Target Reviews in Bowie, MD | Glassdoor

2.7
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1582 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1685 reviews)

1. "Target "executive" intern"

Former Intern - Executive Intern in Bowie, MD
    Former Intern - Executive Intern in Bowie, MD

I worked at Target as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was very competitive, opportunity for a full time job

Cons

Very basic work for a manager i.e. Folding cloths cashiering. They talk about work life balance but you are a full time intern and they don't give you any days off.

Advice to Management

Treat your interns like you treat you managers in training. They can not learn how to be managers folding tables.

2. "Full Time is FAKE"

Current Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

free starbucks and 10% discount

Cons

They tell you you'll be full time, but keep you at minimum hours so they don't have to pay benefits.

3. "Pays the Bills, Far From A Forever Job"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier/Starbucks in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier/Starbucks in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- reviews and raise opportunities every year
    - always an opportunity to cross train
    - management really heard concerns about my position and suggested a different one that would fit better

Cons

- it's retail, the guests aren't always that friendly
    - even when you know the rules, the managers will bend them for the guest if they yell long enough
    - there's a couple managers that try to delegate their responsibilities to us, making our jobs even harder

Advice to Management

- set clear guidelines for which teams do which jobs and stick to them so one team doesn't end up with all the unwanted tasks on top of their own

"It's Retail"

Former Employee - Pricing in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Pricing in Bowie, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work there for longer than 6 months, you can get health insurance through the company. You get an employee discount on purchases. You get certain holidays off, like Christmas Day, and time and a half for other holidays, like Labor Day. Depending on how your coworkers and managers are, work can be enjoyable and shifts can go by fast.

Cons

Target is a retail chain, so you have to deal with all the cons working in retail. You will have to work Black Friday. You probably won't be able to take a vacation around Christmas unless you plan months in advance. You will encounter difficult customers. Depending on how your coworkers and managers are, work can be miserable and shifts can drag on forever.

5. "Great Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Bowie, MD

Pros

Development, helpful co-workers, chance for advancement if willing to relocate. Good starting pay for new grads. Challenging and rewarding work if willing to work hard.

Cons

Work/life balance for store management. Retail hours. Have to work holidays. A lot of turnover at the hourly level. Company is not doing as well as in the past.

Advice to Management

Get as much as you possibly can out of the training provided. Utilize all company resources

6. "Flow Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

The position i have is early morning so i get off early

Cons

The pay isn't good. and not many hours.

7. "Good Environment. Minimal Training."

Current Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They got back to me right away about my application, and the interview/orientation process took less than a week.
    Whenever I can't work, they're very accommodating, and they also make it easy to pick up additional shifts others can't work even at the last minute. It's a good team atmosphere and management knows everyone's name.

Cons

The training process was very minimal. I applied as a cashier and to train me they gave me a booklet and a practice register to get acclimated to the buttons and how to process a transaction, watched a cashier do about 10 transactions, then I was placed on a register and opened for business. Anytime a transaction came up that wasn't textbook, (cartwheel, free gift cards, WIC checks, multiple payments, etc.), I had to pull a coworker to show and help me get through them. There have even been times that workers from other stores have come in for service and had to talk me through their own transactions. Most notably, they tell you to ask every guest to sign up for a RedCard, but never showed me how to process the application. My first guest said "well how do I do it?" And I couldn't answer the question. Not the best impression.
    I have since transferred over to the guest services desk and it's a similar learn-on-the-spot methodology.

While I happen to be a faster learner, picking things up the first or second time it's shown to me, I've seen others hired since I've been here with a slower learning curve and been pulled aside to help at times. This promotes a team atmosphere, but it can also slow guest service down considerably.

Advice to Management

Including transactions that may be more complicated in the training booklet so new hires at least know where the buttons can be found.

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Bowie, MD

Pros

-open door policy: no issue going to different levels of management with concerns
    -team culture: coworkers and management above supports in what you need
    -ownership of business: you have great control your department (for the good or the bad)

Cons

-experience differs within each different store
    -hard to get rid of poor performers, but this is also a pro because it gives the poor performers a chance to improve
    -as a rule has a good work life balance, but again this differs within different departments and stores. Smaller departments have less of a work life balance because of business needs.

9. "Team player?"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a pharmacy technician Target does pay better than most retail companies as there's no drive-thru window.

Cons

Target doesn't guarantee full time to NO employee unless they are a TL or ETL. People who are looking for a full time job with good benefits can forget it. The culture there is suppose to be based upon team work but people are quick to throw each other under the bus. It was very difficult to get time off approve especially around the holidays but after that's over hours get cut immediately.

10. "Cashier/Cart Att"

Former Employee - Cashier/Cart Attendant in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier/Cart Attendant in Bowie, MD

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co Workers
    Meeting New people
    Pay
    Flex-liable time

Cons

Time
    Co Workers
    People with alot of coupons

Showing 11 of 29,395 reviews