible for essentially every department in the store apart from Logistics (Front end, Food Ave, Starbucks, Hardlines, Softlines, Consumables, Visual Merchandising, Electronics, Seasonal). It will be extremely overwhelming and tough to manage and have successful "Green" running workcenters if you don't have solid Team Leaders in those specific workcenters. The company, over the past few years, has consolidated store leadership positions (Team leader and ETL). A store's leadership organizational chart is based on volume. The store would run a lot smoother and it would be a lot less stressful if they were additional ETL's or TL's above high capacity workcenters.
    -You'll work long hours, especially during the holidays and if you're store/workcenter are broken. The long hours will get to you and could break you if you don't see results overtime. You will get burnt out. The key, as an ETL, is to manage your TL's well, not to take on everything yourself. You'll fail.
    -Not only are they eliminating leadership positions in stores, they are also condensing district and group level positions. Because of this there are less opportunities for leaders in stores to move into a district/group role. There isn't as much advancement upwards once you're in stores. Groups made up of 7 districts are now condensed to 4 districts, eliminating BP (Business Partner) roles and DTL roles. This is obviously a great way to cut major costs, but as a leader in the store looking to advanced out you'll have to be patient and potentially be willing to relocate.
    -Like most companies, in my experience, Target plays favoritism and politics to an extent.
    - Due to difficulties making financial goals as a company Target has been cutting back on spending budgets in stores, one specifically being Team Builds! Team builds were a time for ETL's and STL's to go out together outside of work and socialize. It was a great team building opportunity, but now those are eliminated :(
    - District level expectations at times can be unrealistic. It seems District and Group leaders who have been out of store for years forget the struggles and obstacles stores face.

Advice to Management

- District and Group leaders- don't be so quick to conclusions dealing with anything. Problem solve and investigate more to see what are the root causes of issues as opposed to jumping to conclusions and making a decision.
    - With that being said ^^^ If a TL or ETL is underperforming do your due deligence and work with the STL to find out why. Don't assume and make up your mind that the particular leader needs to be coached out and that they'll never improve. Target senior leadership has a tendency to identify low problem performing leaders and be deligent on terminating them through performance management, no questions asked, even if there is some improvement. It's almost as if they identify you as a low performing leader, that is the end for you, no salvation. They have made up their mind.
    - Do not put newly hired recent college grads into complex ETL roles such as Logistics or Sales Floor/GE. You'll burn those kiddies out! Not to mention store processes are in the hands of some 22 year old whose priorities a few months ago were going to bars and doing keg stands. Invest and pay a little more for experienced ETL's for these roles. Turnover won't be so high.
    - Keep it "100"

6. "Store team leader"

Former Employee - Business Owner in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Owner in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and bonus. Teamwork and tons of perks.

Cons

You have to make your numbers. It is political but at the end of the day it is your scorecard that counts.

Advice to Management

Keep training at all levels. It makes s difference.

"Stores Executive Internship"

Former Intern - Stores Executive Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Stores Executive Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Great work culture
    Given a lot of authority and responsibility

Cons

The position is oversold. At the end of the day, its a retail management position. Working as a Stores Executive Internship feels like being a retail worker.

8. "Alright"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Benefits. Ease of entry. Promotion potential.

Cons

Metrics. Upper management mostly just jockeying for promotions. 99% of the job is if you have a good store manager.

Advice to Management

Rewarding people who excel with more workload isnt going to encourage people to do a good job.

9. "Target"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Holiday hours come in handy
    Ability to pick up overnight hours

Cons

Caddy management
    No flexibility
    Favoritism
    Unorganized

Advice to Management

Get new team the job currently and will forever suck

10. "I would work there again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company, clean environment, great team members, great salaries but not so much for hourly team members

Cons

Disappointed that work history did not prompt the leadership to utilize skill set for a more appropriate position and pay

Advice to Management

Don't fill a position because it fits you. instead, find the best fitting position for the person applying. You definitely lose great talent by not investing in your team and learning more about their history.

Showing 53 of 29,410 reviews