Target Reviews in Issaquah, WA | Glassdoor

4.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "One Great Big Happy Family"

Current Employee - Cashier in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

People there are often highly considerate of others, lending a hand when possible, being there for coworkers inside and outside the workplace.

Cons

Lines are kept strict between ranks in the store hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Change absolutely nothing!

2. "Great first job for me"

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Good pay
    -Easy to do
    -Light physical activity
    -Annual Raises
    -Paid sick time off

Cons

-it can get repetitive after a while
    -sometimes you get a bit bored
    -Not much opportunity to advance

Advice to Management

Would like to see more areas for team members to advance in

3. "Starbucks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun, you stay busy and get a higher pay for being a part of a different department within the store

Cons

scheduling, general annoyance and other minor things

Advice to Management

stop using fear as a method to get your employees to act the way you want them too.

"Executive Team Leader- Guest Experience"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader- Guest Experience in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader- Guest Experience in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the managers are young, fun people. Great pay for a just out of college person. You really get the opportunity to gain a lot of experience and confidence in a short amount of time.

Cons

Insane work hours, some weeks were about 70 hours a week. Also, the schedule was not very good. The upper management is the worse part though. Very much so of a "fake it till you make it" type of mentality.

Advice to Management

Set expectations based on the store and community. Not just from HQ where they don't actually know what is happening in the store itself.

5. "team member"

Current Employee - Team Member in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

good business model and ideas

Cons

not enough compensation for type of work they make you do

"Beware!!!"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-listening to music
    -free exercise
    This is am awful job.

Cons

I have been working for Target for the last 4 years. I think it is important to stress to potentials looking at this business that work ethic means nothing. I have been given consistently good reviews and I make bare minimum wage. Recently the min in WA was raised and Target actually bumped me down to the base 11.50. There was no explanation and that means I feel free to leave any time because I have built nothing with this company. Target doesn't value it's employees and hard work will not be rewarded. Only consider this business if you are desperate and need something while job searching.

Advice to Management

Upping the base pay to make Target more "competitive" won't work so well if you neglect loyal workers and generate more reviews like the one I'm leaving. Get it together.

"Target provides a supportive and positive work environment that focuses having fun interactions with guests."

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the "fast, fun, friendly" motto for checking guests out. It's all about the "vibe". I got to know and recognize many of the other team members in a short period of time. Most to all are all super friendly and helpful to new people.

Cons

Selling Red Cards. If you struggle in sales, just know that as a cashier it is super important. They will force it down your throat and give you nightmares. On the other hand, if you are good at sales, congrats, you get to keep your job. There is too much emphasis on selling the cards over providing a great experience for the guests.

Advice to Management

Support your team members, encourage them and reward them for the good they do. Don't punish or scold them for what they can't do. It's called reinforcement.

8. "Excellent enviornment, outstanding respect to fellow employees regardless of hierarchy, and unparalleled benefits."

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benetifs of being a team member are unmatched. After 6 months, you qualify for Target funded health insurance (if, however, as of the Affordable Care act, you don't immediately qualify for gov't insurance as far as I'm aware). Immediately after being hired, you get 401k assistance, a "Nurseline" that you can call anytime (i.e. they can answer that question about that mysterious rash on your back), unlimited growth/training opportunities (excludes seasonal until you get approved as a part/full-time member), a wage raise every April; and the list goes on and on...

Target is well known for its dedication to the validation of good work ethics, and encourages its team members to acknowlege other members if they had a good experience with a guest, or if another team member assisted them with something.

What I liked most about this job (just above the camaraderic environment) is that upper management actually encourages you to give suggestions about making the workplace more efficient. Which means, unlike many companies, they listen to all employees about ways to make their company a better place to work!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that there aren't more companies like this out there. I can honestly say I didn't run into any problems that I could blame the company - or even any of my fellow employees about! I do wish the break room had lockers though; lockers are in the main office, which is kind of an awkward transition if you're on break and a guest asks you for help. By law (at least in Washington), you cannot assist guests while on lunch or break.

Advice to Management

This isn't necessarily advice to management per se, but; I had a efficiency suggestion that I kept on forgetting to inform management about. On the sales floor, one of the team's responsibilites is to answer all calls at the numerous call boxes spread around the store. These call boxes have wired phones. So when a guest calls and asks for us to look up an item, or put one on hold, we must leave the wired phones off the cradle (that has the hang-up trigger built into it) and on the ledge below it, leaving the phone just sitting on the ledge. Occasionally, a customer (or a child) will see this, think that the phone just never got hung up, and hang up the phone while the customer is waiting.

I was thinking it would help a lot if Target made cradles on the call box's ledge below the crade that had a sign saying "Do not hang up - customer call in progress". That way, it would reduce the likelihood of someone being hung up on, and get more sales. Of course, having wireless phones would solve the problem completely, but would cost more. I guess corporate would decide between those two options.

9. "Fun team, unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Department Head in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Head in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Decent benefits/discounts, good team members and an attempt to celebrate milestones and events. Good apprecation/recognition from fellow team members and lots of variety in the work day.

Cons

Very hectic in busy times. Quite often employees are subject to the whims of good/bad supervisors and if you don't 'click' for some reason, you are out! Extremely inordinate obsession with process, best practice, with little margin for error, to the point of bypassing talented people becasue they dont 'fit' perfectly. Always more work to do than hours to do it. Obsession with record keeping/administration/paper work.

Advice to Management

Please be sure you are prioritizing those things that actually turn profit and not just process. Remember 'form follows function.' If your District managers feel something is important be sure they communicate why. You are loosing talented people for picayunish reasons. silly!

"After 3 years of record breaking conversions I was forced to clean public toilet bowls then handle public's merchandice!"

Former Employee - Member Service (Cashier) in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Member Service (Cashier) in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Work schedule was maintained as promised.

Cons

Many sociopaths to deal with. HR will lock the door & hide from problems. Even though one performs outstanding service and is awarded for achievments no consideration is given when forced to accept new duties to hand clean filth from public toilet bowls, then return to register and handle publics purchases. Shamefull and without remorse!

Upper Management is evasive & placating.

Thus far Mr. Gregg W. Steinhafel has ignored the problem.

Advice to Management

Get your collective heads out of the toilet...

Showing 10 of 28,936 reviews