Target Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

3.5
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1576 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1680 reviews)

1. "I like to make sure all customers have what they need"

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Wadsworth, OH
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Wadsworth, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to help customers, to make sure everyone customer that comes in finds what they need.

Cons

I don't see any downsides

Advice to Management

idk

2. "Target was okay"

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were largely great. I met a number of nice people and most customers were nice. The money was pretty good.

Cons

The downside of working as a Target Starbucks Barista is that you make more money to basically be treated like a second-class citizen. The Starbucks department is pushed to do better constantly, but when no one in management has ever worked at a Starbucks it makes things extremely difficult. Our manager would have us do things that were part of his/her job regularly. He/she was also managing like three departments at a time, which was a problem for us. We also did not have a team leader for just our department, which would have fixed many of the issues. The other big issue was the inconsistent hours and the fact that Targets hire more part-timers than they can actually afford hours for.

Advice to Management

Please just hire a Starbucks team lead. It would pay off tenfold.

3. "I have no experience at target."

Former Employee - Target in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Target in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will fit in beautifully and be a great addition to the team. L

Cons

I can be helpful and respectful

Advice to Management

"You now must work with your staff to achieve your department and your organizational goals. Your role is to work with others, to help them be productive and effective." Stone offers these tips for first-time managers: Identify your department's goals, and determine the resources needed to achieve them.

4. "Flow Team Member 14 Years - Retired"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Willoughby, OH

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a place of employment for young people just beginning their working careers, TARGET provides those of ages 16 through 21 an excellent opportunity to hone their work ethic.

If you find yourself working at TARGET from ages 22 through 29, it'll provide a secure way to save for the future.

If you find yourself working at TARGET after the age of 61, that's good, because it'll provide you with additional income through your retirement years.

But, If you find yourself working at TARGET from ages 30 through 61, you've screwed up your life something horribly to end up there.

The young and the retired benefit from working at TARGET, anyone one else who falls into that between category, should've moved on to a much better career. TARGET is simply a stepping stone to better things.

Cons

The moment an employee has worked at TARGET more than a few years, your weekly scheduled hours get cut in half and you lose your employer paid health insurance.

TARGET does not value diligence, accuracy, or attendance. TARGET only cares about the speed of their employee, not their accuracy.

Obviously, none of TARGET's corporate leadership has any knowledge concerning the NFL's contest of 'PUNT, PASS, & KICK, ' as it's the greatest analogy for the importance of accuracy. In 'PUNT, PASS, & KICK' if you punt the football 55 yards, but it goes offline by 49 yards, you only get credit for a 6 yard punt. In other words, as in 'PUNT, PASS, & KICK, ' TARGET should weigh accuracy as equally important in their evaluation of a good employee.

Advice to Management

TARGET Corporate should worry more about accuracy than speed.

An employee's record speed, when accomplishing all his tasks within TARGET's falsely configure and unrealistically enforced push times, by ignoring the accuracy component of his job description, becomes worthless when his accuracy drops to 40%.

TARGET should value good attendance, not just focus on (and ignore) bad attendance.

5. "Fast Fun Friendly"

Current Employee - Team Member in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Medina, OH

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

learn a lot, flexible hours for student, move within, benefits

Cons

hard work, annoying guests, lack of training

6. "Target pay and experience"

Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is very good and after only a few short months, I got promoted to a new position.

Cons

My new position, although it has a lot more responsibility which I like, there is no pay increase at all.

Advice to Management

If somebody is required to do a million more tasks and take on a lot more responsibility than the other workers and is often times required to come in much earlier than the rest of the team, they should have some sort of pay increase.

7. "Flow Team Member"

Current Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Fairview Park, OH
    Current Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Fairview Park, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the other team members are friendly and good to work with.

Cons

Favoritism
    Lack of scheduled hours
    Sr. Mgmt. will not address problems.
    Corporate's decision to raise minimum wage was a slap in the face of current employees.

Advice to Management

RAISE all team members' wages by the same percentage you raised minimum wage!! After more than 4 years of service, I am working for the same rate of pay as someone that started today!

"Management needs overhaul"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Amherst, OH
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Amherst, OH

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members to work with
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Management plays favoritism
    Lgbt discrimination
    Write ups for paper trail to fire only not true to performance
    HR hotline used against you when you call to report hostile work environment
    Will not hire full time besides management
    Store team lead intimidates instead of listening and addressing issues
    Store team lead ignores HR hotline calls and never even addressed the person that created hostile environment

Advice to Management

Examine new hires, management and sales floor, more closely.

9. "It is alright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mentor, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of the employees are nice and helpful. The pay is better than most retail jobs. Discount is 10% with an additional 20% off fresh fruit/vegetables and their simply balances brand. If you pay with your red card you get 5% off as well. The job is really easy.

Cons

They constantly schedule people more hours than what they were hired for, they also schedule you on days you are not available and expect you to cover the shifts. Very little training. The rules don't apply to everyone and the management plays favorites. You are not supposed to have drinks in the store however most employees have one but only some people get a talking to about while the person next to them gets nothing said to them.

Advice to Management

Stick to employee's availability and hours requested. Give more training and the processes of the store. Treat everyone the same, your corporate policy is to treat everyone fairly but the store management does not.

10. "Meh"

Former Employee - Team Member in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Elyria, OH

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet great people. Good customer service experience. Learn to deal with not so nice people. Decent pay for someone in high school.

Cons

Target cannot decide if it wants to be a big box store or some kind of specialty boutique type shop.

Advice to Management

Mandating bachelor's degree to be ETL is ridiculous.

Showing 78 of 29,363 reviews