Target Reviews in Cypress, CA | Glassdoor

Brian Cornell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1587 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1684 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Cypress, CA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low-Stress Environment. I knew exactly what was expected of me.

Cons

Shifts aren't very flexibly. I worked 4am-12pm.

Advice to Management

Give monetary bonuses to top performers.

2. "Cool co-workers, unnecessary pressure"

Former Employee - Back Room Team Member in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Back Room Team Member in Cypress, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met a long of really good people at my time here that are still my friends to this day. Some management was really understanding and down to earth about the situations we were in, and tried their best to help.

Cons

HR sucked. They will do their best to shaft the employees on hours so that the company profits. Also seems to be very limited chance of growth.

3. "They kept rushing you to hurry up so there's no time to even take a water break let alone a bathroom break."

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. If you want to buy food for your break or lunch, you can.

Cons

Management always harping down your back telling you to hurry up and get more things done faster.
    If you have a five hour shift, you have to take a 45 min lunch.
    They kept telling me to not take my 15 min breaks. I didn't even know I got 2 breaks until my last day.

4. "Woo lad"

Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays me more than the Mexicans

Cons

Works me 12 days in a row, no overtime

Advice to Management

GIVE ME OVERTIME

5. "Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection"

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

retail management experience, ability to work with many different people and drive sales, flexible schedule and hours.

Cons

Working extra hours during holiday season, work can be very physically demanding, very aggressive goals from corporate.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the work your team puts in and recognize them when possible! Treat them well and they will treat you well in return.

6. "Expect More Pay Less"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

They do a great job at challenging you. They have really high expectations as far as your performance and it's always a challenge to meet them.

Cons

Sometimes the expectations are unrealistic. They expect more of you with out providing usable feedback, inspiration or encouragement.

"This company is a JOKE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Target (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the employees are good to work with

Cons

Upper management is comparable to Hitler. The slogan "Expect More, Pay Less" actually means they expect more and more from employees but want to pay them less and give them less hours to get the work done. If you want to know what it's like to work in a concentration camp, feel free to apply for a flow or backroom position at the Cypress store in California

Advice to Management

Show a little respect and appreciation for us pee-ons who do all of the work so you can do nothing and collect nice size pay checks and fat bonuses

8. "Bad"

Former Employee - Crew in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Crew in Cypress, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back sometimes. Fun people. Free sandwiches which is ok.

Cons

Terrible management and does not acknowledge hard work. Favoritism and filled with fresh college graduates that think target is their life.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of under the table.

"Overworked and underpaid and exploited."

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Cypress, CA

Pros

I got to meet a lot of great people who truly believe in what they were doing for the company and did their best to drive sales and deliver exceptional customer service. However, as with any other retail company, it's all about results and "brown-nosing". If you do not deliver or are not on buddy-buddy terms with senior management or district team leaders/business partners then you'll be overlooked and rarely recognized.

This is just my personal experience and I know each store/team/district is different so please do not assume this is how ALL Targets operate.

Cons

LONG hours and under-appreciation.
    I worked 50-60 hours a week, which was expected for retail. During the holidays, I worked nearly 65-70 hours a week.
    The ETL position is also a big revolving door for college graduates so Target is not being on retention for there are plenty of applicants who are looking for work if you do not do well in your position. The training I received for my position was not adequate at all for I trained in a much larger store and did not know where I was going to be placed until the last week of my "business college". A lot of the routines I learned during my training were not applicable for the store I was placed at was much smaller and placed more of an emphasis on LOD roles for my position.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees instead of sitting your office plugging away at your computer or looking through emails. Most people are willing to do put in the work and get YOU recognized as long as you recognize and reward them.

10. "Fine for a starter job."

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Cypress, CA

Pros

Really flexible hours since there are more than enough employees to cover gaps in hours. Fairly decent (but not the best) pay. Nice being able to clock in, do your job, and clock out without really having to talk to management if you don't want to. No cash handling skills necessary - drawers are not counted for, cash pulls don't exist, jumping between registers is fine.

Cons

Worked there for four years. No room for advancement within company. Management has no idea what they're doing. Most of them are people who do the intern program thing during college who have never worked a day in their life and all of the sudden are managers. Awful.

Advice to Management

Make them work all the positions on the floor first before telling other people what to do. Having a snooty boss who doesn't even know how to turn off a popcorn popper makes absolutely no sense.

Showing 10 of 29,604 reviews