Target Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

2.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1598 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1691 reviews)

"There could not be a more timely organization right now to work for!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Under the new leadership of Roger Brooks, this organization has been transforming itself to have a greater impact and to build a model workplace. A new ethos based on quality, accountability, civility and mutual respect has taken root. A diversity & inclusion initiative is underway and showing real results. Some of the best people around work here and if you can land a job, you will be very satisfied with the quality of the work, the mission, and kindness of the people.

Cons

Some practices from the past made meetings long, decisions hard to get, and left some people in management who were not effective and in some cases not pleasant to work with. Fortunately, the new leadership has strongly addressed each of these issues over the past 2 years and made some of the hard decisions that needed to be made. An all-staff survey was listened to and things are on the right path.

Advice to Management

Thank you for investing in "Growth Mindset" training for managers so that everyone in the organization feels supported and tapped for their skills and abilities.

2. "Team Member"

Former Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Friendly work environment! If you like working with people you will love it!

Cons

Sometimes long nights, but ling nights=more$$$. Could be very a very ling day if it is a very slow day!

Advice to Management

Loved my South Bay Target Family!

3. "Team member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun learning the ropes in retail
    Some great people

Cons

Harrassing and inti.idating managers thinking that the store belo gs to them not target.
    Harrassing remarks from management to good employees
    Singling out great employees
    Bully managment

Advice to Management

Be careful and treat employees that work good stop pooping on them!

"Good Part Time Opportunity"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Ability to move up, Good customer base

Cons

Management not always on the same page, HR recruits are typically hit or miss with no in between, Low work morale

Advice to Management

Focus on improving employee morale rather than just customer morale, often found other employees to be rude and unbearable. This attitude quickly spreads to newer hires and leads to poor work ethic and customer dissatisfaction.

5. "terrible"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Boston, MA

I worked at Target (More than 10 years)

Pros

nothing at all good here

Cons

sucks your soul out and kills you

6. "Nice Benefits, but Too Many Hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

They give you reasonable hours and pay fairly. They have a good amount of benefits and paid time and a half every Sunday.

Cons

They did not always follow your schedule and you would have to talk to management multiple times to fix it. I was hired as a part-time employee, but they always scheduled me for 40 hours every week, so I would have to get this fixed weekly. They also had a hard time scheduling me around my class schedule and when I would have to go home for breaks.

"It's work and it started out well but as time went by my experience was less pleasant"

Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know what I need to do everyday and my work is largely independent. I don't need to deal with aggravating customers

Cons

There are too many managers and leaders who all prioritize different things but they do not communicate with each other which is extremely frustrating when everyone calls for backroom for the same thing over and over or someone tries to interrupt my own work for a less important task

Advice to Management

Only let those leaders who understand the backroom call the backroom for any tasks

"Executive Team Leader- Hardlines"

Former Employee - ETL - Hardlines in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - ETL - Hardlines in Boston, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

worked for two years, a lot has to do with the store your in. i was in 3 different stores. great culture for the most part, and great people to work with. if you can put in the hours and do everything that is asked of you then you can easily make close to 6 figures with this company.

Cons

the workload, expectations, anywhere from 10-14 hour days, and if they know you want me move up they will work you like a dog and say "its for your development." working every other weekend, holidays, you have thanksgiving off, but then have to be in at 12am for black friday... company keeps cutting payroll which at the end makes even more work for the people on salary. morning shift for my store was 6am-4pm/closing was 3pm-12am.

Advice to Management

do more to let the ETLs and STLs have work/life balance. working 55+ hours is kinda absurd.

9. "Decent wage, horrible hours"

Former Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

An alright wage for retail. Keeps employees informed. Flexible hours.

Cons

Was hired on under the pretense of working near-to-full time. Ended up with anywhere from 10-20 hours a week, despite an abundance of hours available and repeated talks with HR rep.
    Also hired under the pretense of working in Market. Ended up working in clothing/softlines despite, again, repeated talks.
    Despite its outwardly LGBT friendly brand, quite a homophobic workplace.
    No respect for TMs who have been on the team for months. No chance for a raise. No loyalty.
    No benefits outside the employee discount to suck back your wages.
    No unionization allowed.
    Impossible daily sales goals.

10. "Store Team Leader"

Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Boston, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Team Environment, goal oriented, fashion forward, community involvement, pay was pretty good

Cons

definitely preferred younger leaders who were more willing to work crazy hours and do whatever was asked of them regardless of impact on personal lives.
    Retail hours.
    Lots of really young store and multi-unit leaders who seemed a little over their heads trying to give direction that they didn't really always understand
    VERY metric focused and sometimes the metrics were kind of contrived or made up vs meaningful.
    Some times seemed to engage in change simply for the sake of change

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line leaders
    Be more thoughtful about the candidates that are promoted so that those getting more responsible positions are ready for them and respected by those who they will lead. There are too many group directors, district & store team leaders who are in experienced and just not ready for the task before them (leading big teams) and are very focused on their next assignment instead of being successful in this one.
    Leave leaders in position long enough that they have to live with their decisions. Currently some leaders move around so quickly that they really don't live with thier people decisions (promotions, etc.)

Showing 62 of 29,963 reviews