Target Flow Team Member Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life Balance (Weekends & minimum 10 hours daily on your feet)" (in 1622 reviews)

• "The company is going through some changes in the clothing part of the store that were constantly changing without team members being informed quickly" (in 1720 reviews)

1. "Overall not a bad place"

Former Employee - Target Flow Team Member in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Target Flow Team Member in Highland, IN

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned how things were accomplished from unloading the truck to stocking the floor. My manager was pretty laid back and easy to get along with. After getting used to the routine and picking up speed with stocking, I would regularly be asked to stay later for more hours.

Cons

4:30 am start time was rough. I would have preferred an overnight shift.

2. "Not too bad to work for"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to chat as a flow team member, the people were nice, they were really helpful if you asked good questions in training

Cons

Always expected to stay past your scheduled shift if there was still merchandise to push, job got really monotonous, lots of bending and lifting can make for a serious backache

3. "Seasonal Line Worker at Target"

Current Employee - Seasonal Flow Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Flow Team Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work to do so there are many hours available and overtime is common. Unloading the truck and working on the line can be a good workout as they require a lot of movement and frequent heavy lifting. Management makes sure to give breaks when appropriate and I have never felt that I had been working too long without a break. Additionally, team leaders recognize hard work during the busiest times and give occasional rewards such as free breakfast. Having a good work ethic is also a very simple way of being kept on as a permanent team member after the seasonal period is over. The job is simple but consistent and the trainers I met were always patient and made sure I understood procedures completely.

Cons

During the busiest times, the shifts start as early as 2 AM and can last 10 hours, which can be draining when most of it is spent unloading the trucks. Management keeps track of attendance and seasonal employees are at a greater risk of being let go due to poor attendance and hours can be a bit inflexible, although this is to be expected.

4. "Good money, terrible coworkers and bosses"

Current Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High entry-level wage, good benefits after a while, excellent environment once the store opens, fast-paced, very physical

Cons

Performance standards increase over time, and your superiors won't make room for you to learn if you are new to the job, if you don't pick it up in the first two weeks, that's your fault, and you will be laid off if your seasonal or fired if you're full time

Advice to Management

Be more patient with new employees, I understand that you should be getting quality employees when you offer a quality-wage, but the pace at which I was personally expected to unload a truck was almost as ridiculous as the behavior of the lower-level management, despite stating several times that I wasn't physically capable of unloading large amounts of freight in very small windows of time, I would still be constantly placed in the truck, I know that physically-capable people are becoming more scarce of a resource in retail too, but I do feel like it would be extremely easy to redistribute the workload between those that are physically capable, as opposed to simply dumping off one to five thousand items of inventory on one or two guys, and then telling them they have to be finished with all of it at a rate of a thousand items an hour, before threatening them with changing them from a permanent full-time hire to a seasonal hire, just before conveniently sliding into the conversation of laying off seasonal employees. Maybe this is just my personal experience, but I feel like the way this particular department operates is extremely inefficient, it's also a very competitive and relatively hostile environment to work in when you're in the back room, it seems to me like employees and bosses alike are constantly trying to see what they can get away with, in terms of things like jurisdiction, political correctness, and hostility.

5. "Flow team member"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Nice team spirit/camaraderie, free coffee and food at break

Cons

irregular hours, not enough hours in off-season. Can't pay rent when only scheduled for two days a week, but then expected to work five or six days a week when store is busy.

Advice to Management

stop taking advantage of people's desperation, willingness to put up with your inconsiderate scheduling and guarantee people a livable number of hours. You will retain better people who will be more loyal and work harder. As it is now, you are being short-sighted in your cheapness, and losing a pound to save a penny.

6. "Working at Target"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Augusta, GA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Meeting new people all of the time .Co-workers were the best thing made the time working go by a lot easier having someone to talk and vent to.

Cons

Poor management,low hours, management showed favoritism, people that worked hard were treated like crap and had to work harder to cover for the one’s who don’t.

Advice to Management

Need to learn how to communicate better to your employees ,cut out the favoritism and basically learn how to treat people better!

7. "Logistical flow"

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work conditions good people

Cons

Time pressure to get more done

"An "Okay" Job"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The pay was pretty good at 12 bucks an hour.

- The hours for part time were really nice with me only having to work 3-5 hours or an occasional 8 hour shift (very occasional) so I had most of the day to study and then go to classes.

- You get paid breaks as well

- The job is very straight forward. You spend about an hour or two unloading the truck, then you spend the remainder of your time opening boxes and stocking shelves.

Cons

- My team leader had a very poor and militant management style, very often I was asked to perform my task in under 15 minutes that task usually being stocking and when I of course failed I was chewed out. The goals set up by management to achieve were almost impossible since the amount of boxes of product given to you to stock were 30+. Essentially you would be asked to go to the product's aisle, open the box, stock the items, and break down the box all in under a minute. Management's idea is that 30 boxes should only take you 30 minutes or less. I was frequently yelled at for "taking too long" even if I was done in 35 minutes.

- Part Time doesn't really mean part time as you will be asked to stay up to 6-8 hours, like another reviewer said they mostly just say it's part time to avoid giving you benefits. On multiple occasions I was asked to stay 8 hours even though I had made it abundantly clear that as a college student I had classes and could not stay. Management would get very frustrated and angry claiming I wasn't taking the job seriously. However to be fair when I did say no they didn't force me to stay 8 hours nor did they fire me for not staying.

- The discount they give to part time workers is only 10% while full time is higher.

- As a part time worker you aren't allowed to exceed 40 hours so they will frequently cut your hours. I worked close to 40 hours one week so I was given 4 days off and was not allowed to come to work.

- Days off are very random with no set schedule, I would get a Tuesday off and a Thursday off one week then the next get Friday and Sunday off. Some weeks I only got one day off and worked the rest of the week.

- There doesn't seem to really be any opportunity for advancement. Multiple co-workers told me that they had been in the same job for years with no raise or promotion.

All in all this wasn't the worst job I have had but the management style of yelling at you for moving "too slow" needs to be changed. Otherwise it was a pretty straightforward job with decent pay and okay hours for part time.

9. "Flow Team Member"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in College Station, TX

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great team
    - Easy Work
    - Flexible Schedule
    - Early Hours that didn't interfere with daytime work
    - Great first job or part-time job

Cons

- Management could be messy from time to time
    - Hard on the hands - you will definitely get a little scuffed up

10. "It was alright"

Former Employee - Flow Team/Backroom Team Member
    Former Employee - Flow Team/Backroom Team Member

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

where I worked at it was probably the best job I worked at. the team members where awesome and target really took care of us when you had to work in the holidays. I worked as flow and it was really easy then I switched to backroom which was also cool.

Cons

the only con is that I had to wake up so early to unload the truck at 4am but that's pretty much it.