Target Reviews in Harrisburg, PA | Glassdoor

Brian Cornell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Target Protection Specialist"

Current Employee - Target Protection Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Target Protection Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people. Low stress. Very flexible.

Cons

Hard to get full time as a team member.

2. "Ok"

Current Employee - Food Team Leader in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Food Team Leader in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance- have of every other weekend
    Great benefits
    Meet great people- the team members and leaders are really nice
    Relatively set schedule

Cons

Career advancement for Team Leaders nonexistent
    Requires a Bachelors Degree to reach ETL level
    Very Stressful environment
    Constantly changing expectations
    Food Team Leaders are responsible for entire food areas and aren't in the food areas as much as needed

Advice to Management

Focus on Team Leader Development
    Pay Food Team Leaders more especially for the the amount of area you have

3. "Decent job with abysmal hours"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, above minimum wage pay, relatively easy

Cons

Very few hours, foolish customers

4. "Sales Floor Team Member"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay for part time work was good
    - Very individual and team based work
    - Hours of operations aren't bad and leave time for other stuff in your life
    - Great first job for somebody

Cons

- Inconsistent supervising
    - Promotions are more of a popularity contest instead of based on merit

Advice to Management

Make sure you're promoting and hiring the right people not just because you like them.

5. "Boring but easy"

Former Employee - Cashier in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

10% discount, easy work, flexible with scheduling

Cons

extremely boring, obsessed with getting people to sign up with the red card, not much room to advance, not many hours

Advice to Management

instead of constantly hiring new people give your current employees hours. Stop being so obsessed with red card goals

6. "Certified pharmacy tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shippensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shippensburg, PA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The front store team doesn't turn their nose to you, like other retailers. There is decent communication between managers and employees.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest and most days I do not feel valued, and do not feel like any managers have my back when their is an issue.

"No opportunities for advancement."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positives:
    -met a ton of awesome people that I still keep in touch with
    -good benefits
    -flexible with time off

Cons

Negatives:
    -long and irregular hours
    -impossibly high expectations
    -no room for advancement (you're basically stuck in whatever level you were hired as)
    -poor executive management
    -very high turnover at every level
    -change roles/departments on a yearly basis

Advice to Management

Advice:
    -genuine employee recognition
    -talent development
    -better training for team leads

"The Only Reward for this High-Stress Job was the Exercise"

Former Employee - Receiving/Reverse Logistics in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Receiving/Reverse Logistics in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of working as a receiver were the 15% employee discount (if you use your Redcard), at least five miles of walking a day, plus heavy lifting, a set schedule (if you don't mind being at work at 0600), and most of the vendors were fun.

Cons

If you think you are just going to "receive in" product, you are mistaken. Very mistaken. Almost impossible to keep up with destroyed/damaged product (some of which are classified as hazardous waste, so they have to be disposed of in a special manner, even though you have all of them in your house somewhere). Then there are the weekly and daily "MIRs," (merchandise to return to the vendor or the distribution center) -- I had as many as 51 in one week. And those weren't just 51 items -- 51 MIRs most with as many as 60 individual UPCs with just as many units that needed pulled, processed, and shipped. Oh, and you are responsible for the outprocessing of weekly donations to Goodwill and the Food Bank. There are the infamous Steritech audits (where someone comes to your location to identify everything you are doing wrong), and then there are weekly audits. You are also responsible for receiving in (getting the product entered in to the POS system and activating the accounts receivable process) for all merchandise received from Fedex and UPS. Did I mention cleaning up after your fellow team members who refuse to bag and tag whatever product they broke, so you are left cleaning up the case of broken molasses or spaghetti sauce and everything it got on, while trying not to cut yourself on the broken glass. And as you are working all day, you get to hear the sales floor team being heartily congratulated for each customer they got to sign up for a Redcard, while no matter how many extra hours you put in or how hard you work or how many breaks you forgo (in my case, I never took one even though you are entitled to two 15s a day) to try and get the job done, all you end up with is a dirty, thankless, high-stress job that no matter how hard you try, you can't possibly succeed in it. I still dream about doing this job and wake up in a panic.

Advice to Management

Most of the team leaders and ETL are just trying to keep from drowning themselves, so there is only so much effort they can give to fix any one department. I think a couple of them care, a couple could care less. No one wants to hire additional help, but at a store this size, you need more than one FTE in Receiving. Also, train all employees on bagging and tagging (i.e., processing) damaged ESIMs product and then hold them accountable for doing so.

9. "Good job"

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly work place, work with personal schedule , good discounts, good stepping stone into retail

Cons

Could use bonuses, Hire more friendly people, No pto, no work benefits

10. "Flow Team Member"

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is repetitive, but honestly it is not that bad. Unload the truck, stock the shelves, clean up, stock some more. I like my supervisors, other individuals don't. If you just listen and do what you're told there isn't any problems. Even if you work part time, you're still eligible for health/other benefits. They really work around my schedule. They don't make you cover up tattoos or piercings, which is cool. The encourage individuality. That I can appreciate.

Cons

The pay isn't the best. It's $9.00 an hour plus $1.00 for any hours that you work prior to 06:00am. Some mornings it takes (2) hours to unload the truck and that can be rough, but once that is done, it gets easier. I think that some of my co-workers should have more respect for their supervisors. If they talked to me like that, I would send their a$$es home. The other other thing is some departments rant about sh!t they don't know about. They need to mind their own business and worry about doing their jobs rather than worry about what my department is doing.

Advice to Management

The starting hourly pay is the same today as it was (10) years ago. I don't know who is in charge of that matter, but they should increase the pay for hard working employees. Some of the younger employees are disrespectful to their managers. I understand everyone has a bad day, but you're at work, get it together.

Showing 14 of 25,748 reviews