Target Executive Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours can impact work life balance (in 1419 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1507 reviews)

1. "Internship Review"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture with friendly people

Cons

Early mornings and long hours

2. "Executive Team Leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays very well for a first job after college. You can rapid pay increases if you are performing.

Cons

Work life balance is really the only thing that sticks out. All the normal retail position issues for work life balance.

"ETL-HR"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Target has a really fast, fun, and friendly, culture which is mostly driven by its strong employment branding. Target also allowed for flexible scheduling and 3 weeks of vacation which was nice.

Cons

Working in a struggling market is never easy. Seemed to be a lack of clear strategic vision from the 'higher ups' and it seemed like we were always having to re-invent the wheel, instead of sticking to fundamentals.

Advice to Management

Sky high expectations from mostly low performing employees is never a recipe for success. Field Leadership often seemed very out of touch with the realities of working in and running a store. Heavy politics always at play.

"Executive Team Leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is going to be the review you'll want to read to get the real Overview of the PRO vs. CON of the ETL position.

Good salary strait out of college.

(In CA) You start at 57K. Trust me it's good compared to a lot of places. Plus they match 6% on 401K.

Resume builder

It's a nationally recognizable company. You will get experience here that can lead you to positions in management, sales, or training (HR position can lead to HR jobs) with other companies

Personal growth and development:

Target culture can lead you to develop yourself and achieve great things. You'll grow up a lot in this position and if you have the right STL/DTL you will develop as a professional.

You may get to work with great people

Depending on the store, culture, and leadership... you may get to know some amazing people! They will become drinking buddies and party with you on the weekends (#RetailTherapy)

Cons

Work life balance is hard

Especially if you don't want to work weekends, nights, and holidays (its retail regardless of how high up you are) (if you're coming strait out of college you may envy your friends in 9-5 jobs... because you are working LONG HOURS during non typical times). Also you are on salary so you're free payroll (meaning you'll work 12 hour days and not get paid a penny more... especially when it's time to cut hourly payroll.)

Lots of time doing low end work

You will spend about 50% or more in this position doing base work. Meaning folding laundry. Pushing merchandise to the floor. Cashiering. So on and so forth.

The experience isn't as good as you may think

If you decide to leave after building your resume you will generally get offers for sales positions and MAYBE some okay management position offers.

Long term employment looks grim

The modern day economy is changing and online orders are taking over (Amazon cough cough Amazon). So long term Job stability doesn't look great. Especially since Target is making changes to get rid of ETLs to save on company expenses.

5. "Great Company Not Enough Resoures"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great culture, great employee resources

Cons

Overworked management and team members. Expect too much from employees.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing roles

6. "Target Executive Store Team Leader Review"

Former Employee - Executive Store Team Leader
    Former Employee - Executive Store Team Leader

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and great co workers

Cons

The hours are very difficult, it is hard to have a life outside of this job. Extreme physical activity is also required.

Advice to Management

Try to get the hours closer to 40 hours a week.

7. "Executive Team Leader"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Columbia, SC

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Came in from undergrad after doing an internship with Target.
    Room for movement, but most of the time it is lateral.
    Senior management is great
    Target is doing great things in general and all the changes they're making to their stores/merchandise shows how much they believe in their company/people

Cons

-Great company, but unfortunately I don't think a store position is well suited for someone unless they're extremely interested in working in retail. If you go into this position looking to strategically run a business, you will be disappointed. I spent so much of my time folding clothes, stocking shelves, handling angry guests, and even cleaning up trash and messes around the store. If you want to be in a super hands-on environment, it could be a good fit for you.
    -Salary looks great, especially coming out of undergrad, but since we have to work minimum 50 hours a week, when you break it down it really wasn't much. That's not even considering the times I worked more than 50, and working weekends/night.

Advice to Management

-Consider the interests of ETLs before placing them in a role. Ultimately I left because I wasn't placed in a role that I fit into (sales floor), and I didn't see myself getting to where I wanted to be with Target.
    -Work life balance is less than ideal. Please review making ETLs work 10 hour days on the weekends. This really lowers morale, and usually it's unnecessary because the sales floor is staffed so heavy on the weekends anyways.

8. "Challenging"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy over department. Great team dynamics. Do well and you are treated well
    Ability to constantly stretch and grow
    Good pay

Cons

Too much change all at once, makes it difficult to solidify progress
    No clear assessment of team dynamic over talent with executive management

Advice to Management

Be forthcoming with information as early as possible to confirm buy in. When changes occur with a week it's hard to scrambled to make it happen effectively.

9. "Target ETL-Logistics"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a team that allows you a personal connection with those who you work with on a daily basis. Connections with people in the community through both the guests who come into the building and events held in the communities

Cons

Unclear direction from upper management on how stores should operate and rash decisions in the new implementation of processes. Pay for executives is not consistent .

Advice to Management

Work to bring the leadership team together more through consistent and clear communication involving the company direction. Work to pay those who perform and not make excuses.

10. "Executive Team Leader review"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience of running a multi-million dollar business
    Having an impact on you teams lives by helping them get promoted

Cons

Thankless Job
    Working nights, weekends, every single holiday
    Work- life balance
    Very Political

Advice to Management

Pay your Executives more based on the amount of hours they work
    Don't make them work every single holiday, maybe rotate it>