Target Reviews in Kentucky | Glassdoor

3.5
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great Part-Time work for retiree"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to set your hours to work
    Helpful LOD's
    Work as a team

Cons

I have been at Target for 2 years and have received two raises. However, the raises are not reflected in my pay since the hourly rate is now $12.00/hour. With my raises, I was below this, so my hourly pay was raised to $12.00/hr which is the same as a team member who starts today.

Advice to Management

When the hourly wage is increased, please include the team member earned raised into that hourly raise. For example if a team member has earned a $.60/hour raise, then increase that member's pay to $12.60 instead of $12.00. Thanks.

2. "College Student Job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Newport, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Newport, KY

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Good job college students
    Decent Pay

Cons

Hours vary depending on sales

3. "Sr. Team Leader of logistics"

Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Louisville, KY

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits,

Cons

If your close to retirement they want you gone. They don't want anyone in a leadership roll over 55. If you complain about issues they will find a way to get you to leave.

Advice to Management

Follow policy don't change them to benefit you

4. "Guest Service Attendant"

Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always something to do. They are really great about breaks, though wish the lunch was 45 minutes instead of 30 because of the size of the store. Working here is not for the lazy as you are constantly having to do something in a short amount of time. Never had any issues with the public as most people enjoy shopping here. Upper management was always super friendly and encouraging, though they did love to gossip.

Cons

Low pay for the work you do, but for a retail store it isn't so bad. There is no work/life balance - if you work here full time it is your life. Always expected to stay super late (especially during busy season like back to school and Christmas) even though they cannot legally make you, it is expected.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates more about what they really need, otherwise the culture and values of Target are great!

5. "Fast. Fun. Friendly."

Current Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Newport, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Newport, KY

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and benefits. Getting to see new brands before the public. Sometimes we get catered food just because. Swap shift bored in case you want to give up a shift and someone wants to take it.

Cons

You have to upsell to every guest. Youre always on your feet. You have to talk to every guest that walks by or that is in your area.

"Great Pay - Horrible Hours - Horrible Training - NOT WORTH IT"

Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Starting wages for the softlines team put me at $11.50 an hour, as of November 2017, which is the only reason why this review gets 2 stars instead of the 1 it deserves
    +upper management is understanding and works with you in cases of emergencies
    +scheduling system is pretty basic and easy to understand
    +the team member discount - %10 off general merchandise, %15 off wellness/fresh products. Stacked on top of the %5 discount from the red card, you save pretty quickly
    +Softlines work is pretty easy. You stock "truck" in the morning hours in the clothing department, and "zone" the department after 5 pm. The back stock rooms are a little intimidating, but easy to learn once you know what you're doing
    +2 15 minute breaks per shift over 6 hours, and a 30 minute lunch

