Target Reviews in Knoxville, TN | Glassdoor

2.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1608 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1704 reviews)

1. "Team member"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Managers were positive and recognized achievements.

Cons

Only thing was switching to different positions, for example I was a cart pusher the last 3 weeks before I left.

Advice to Management

I loved working at target at a seasonal position for christmas. Helped me through the holidays and would work here again!

2. "Hardlines Team Lead"

Former Employee - Hardlines Team Lead in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Hardlines Team Lead in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good place to work when you are a student and when I first started in 2012 it seemed that everyone was moving up. By the time I became a manager the whole game changed an now they are looking to down size the positions.

Cons

For 5 years I had been getting dollar raises and nothing but excellent reviews. First year as a Team Lead they decided that none of the Team Leads deserved a good review so they couldn't make us eligible to move up so after a more than dedicated year and improvements in my departments I got a 13 cent raise and a improved outcomes needed. This may be a store by store case but upper management made sure that we all suffered my last year of working there. Hope they have changed since.

3. "GSA"

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Workmates were fantastic all the time

Cons

Higher-ups not so much; except for One cool team lead.

Advice to Management

They won’t listen to what I have to say anyways, so I don’t even know why I have to write this statement.

4. "By far one of the worst jobs I've worked. All problems come from the top down, as management seems clueless."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay & the coworkers make Target okay. That's all they've got going for them, though.

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on. They constantly break/manipulate Target policy, promote fraud, belittle employees, etc etc.

Advice to Management

Stop with the micromanaging, treat people like people, follow the rules set by the government & the very company you work for.

5. "Love the Team, Not the Company"

Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the best I've ever had the pleasure being around. We endured a lot of corporate change, a lot of in store change, and a lot of day to day madness of retail together. They were the reason I went to work every day.

Cons

Management made a terrible team lead hire that is eventually going to run everyone off and wont do anything about it because they would have to admit they made a mistake, they were wrong, and that's never going to happen. Also, they have an unethical review process wherein Mgr's will change scores for their favorites or they will give you the lowest score possible to prevent promotion for at least another 18-24 months without any documentation or evidence to back it up. This is especially unethical when everyone of your check in's over the year leading up to the review has been stellar, exceptional, etc. One final note, they will flat out lie to you. I was hired in and guaranteed a promotion to ETL after 18 months by both the STL and the DTL. IT didn't' happen, instead they got political with the annual review to keep me down. Funny, I turned down ETL initially when hired off the street because I couldn't move immediately, however 18 months later after working fot Target, I'm suddenly not ready for a job I was ready for and offered when I walked in the door? Absolutely unprofessional!

Advice to Management

People have lives, bills, things they want to pursue. The fluctuation in hours for team members is unsatisfactory and is built upon a broken labor model nobody, and I mean NOBODY uses. Piling on hours for a visit so the store looks good and then barely surviving on a skeleton crew afterwards is no way to run a business. Start making the business about the team again, not the bottom line. Stop lying to people. Listen to your team when they are all collectively telling you someone is a bad seed, a cancer if you will. They might be right, which means you might be wrong.

6. "Great Company Not Enough Resoures"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great culture, great employee resources

Cons

Overworked management and team members. Expect too much from employees.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing roles

7. "There's always changes and they could be either good or bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Flexible if you are a student or work more than one job
    *Seem to always be hiring
    *10% discount but only if you use a redcard, gift card, or card
    *You get raises but it's not as much as you may think

Cons

*Stores can be chaotic depending on whose managing
    *Hours can get cut at any time (this was horrible for areas of the store that would need their hours)
    *Corporate wise no platform for team members to voice their negative opinions about the company (best team member survey doesn't count)
    *Lazy workers are given countless chances to "correct" their problems but the problems still happen and they never fire them

Advice to Management

*Team members need a place to voice their opinions or ideas without fear of retaliation from their management (that would happen at my store in the past)
    *Managers don't know some areas of the store and would just ignore it which made it hard to come to them for help. They should know every area and aspect of the store and not just what's popular or sells better.
    *Ill preparedness and poor scheduling was a very big problem (especially when using last year's sales to make up the hours for each store)
    *Stores should always be able to train regardless of training hours
    *Frustrated team members that feel they can't go to their leaders (not team leaders) with their problems being nothing really gets "fixed"
    *Pay attention to your hard workers that value a strong work ethic. Some of your hard workers aren't extremely dramatic and outgoing about what they do but they do shine in other areas.
    *Don't stress out the people working for you just because you are stressed out

8. "Guest service"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and nice team members

Cons

Managers sleeping with employees, horrible management t, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Listen and treat team members with respect

9. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Farragut, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Farragut, TN

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You can wear any red shirt and brown pants you want to.
    -Very good with breaks.

Cons

-Unfair treatment.
    -Not flexible with schedule at all.
    -Not much to do.
    -You just stand around, rarely busy.

Advice to Management

If you're going to advise that you can hold a flexible schedule and can match mine then hold up to it. I was told that I can not have one day off, ONE DAY< due too me being a minor and they can not work with my schedule.

10. "Its what you expect I guess..."

Former Employee - Stock in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Stock in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have to deal with customers much

Cons

Sometimes you work by yourself and it can be a little much
    Lack of communication
    Always problems with scheduling, I was part-time and in school and they could never get my schedule right no matter how many times I told them

Advice to Management

Work on c

Showing 39 of 30,234 reviews