Target Reviews in Bellevue, WA | Glassdoor

4.2
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult (in 1537 reviews)

• Hours were inconsistent for most team members (in 1644 reviews)

"Good Vibes"

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, friendly co-workers, great breakroom food, team leads care about their staff.
    They are really flexible with my schedule as I go on LOA twice a year for a long period of time. They treat each other like family.

Cons

I don't know if this is still the case but selling Red Cards was highly encouraged which personally I didn't really like.

"HR Team Member"

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, able to work independently, ability to work with and meet all of the team members, work closely with management which allows you to learn a lot. Target is a great company to work for whether you are trying to build your career or have a flexible work schedule if you are in school.

Cons

All hands on deck during the holiday season doesn't allow for a lot of time off with your family.

"Full time/part time"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay more than minimum wage
    Opportunity to learn more departments so when hours drop you can pick up shifts.
    You can request time off
    They offer paid time off

Cons

Management is lazy
    No guaranteed hours
    Can have hours cut from full time to less than part time
    They rarely promote from within
    Managers hide in their offices frequently
    They often get upset or forget when you request time off and just don't mark you down for it
    When there is a scheduling error on their part they make you feel bad for having certain times of availability

Advice to Management

Promote more within so people actually aleady care about the company. This will prevent hiring managers who just hide in offices and use company credit cards to buy lots of food to eat in said offices

"Lazy management that never think of how to make the store better."

Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working there as a high school student and partially into college the hours were very flexible. Also, the other younger workers there were awesome, I loved the people I worked with (except management).

Cons

I worked at target for 4 years as a cart attendant. I was in school for engineering and only worked weekends for the last year and a half. Maybe it was just the store I was working at but the management there seriously had no clue what they were doing. Any little problem they would have they would just put in a maintenance request and wait for someone else to fix the problem. I think the worst part was that none of the management team had ever actually been a regular team member. They had no idea of how much time or work any particular tasks take. I also felt like they did not value their "outstanding" team members. Many front end (cashiers, cart attendants, guest service, and food ave) team members are cross trained in multiple areas (I'm sure its the same for hard lines and soft lines but I have no experience there). Management would never take the time to figure out which area you really wanted to work in and give you more shifts in that area. Finally, the pay raise system is a joke. Annual raises only? really? And when you work your ass off for a full year and they come back and say "Great job! here is a $0.05 raise!" It really makes me wonder how people can stand working at target for more then 4-5 years. Any way that'y my rant, take it with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Unless you start hiring ETL's (Executive Team Leads) from within the pool of team members, leave the floor management to the Team Leaders. A re-occurring theme was that the Team Leaders hated the ETL's. This was because the ETL's don't work with the same team day in and day out so they have no idea of their individual capabilities. Have ETL's stay in their offices and come down to throw the rule book at a guest only in necessary situations.

"A fun place to work, but no opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bellevue, WA

Pros

It is a fast-paced, exciting environment, where you get to work with a lot of great people. You will definitely gain valuable experience that will help you in your next job.

Cons

Individual development is not a priority within Target. Senior leaders are more interested in micro-managing than developing their teams. Work-life balance is another problem at Target. They start by telling you to work a minimum of fifty hours a week, but the expectations are that you stay until everything is done. Since it is impossible to get everything done, you end up working long hours, without any additional compensation.

Advice to Management

It's all about the people. Focus more on team development.

"Not on Target anymore"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The company is well known and has a good retirement package.

Cons

Lack of work life balance you are scheduled 50+ hours a week with rotating weekends off. This means that every other week you work 6 days in a row.
    No diversity from the Executive team leader and above, there are lots of people of color as hourly team members, but not in the management levels. You don't have a divers peer group to relate to.
    Incompetent store team leaders, it takes forever to move out a bottom performing store team leader. Mine has been at the store for 3 years and has had almost 300% turnover amongst his ETLs the managers that report directly to him. The majority of those have left due to his lack of leadership, respect and abiltity to get them developed and promoted.
    Pay is all over the board, people of color and woman are compensated much less than their white male peers. I have a peer that has been with the company just as long who makes $12K more than me and is running a red workcenter, my perception is that he is white.

Advice to Management

Move out bottom performing store team leaders and focus on ETL retention and development

"Long hours, fairly low pay and one incompetent store team lead"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Ok pay for executives, even though at our store we were far more underpayed than at others in the area. They gave us a lot of freedom when it came to recognizing our team members.

Cons

LONG hours. Once you get something done right, there will be new expectations. If an endcap needs to be set and you've already been there for 12 hours, the store manager will make you set it before going home. And don't count on help from your team members since there are not enough to get the job done.
    Best part was that from a number of execs the yearly bonus was taken away by reducing our review score far below what we should have gotten based on our financial results.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing the number of Team Leads and Executives in each building while talking about work/life balance for management.

8. "Nice part time job through high school."

Former Employee - Sales Floor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor in Bellevue, WA

Pros

They were very flexible in my requests to take time off and work around my sports and school schedule. They offer competitive salaries for part time workers. They crossed train employees to help avoid long lines at the registers and also provide more variety to the day. Pleasing a customer by finding an item in the backroom always makes them feel good and gives you a feeling of satisfaction.

Cons

Sometimes you have to put up with mean or upset customers. Cleaning up the toy aisle everyday just to have more kids come and make a mess the next day can get a little old.

Advice to Management

I thought they were doing a good job at keeping employee morale high and communicating through newsletters in the break room.

Showing 8 of 27,878 reviews