Target Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Nice Benefits, but Too Many Hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

They give you reasonable hours and pay fairly. They have a good amount of benefits and paid time and a half every Sunday.

Cons

They did not always follow your schedule and you would have to talk to management multiple times to fix it. I was hired as a part-time employee, but they always scheduled me for 40 hours every week, so I would have to get this fixed weekly. They also had a hard time scheduling me around my class schedule and when I would have to go home for breaks.

"It's work and it started out well but as time went by my experience was less pleasant"

Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know what I need to do everyday and my work is largely independent. I don't need to deal with aggravating customers

Cons

There are too many managers and leaders who all prioritize different things but they do not communicate with each other which is extremely frustrating when everyone calls for backroom for the same thing over and over or someone tries to interrupt my own work for a less important task

Advice to Management

Only let those leaders who understand the backroom call the backroom for any tasks

"Executive Team Leader- Hardlines"

Former Employee - ETL - Hardlines in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - ETL - Hardlines in Boston, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

worked for two years, a lot has to do with the store your in. i was in 3 different stores. great culture for the most part, and great people to work with. if you can put in the hours and do everything that is asked of you then you can easily make close to 6 figures with this company.

Cons

the workload, expectations, anywhere from 10-14 hour days, and if they know you want me move up they will work you like a dog and say "its for your development." working every other weekend, holidays, you have thanksgiving off, but then have to be in at 12am for black friday... company keeps cutting payroll which at the end makes even more work for the people on salary. morning shift for my store was 6am-4pm/closing was 3pm-12am.

Advice to Management

do more to let the ETLs and STLs have work/life balance. working 55+ hours is kinda absurd.

"There could not be a more timely organization right now to work for!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Under the new leadership of Roger Brooks, this organization has been transforming itself to have a greater impact and to build a model workplace. A new ethos based on quality, accountability, civility and mutual respect has taken root. A diversity & inclusion initiative is underway and showing real results. Some of the best people around work here and if you can land a job, you will be very satisfied with the quality of the work, the mission, and kindness of the people.

Cons

Some practices from the past made meetings long, decisions hard to get, and left some people in management who were not effective and in some cases not pleasant to work with. Fortunately, the new leadership has strongly addressed each of these issues over the past 2 years and made some of the hard decisions that needed to be made. An all-staff survey was listened to and things are on the right path.

Advice to Management

Thank you for investing in "Growth Mindset" training for managers so that everyone in the organization feels supported and tapped for their skills and abilities.

5. "Decent wage, horrible hours"

Former Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

An alright wage for retail. Keeps employees informed. Flexible hours.

Cons

Was hired on under the pretense of working near-to-full time. Ended up with anywhere from 10-20 hours a week, despite an abundance of hours available and repeated talks with HR rep.
    Also hired under the pretense of working in Market. Ended up working in clothing/softlines despite, again, repeated talks.
    Despite its outwardly LGBT friendly brand, quite a homophobic workplace.
    No respect for TMs who have been on the team for months. No chance for a raise. No loyalty.
    No benefits outside the employee discount to suck back your wages.
    No unionization allowed.
    Impossible daily sales goals.

6. "Store Team Leader"

Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Boston, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Team Environment, goal oriented, fashion forward, community involvement, pay was pretty good

Cons

definitely preferred younger leaders who were more willing to work crazy hours and do whatever was asked of them regardless of impact on personal lives.
    Retail hours.
    Lots of really young store and multi-unit leaders who seemed a little over their heads trying to give direction that they didn't really always understand
    VERY metric focused and sometimes the metrics were kind of contrived or made up vs meaningful.
    Some times seemed to engage in change simply for the sake of change

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line leaders
    Be more thoughtful about the candidates that are promoted so that those getting more responsible positions are ready for them and respected by those who they will lead. There are too many group directors, district & store team leaders who are in experienced and just not ready for the task before them (leading big teams) and are very focused on their next assignment instead of being successful in this one.
    Leave leaders in position long enough that they have to live with their decisions. Currently some leaders move around so quickly that they really don't live with thier people decisions (promotions, etc.)

7. "Asset Protection Spec."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Plain clothes, Flexible hours, Very Fun Family Environment.

Cons

Dangerous, Stopping unknown Potential customers no weapons no defense tactics.

Advice to Management

Communication is Key.

8. "Perfect for part time work"

Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules: I could schedule when I worked based on my class schedule and take off time to study for exams if needed.

Time off: I am going to miss be able to take 3 weeks off to travel. It's unpaid buthe great if you want to travel multiple times a year.

Easy: the work is simple, mindless, and easy

Environment: friendly and positive atmosphere

Cons

Boring: the work is simple, mindless, and easy

Night shift: the target I worked at closed at midnight, this is the shift most people would work.

High turnover: many employees come and go, most had bad attitudes and thought the work was too much for them.

9. "Team trainer"

Current Employee - Team Trainer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Team Trainer in Boston, MA

Pros

Amazing coworkers, you never get bored with such good team members.

Cons

Not enough hours, the pressure they make to offer the RedCard.

Advice to Management

they should think more about their employees, 15 hours a week is not enough to survive.

10. "Senior team leader"

Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Boston, MA

Pros

Good discount and great people to work with. Always made event fun with catered food.

Cons

Horrible customers and not a lot of support for development

Advice to Management

Better pay and help is not a weakness

Showing 58 of 25,753 reviews