Target Reviews in Hartford, CT | Glassdoor

2.5
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours can impact work life balance (in 1417 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1503 reviews)

1. "Great team work"

Former Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people and team with a hands on mentality.... Great working atmosphere in all departments. Loved working there, but had to move.

Cons

The payment could definitely be better., especially for extra hours .. Working hours are very flexible, which is awful most of the time.

2. "Executive Team Leader- Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Great company with great benefits. Fashion forward and always trying to stay ahead of the competition, very current company. Open to development and also feedback is sought out and shared.

Cons

Be prepared to work more hours than "Scheduled" as all positions are salary. Can be smart with schedule but if culture or operation is not doing well more work will need to be done to improve it.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on employee engagement and the rest will fall into place.

3. "Store Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The networking is great and you learn so much about leadership and how to implement it into the workplace. Innovative company after Style.

Cons

Communication is inconsistent and constant firedrills. Upper management just fills openings as opposed to finding the right person for the job.

Advice to Management

Support your stores by getting great talent, even if you have to pay more to be competitive in the area.

4. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Hartford, CT

Pros

Great development focus with room for compensation growth

Cons

Work life balance can be non existent at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate and put resources back into stores.

5. "Loved the Team Work concept"

Former Employee - Target Cashier in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in Hartford, CT

Pros

Management was pretty easy to take into considerations schedules needed. Were approachable

Cons

they hire on so many that the Team members that have been there have their hrs cut drastically so everyone suffers.

6. "Good Summer Job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hartford, CT

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company
    Great hours
    Potential for growth

Cons

Poor Management
    Scheduling for Hours
    Benefits not great unless there for long time

Advice to Management

I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

7. "Ordinary"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules for employees

Cons

Work hrs depends on sales

Advice to Management

Increase hourly rate and give employees more hours as this will prevent the high turn over rate.

"Great employees, terrible management"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance I guess, meaning that you end up with a part-time schedule whether you want it or not. Really great team members, Target hires really good people. I love the people I work with every day. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Whenever upper management is in the store they totally ignore us (which makes me wonder, why even bother touring your stores?) One regional manager stopped by our store on a semi-regular basis, and she made sure to walk by the pharmacy and glare at us, never saying a word. She was promoted, of course. Pharmacies are being micromanaged like crazy. We are only supposed to have minimal inventory on the shelves, except for the fastest moving drugs. We are literally expected to only order medication when guests bring in prescriptions, and make them wait one to two business days. Training is a joke.

Advancement opportunity is absolutely zero. Pay is terrible. Competitive it is not, and I work in the pharmacy, so I make almost double the state minimum wage, and it's barely enough to pay for rent and the car. Insurance is terrible, if I was even eligible for it, half the time my hours are below the minimum cut-off. I knew several employees who signed up for the insurance plan only to be kicked off it several months later when their hours were cut. Constantly firing older employees and bringing in younger naive ones. Walmart business model with a slightly more stylish veneer.

And possibly the most grating thing about Target is that communication among team members has to be formalized and made into paperwork, with "Good Team" cards. Great, somebody noticed that I worked well with a guest. It would have been nicer if they could just tell me, rather than handing me a hastily scribbled piece of paper which I'm then expected to hang on the board, to prove that we *support* each other. The Vibe is idiotic. You know what would be even better, rather than making me fill out an hour's worth of paperwork documenting how I helped guests, is if I could use that time to *better serve guests.* That was actually one of the points in my annual review, that I spend too long talking with guests. No, I'm not building relationships and maintaining our business's good reputation, to Target I should be using that time to fill out paperwork. Corporatocracy at its best.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Management obviously couldn't care a fig for loyal employees. My coworker's mother also worked in HR for Target, and several weeks shy of her 10 year anniversary working with Target she was unceremoniously fired, so Target could save a minimal amount of money by not paying her benefits she would have been eligible for (and yes that was the reason given to her by the Hr rep who fired her). After being an excellent employee for over 9 years, she wasn't even allowed to use the front door when they fired her. There's no conscience here at all. To shaft your loyal and hardworking employees out of measly pay, and then shell out $55 million in severance for Steinhaffel, you've got to be delusional. Burning your employees like this is poisoning your corporate culture. The only reason I'm still here is because the job market is so poor right now. As soon as I'm offered something else, I'm gone. Maybe I'll put in my two weeks, maybe not. Good luck to you.

"Team is great but company getting too political"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is ver good compared to other

Cons

Politics, no work life balance

"An extra inch - never Enough, and not worth it"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Ever-changing and continuously looking to improve from the top of company downward
    + Great experience for large scope in retail management, guest experience, talent development, performance management, crowd management as a big box retailer
    + Ambitious employees, high expectations,
    + Good compensation

Cons

- Training strategy is poor and does little to see through external hires
    - Assignment placement strategy poor, often times people will be placed in roles that are unsuitable to their strengths and experience which eventually leads there failure as it becomes a quick fix for the company to fill a position but with the wrong candidate it's poor for the business and the career of that individual
    - Leaders' turnover is too high (due to poor management of leaders which causes power-trips or popularity contests) and does not create consistency in focuses, development of team, and results or good morale
    - Excessive amount of "focuses" - I understand everyone is responsible to drive results, but when every visitor has 5 focuses there are 10 people visiting throughout a month, an Stls focuses, company focuses and then there are 4-6 Etls driving focuses with their team leads driving focuses. Ultimately they are no longer focuses.
    - Weekends and holidays are dreadful and are hell when "visitors" decide to come visit to tell you that you are red when you haven't eaten or sat down or stopped smiling, sweating, and encouraging a team who walked into a wrecked store and the guests are back at it. Notice these same visitors have not worked in stores for over 5 years or ever . Thanks for the tips guys but everyone here is working while our families and loved ones aren't and neither are these visitors. You don't make changes to processes on weekends and holidays so why would we come in to provide feedback on these already strenuous days.
    -Always looking over your own back as politics are high and mighty and gossip, games and unfair terminations are frequent!

Advice to Management

Evaluate what you are walking into as the store team does, support the stores with their plans, strategies, and don't visit during the most stressful times to compile the stress! Support, recognize, and be fair to the team. Skip playing favorites or targeting unfairly it is see through and does not build a conducive or professional work environment. Streamline focuses and support the teams in getting to meet the results. if you continually tell a team they are red they believe that is all they can be. Engage and Inspire to drive fear and intimidate, these are basic management principles.

Showing 10 of 24,753 reviews