Target Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1597 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1690 reviews)

1. "Target is a great employer!"

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Food service hours + retail pay
    Great management and organization
    Plus all our team members are really nice!

Cons

The only complaint I have is our schedule can be a little stupid. Meaning sometimes on Saturday nights ( Wich get pretty busy) the computer only assigns one person to close and it slows down

Advice to Management

Scheduling is done by a computer system, Wich works great for target retail team members but Starbucks gets weird coverage even during busy hoyrs.

2. "Pros and Cons of working at Target"

Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, opportunities to cross train, opportunities to advance

Cons

limited hours, favoritism from leaders

3. "Back room logistic"

Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people there are cool, the breaks and meal time is fair.

Cons

no communication between leasers and managers, will ask you to do tasks that cant actually be done in a short amount of time, you get sick hours but they dont want you calling off, one call and if they are petty can write you up.

Advice to Management

need to change that sick hours clause because no other company ive worked with with has ever counted sick hours against you or change sick hours to cash out hours.

4. "As good as you make it"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great culture, customer focused, fair compensation, decent benefits

Cons

slow to update Best Practices

Advice to Management

actively solicit feedback on your Best Practices- those who do the job know the best way to get the job done

5. "Working the Target life is okay"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are okay to work for

Cons

The pay is not that great

6. "Typical Big Box"

Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some good people

Cons

Minimum wage pay, hours vary greatly, not nearly enough resources, management constantly changing plans

Advice to Management

Dont forget to take care of the team

7. "It is Retail, but better than it's competitors"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They recognize talent and promote from within. I went from cart pusher, to manager while working in just about every department of the store. They listen and will put you where you want to be if you are a good employee. Also, very customer service oriented.

Cons

It is retail, so nights, weekends and holidays are required.

Advice to Management

I liked all of my managers, so keep doing what you're doing.

8. "Okay"

Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

bad management from team lead to store lead

Advice to Management

increase pay

9. "Laughable"

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only appreciated my managers who worked on the 1rst floor of the downtown retail store, they clearly worked super hard to manage the cashiers, always on their feet. These individuals really motivated me every time I came into work and they always made sure to ask me how I was doing. They taught me when I made mistakes and they maintained a positive attitude and for that I am truly grateful.

Cons

Where to start: So I don't mind doing a mind-numbing position when I had job experience and I just finished school. I took this job to allow some buffering time to support me and my family (which still was not enough pay by the way). In fact, I enjoyed serving my customers and you could tell that my line was PACKED because I would get the work done efficiently in a short amount of time. Not to mention that I spoke another language which helped, the location consisted of customers who are from other countries. Why I chose this position when I could make use of my work experience and degree and why did the manager not notice this and ask to move me to a more appropriate position, your guess is as good as mine. But I took it to see what it was like to work the sales/cashier floor and I am glad I did it, now I know how horrible of a working environment Target really is.

Most of my 18-year-old co-workers were incredibly unprofessional. It doesn't matter if this position is not a "career" or "exciting". Look, its a job and you are building customer service skills but I was young once, and I am still appalled at how some of these kids acting on the working floor and even to their more experienced coworkers. One of them especially was trying which and whatever way to make me look bad. Not only that she had the attitude of a "boss" trying to micromanage me as I first started when clearly this was not her job. I could tell too that she wanted to or was instructed to watch me so that she could get me fired. She also would make me feel uncomfortable because she would complain (to me a newcomer) about how she was there for 1 year and then she deserved an upward position and that she was doing whatever she could to get it..... My training experience was horrible, they didn't really train me at all except my managers on the floor. My co-workers all had something to prove and set me up for failure at times when clearly this was just a job that required customer service from the buyers.

The manager in the HR office made me so uncomfortable as well, actually, all of them in the offices was super unfriendly minus the woman who takes care of calendars. They only cared about the employees that were in their "circle". In the end, I really didn't care about them because I understood after that training experience who were the real leaders.

There is also an issue of culture and customer service. Maybe its because most of the sales/cashier floor is 18-22 year individuals with no real customer service and exposure to professional customers who work jobs that require their products given to them at a timely manner but compared to the older group of individuals it was VERY CLEAR that they all showed a very bad attitude in the downtown Chicago location. They showed an uncomfortable amount of attitude to local international students and in the end, I always had to apologize to the customers for their behavior. Of course, international customers will not think too much about it, why would they? But I did witness a customer who clearly worked a federal job and these co-workers of mine were SUPER rude to them, not displaying any situational awareness to who their customers were...... ugh. I am glad I saved face because this customer looked PISSED.

Anyway, I am glad I left less than a year, I know they wanted to hire me full time but after all the stress of trying to save face for Target in the retail store while management didn't see this (don't blame it on management who worked the actual floor because they are great) this was surprisingly the worst and probably the most unnecessarily stressful position I had to take (literally because of how annoying and dumb my co-workers were).

P.S. their discount is laughable too.

Advice to Management

I really don't know what advice to give... Maybe stop hiring airheaded 18-22-year-olds or find competent workers and pay all of the above 15$ so maybe they will be happy and they can take care of their families? Have a similar benefit and structure like Starbucks or find a way to pay back student's tuition. Teach inexperienced workers real customer service skills.

10. "Oak Lawn Target is a JOKE"

Former Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location was decent
    Pay was good

Cons

- Took HR three weeks to set up my tax information
    - LOD told a group of new seasonal people that half of you are slow and half aren't (I'm all for constructive critisism but that is the wrong way to go about it buddy)
    - Hiring process is confusing, got an email about an orientation time and date but was stated in said email "Disregard wait for call" Having a full time job I need to know when my orientation was to make sure to plan accordingly. No one called I had to be the one to call
    - Cashier told me when I asked her about how to re-hang something that was ripped her response " Just tape it up, do it the black way" (NOT KIDDING, being a white employee hearing this come from a black girl left me feeling VERY uncomfortable.
    - TOO many to count and I was only there for less then a month

Advice to Management

If you want better "guest" hire better employee's
    Re-train your HR dept. on how to deal with new employee set up
    Re-train ALL employee's on what SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be said in a professional environment.

Showing 730 of 29,906 reviews