Target Cashier Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours can impact work life balance (in 1417 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1503 reviews)

1. "Cashier at Target"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours if you are looking for part time work, great people, great management

Cons

No full time hours if you're looking for a 9 to 5 job.

Advice to Management

Managers know their craft I have no complaints

2. "Guess Service Rep."

Former Employee - Guess Service Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Guess Service Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. The team looks out for one another. Scheduling were flexible to student workers most of the time. There are some room to increase positions based on availability and work ethic.

Cons

The assistant manager that was in charge during the time was not willing to work with my school schedule for important events. Picking up slack from other employees.

Advice to Management

Keep to the scheduled agreed between a student worker and the managers in mind before assigning shifts that will compromise the student workers school schedule and have to choose between going to school or getting written up for not showing up to work. Take into account for the sake of both the store needs and the student workers.

3. "My job at target was largely repetitive, as retail is, and very focused on corporate goals."

Former Employee - Cashier in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Manassas, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Part time work came with a lot of flexibility in hours, especially for someone in school. There was also a lot of opportunity to cross-train elsewhere in the store. I worked cashiering, guest service, and photo lab pretty frequently and enjoyed the variety.

Cons

Cashiers get a lot of pressure to "perform," meaning ridiculously quick transactions and constantly pushing the Target credit and debit cards. These are often prioritized because they're major ways that store success is measured.

Advice to Management

More focus on being a pleasant person to interact with would be nice, rather than being quick and impersonal by rushing the transactions and pushing Target cards very heavily.

4. "Hardlines"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target is more than a team its more like family u learn from each other and grow

Cons

Target dont give u enough hrs

Advice to Management

Im a team player and a fast learner u would love to have me apart of ya team

5. "Great place to build experience"

Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Services Desk in Anaheim Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Services Desk in Anaheim Hills, CA

Pros

-flexible hours
    -allow you to move around( different positions: guest service, cash office etc)

Cons

-minaml raises
    -no bonuses for moving around

6. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Good pay , friendly co workers and sheduled breaks.

Cons

Horrible scheduling of shifts , the lead at the westbury store is very rude and racist at times

Advice to Management

Please hire better managers

7. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with a school schedule.

Cons

Management doesn't communicate well with employees.

"Good place to work BUT"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad place to work... if you're either in highschool, college, stay at home mom looking for money, post-retirement, post-pregnancy etc. Your availability is usually accepted as long as you can work weekends, if you say you can't work weekends, don't even apply or expect the job lol. Pay is decent if you're looking to make a little money, but if you're looking to make money or big money, Target is not an option.

Some good benefits, lots of local discounts for working at Target as well, management is usually really great to work with, and the atmosphere is good. Not too many customers jump straight to yelling at you, everyone seems to be nice to each other. Target is a great place to work if you are a people person, it's quite expected that you attempt to greet every guest that you see. For the most part, performance expectations are made to your abilities.

My co-workers in other areas perform to expectations and do their jobs. I am a cashier, and most cashiers absolutely love to hate their jobs and make up any reason to NOT do it. But, in my experience with Cart Attending and working the floor, everyone performs and I love it.

At Target you can expect a very diverse culture amongst workers. You will find old and young, inexperienced and experienced, gay or straight, you get my drift. Target does NOT discriminate at all, if it wasn't a law to provide equal opportunity, they still would offer it. Target is a great company to work, they offer some great benefits, local discounts, and a good atmosphere to work for that might make it bearable if you're stuck there for a while.

I'm looking forward to submitting my two weeks purely because I can't make a living here and advancement in my store is not possible for me, I have no future here. Despite all the bad I say about it, it's not all that bad. If you're 16 looking for a job until your 18-19 or trying to get through college, this is the job for you. if you're looking for post-retirement money, this is for you. If you're a stay at home mom who's looking to make some more money to provide, this is for you. If you're looking to make a little money, this is for you in general.

Cons

Low pay, you probably won't see more than $12 an hour, not even the older seniorities in much more important roles. Yearly raises are minimal at best, even for performing workers. No chance for additional raises to fit your situation, you will get turned away immediately. Not even if you've been with the company for years and simply need more money but love the job too much, if you get a raise, it's very minimal. Do not take this job unless you appreciate living paycheck to paycheck.

I had no opportunities to advance at all. I did, I applied, got the new positions, worked it for a good two-three weeks and would get scheduled back in my old position. For the most part, Executive Team Leads are all freshly graduated kiddos with no experience in management at all or no history in Target, you will notice a high case of not hiring internally for management positions.

Redcards, if you are a cashier or electronics TM, will become a word you see in nightmares. Upon interview you're sure to be asked about redcards, if you're able to talk about them, and to sell them, then they double check to make sure you're SURE you can. You won't get fired if you can't sell them... right away, but if you can't you can be sure to get talked to multiple times before eventual termination.

I have absolutely zero idea on how some Target workers can afford to pay bills and a mortgage with this job, their spouses must make a majority of the household income if so, this job is not good for adult things. For two years it's helped pay off my car, insurance, and other little things, but I'm looking forward to buying a house with my girlfriend, providing for her, and making a comfortable living.

Advice to Management

My management honestly is pretty great, if I had to say anything, it's not in their control. Higher pay for higher performance/responsibility, more opportunity, skill recognition, and others would be a plus. My time spent working with my Target management has been nothing but positive.

9. "Good Minimum Wage Job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Santee, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Santee, CA

Pros

Incentives, Organization, and good hours

Cons

Didn't talk to my coworkers

10. "Great place to work, flexible scheduling, and wonderful co-workers"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling

Good management

Friendly environment

Cons

it's retail, so it can be stressful when busy