Cons

+bi-weekly pay
    +GETTING HOURS/AFTER HOLIDAYS NIGHTMARE HELLSCAPE: I was hired on in November as a non-seasonal employee, and was promised full-time hours after Xmas, and guess what I got instead? My hours were slashed to less than 15 a week as soon as the new year began, and stayed that way until I finally quit in late February. This is regular Target policy, as I've heard from management, because they have to cut back the whole store's hours to make up for all the overtime that came with the holidays, but none of my other retail jobs have ever done this, even after the holidays. Some weeks I wouldn't get a shift at all, and my bi-weekly paychecks were never more than $230. Management said hours would pick up in late March and go back to normal, but to expect your regular employees to stick it out for 3 whole months with poor hours and short shifts until then??? I had to quit before the hours could pick up again because I couldn't pay my bills. This wouldn't be so upsetting if management had told me about this when I was hired or placed in orientation, because I was blindsided by this policy--as were a bunch of other new, non-seasonal employees in the store. AND, because of the strict hours and scheduling, there would only be TWO, I repeat, TWO!!! softlines employees in the whole clothing department for morning and nigh shift--and ONE of those TWO employees was the operator at the fitting room!! Which means ONE person was responsible for the whole department, including putting out truck, zoning, AND going up to the registers for back up, and between the customer questions and the overload of truck, getting through a whole shift without going insane was impossible. I'm a pretty task-oriented worker, and I couldn't get through any of my assigned tasks for my shifts because of all the chaos that was expected of me. It was easier working during Christmas compared to the expectations my managers wanted of me during that time. Again, I reiterate that I would not be complaining about this schedule/policy if I was told of Target's ways BEFORE I was hired there. (HAMBURG TARGET IN LEXINGTON, KY, I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!!)
    +horrible co-workers: This is mostly how it was during the holidays. I can't even begin with how much I hated nearly every person I worked with in softlines. The full-time employees were elitist jerks who only worked in their "areas," and when they "worked" they mostly gossiped with one another or dawdled around the department trying to look busy, while "some" of the seasonal or new employees worked in every part of the department. Whenever I had a question or needed help, the full-time employees made me feel like an idiot, or that I was wasting their time by asking them questions, which made me feel even worse about my job. Aside from the full-timers, the new hires and seasonal kids are all either in college or high school, with zero work ethic, and a desperate hunger for gossip and belonging to a little clique of "work friends." I found myself on multiple occasions having to pick up someone else's slack because they wanted to be on their phone in the stock room, or hang out in the fitting rooms instead of doing their work. Management never got onto them, either. AND, when backup was needed on the registers, suddenly all the new hires/seasonal workers decide to "go on break" at the same time, and the full-time flowers are "too busy" to go up front, so me and a few other hard workers were the only ones to go up on lane nearly every single time, which made putting out truck or zoning three times harder. After the holidays, when half of the seasonal crop was booted out the door, the full-time employees STILL got 40 hours a week and didn't do a single thing throughout their shifts, while me and the other new, permanent hires were given 12 hours a week, to watch the full-timers get paid for doing nothing. It was infuriating, and another reason why I quit.
    +operator/fitting room: I don't have a problem with talking on the phone, but when your manager throws you onto the operator position with zero training for a full 8 hour shift, you start to see red. The phone system isn't that hard to figure out, but it's pulling teeth to get one of the employees to show you how to use it. And you end up getting yelled at over the phone when no one else in the store answers their lines on time, which sucks. On top of answering outbound phone calls, you have to keep an eye on the fitting room and repackage defective products, which isn't that hard, but you have to be a heck of a multi-tasker to do it.
    +zero training: Yeah, I was given "training" for 2 days when I first started, which involved a manager telling me to follow someone around and show me how to fold clothes, when I already knew how to do all of that thanks to my previous job. When it comes to working the walkie, the hand held scanners, the back room, the brands, EVERYTHING, you have to figure it out on your own, because everyone expect you to already know what you're doing. Cashier training is more thorough than the sales floor training I received, and I wasn't even a cashier. Everything I knew how to do was thanks to me.
    +no chance for career opportunities
    +you don't get benefits until a certain amount of time you've worked, and it's only offered in a week-long window in like March or something
    +Target "Culture": Target is a white-washed-30-something-Michael-Kors-fanatic Starbucks-addict-iphone-junkie-corporate-capitalist wasteland. It absolutely disgusted me having to check out some of the people that shop at this store, and seeing all the useless things they spend their money and credit cards on. I'd rather work at Walmart and shop at Walmart any day of the week compared to the brainless, trendy elitism that makes up Target's red and white stores.

Advice to Management

+train your employees better
    +tell your new hires around the xmas season about the chaotic Target policy that will ensue after xmas
    -TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES
    -actually be a management figure and get onto the people who slack off instead of turning a blind eye to it all when your hard workers end up doing all the work

"Electronics Team Member"

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, competitive pay for part time, decent exposure to sales, customer service experience.

Cons

Occasional scheduling issues due to automatic machine, leadership is stressed because there are a lot of region and district visits, organizational structure needs some work.

8. "Great Place for College Students"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Florence, KY

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, easy job, flexible hours.

Cons

Understaffed, late nights, early mornings

Advice to Management

Need more cashiers during weekends

"GSA"

Current Employee - GSA in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - GSA in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Flexible schedules
    Discount on merchandise
    Honestly I can't think of 5 pros
    Really

Cons

Horrible store management
    Lack of hours- would sometimes be scheduled less than 20 hours and I am full-time
    SEVERELY understaffed often