Target Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

3.2
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1608 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1704 reviews)

1. "nice"

Current Intern - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Intern - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Target as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

nice, everything is nice. nice

Cons

nothing that is really bad

Advice to Management

good job

"Very slow paced job, extremely frustrating for perfectionists"

Former Employee - Consumables Department Manager in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Consumables Department Manager in Bel Air, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Great Human Resources
    -Interesting place to work

Cons

-Stores are poorly managed
    -Suffocated of payroll
    -Stressful job because of unrealistic expectations
    -Often boring and not engaging

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage a team. Learn how to do the job of the employees you’re leading.

3. "Stocker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on multiple products

Cons

No benefits; Management unreasonable with hours

4. "Excellent corporation with respect to flexible schedules."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Columbia, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility
    Pay rate
    Collegiality
    Environment
    Company stability

Cons

Long-term Career advancement opportunities lacking

Advice to Management

Focus on training associates

"Never given enough time..."

Former Employee - Presentation Team Member in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Presentation Team Member in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My first TL and quite a few of my former coworkers were decent, hardworking people. The store was flexible with my college schedule, permitted all the time I requested off (not so consistent with paid leave but that's not so big a problem...), and even was flex with my grandmother's funeral when I had to make last minute plans and took leave. The old ETL was a nice guy - to me anyway, he seemed to have a lot of haters though. And I would conclude that I learned some decent people/customer/guest skills while working there. It was decent resume fodder as well because I worked there for nearly 4 years and employers like how that looks on a resume.

Cons

For me the cons start after my graduation - it's great to have fewer hours when you have other priorities. And right before graduating, I notified all higher ups of my availability change to full time. During the earlier part of my hire, it was shaky convincing particular team leads that I wasn't down for FT, but it was AFTER College that they didn't harass me about it, moreover they didn't give it.

And my hours only seemed to diminish this last year working there. It got so bad that I was averaging 10 hours a week. My hourly rate was 12$ at that time, but what does it matter if I get less than typical part time hours?

The other issue was that I spent 3 years on 4 am shift. Something about getting up at 2:30 AM (or occasionally having overnight shifts) regularly Sun-Thurs for 3 years, that wears you out. It was so bad I started having anxiety, nausea, fainting spells... I had to request the 6AM shift to get a decent night's sleep. They permitted it - at least the oafish new TL I had did - but that's when my time got slashed to the bare bones.

We took on a lot of people from a recently closed location and HR told me that wouldn't affect my hours, so I figured it's because I had the gall to ask for a time change.

Not only all that, but for some reason with less hours, the ETL's/STL's started expecting more work in fewer hours. We had a change in ETL and STL's - the less decent ones - were the only one's kept around. Most of the STL's I liked moved through like indigestion. They were nice and were always available if you needed a helping hand. And no doubt, by the way, that one or two still working there are nice enough, but even they'd agree, a lot of the good STL's get filtered out and the meaner ones last longer.

They mostly just walk around, crack the whip at TM's and congratulate themselves for doing so. The meetings are more exclusive now than ever. Only TL's and up ever go anymore, and they just stand around clapping for themselves for underlings' hard work.

This place started out a pretty decent work environment, but with change of leadership, change of everything else - by the way, the changes weren't as good as anticipated, Corporate visited us almost every week this last year, wonder what that was all about?

I offered myself as a potential TL when the Oaf skipped out on us one too many times and left us high and dry, was given corporate political rigamarole, and hours cut back even more... So I left to get a new job and am considerably better off.

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work if you need minimal hours and a sort of a paycheck once in a blue moon. You all should value your subordinates better - invite them to meetings - don't just huddle in Starbucks and pat yourselves on the back all the time. We all heard your clapping and self-gratulating. You fool no one. And furthermore, your TM's are people too. They aren't just robots. You can't expect one person to break down 6 pallets of patio furniture alone in a 6 hour workday. If it has to be done, well do the decent thing: get off your lazy strut and help out. TL's are more reliable to actually work than you STL's are. HR needs to actually do something about this petty stuff - don't just smile and nod and let people vent. DO SOMETHING USEFUL!

6. "Great First Job!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, polite coworkers and customers, and great healthcare benefits.

Cons

Not enough communication and scheduling problems/mixups.

7. "Target"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Decent benefits
    Fun at work events

Cons

Hours
    Managment
    Occasionally disorganized
    Expect too may jobs from one person

8. "Less than the year before"

Former Freelancer - Team Member in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Freelancer - Team Member in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

I discovered the injustice of discrimination. Being a 50+ white female, I became familiar with racism and ageism. This makes me a better person to see the early signs and report employers like you to the state's Department of Labor

Cons

I wias I had done this sooner as I had suffered this abuse for nearly 4 years.

Advice to Management

Sell the company because you have it all wrong. Any no-brains at the top will ruin it for those down below.

9. "Sales Associate-Softlines"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Gambrills, MD
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Gambrills, MD

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Target is a great first job where you can make decent money while working in a team.
    -everyone is friendly and willing to help out
    -group huddles to talk about achievements and new sales.
    -great pay
    -lenient late policy
    -if you work till close, you will feel safe because everyone leaves at once.

Cons

-Have to be constantly on your feet
    - good summer job, but no room for advancement
    -if you shift ends at closing time, you will be there another hour to clean up your zone.

Advice to Management

-be upfront about closing shifts and try not to schedule an opening shift the very next day.

10. "APS (Assets Protection Specialist)"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Towson, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with, Holiday pay, Personal/Holiday time off

Cons

The Guests (specially the ones you catch shoplifting), The travel (setting in traffic at times going and coming from work).

Advice to Management

A lot of patience is needed.

Showing 180 of 30,196 reviews