Target Reviews in Las Cruces, NM | Glassdoor

2.2
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1576 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1680 reviews)

1. "Great"

Former Employee - Cashier in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere cool work experience

Cons

None that i can think of

2. "Started our great but transfers can be horrible, its not the same company values throughout the different stores"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved some of the people that I worked with, loved all the volunteer work that the company does within the communities. Can have fast advancements.

Cons

Overwork employees, say that they care about work life balance but they don't and management chooses favorites. If they decide you are not beneficial to the company for whatever reason they will do anything in their power (even unethically) to get you out or force you to resign.

Advice to Management

Value employees more, give more recognition at all levels, stay true to work life balance.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Cashier in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Cashier in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of any

Cons

A very fake work environment where they provide you with no training but expect you to know everything. They push selling red cards way too much and are demeaning in the way they speak to employees. Only worked there for three weeks because it was so bad.

Advice to Management

Train your employees and quit being fake.

4. "Overall Pleasant Experience and Nice People"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Brand Team Member in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Brand Team Member in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful coworkers, a good atmosphere, people who will usually help you out when you need it. They make it clear what needs to be done, and the requests are reasonable and consistent.

Cons

The training process is not fully helpful. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing since I was only given a few minutes of training rather than the scheduled three days.

Advice to Management

I would just suggest having a little bit more cross-training in areas where some team members aren't knowledgeable. A proper amount of training and communication would help a lot.

5. "Merchandise Flow Team Member experience"

Current Employee - Team Member in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Team Member in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Team Leaders tend to be enthusiastic and open to communication from team members. A general sense of camaraderie among team members. Viewing tasks and goals as a team makes it easier to tackle a challenge/problem. I was not hesitant to ask for help if and when I needed it.

Cons

Inexperienced team leads (especially Logistics) seem to be thrown into the mix with minimal training and high pressure to meet goals. This results in stress and quick burnout for the leaders and in turn, their team members.
    Broad corporate-wide goals/rules

6. "worst job ever."

Former Employee - Cashier in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there are none. worst job experience of my life

Cons

poor management. absolutely zero training but then they treat you like you're stupid when you ask questions. no help on the job and management was very fake/would give backhanded compliments

"Abusive employer, EXPECT MORE PAY LESS applies to employees too."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member, Fitting Room Operator in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible with hours, I am required to write at least 5 words in this section and I couldn't

Cons

You are not treated like a living breathing human being. You are expected to do a monotonous, robotic job repeatedly. Retail jobs are all horrible places to work, but Target was very bad. They pay only minimum wage but expect you to know multiple job roles and do them without recognition or compensation. Many of the target stores are very large and you spend a lot of time trying to keep up with walking all over the store to do your job when you could be paid the same to work at a much smaller store and not have to run all over the place. There is not really any room to move up, you can move up one position but any higher requires a bachelors degree. Yes I said a BACHELORS degree to be a manager at Target. Seasonal times are the worst times of my life that I can remember working at anywhere. In the slow months you may only get one shift per week and it's most likely 4 hours only and you're lucky if you don't get sent home early. They base the hours they can schedule their employees off of the sales of the store as if a salesfloor rep can push sales and improve that situation. On the other hand the busiest holiday times are major hell. If you close the store you will be there until 3 AM every single night to fix the holiday shopping wreckage, even if you started your shift at say 1 PM. I can recall many times almost crying from exhaustion and not being sure that it was safe for me to drive home from it as well. It is Target's policy that you must take a 30 min break every 6 hours. I can recall numerous times where I would be forced to take a second 30 min break at 1 or 2 AM in order to allow us to stay even later and finish cleaning up the store. You are also not allowed to have less than an 8 hour block in between shifts and this was cut down right to the minute. If I closed the store one night and had to stay late but was scheduled to be in the next morning it was at exactly 8 hours from when I clocked out. Let's say I left the store at 2:23 AM, I was expected back at exactly 10:23 and was only allowed to be late on my scheduled shift if I had been there late the night before. In a bigger city travel times home and getting up and getting ready for work can cut your actual sleep time down by a lot, maybe 5 hours? That scenario also lets you in on how the scheduling goes. You NEVER have a set schedule. You submit a sheet of times when you are available to work and they "try their best" to schedule you within those times. If you don't have a large enough availability then you basically need to get another job because they just wont give you hours. The management at the store I worked at was just plain horrible and played favoritism games. You are required to have availability on at least one weekend day but some co-workers got out of it by being friends with management. Basically a job at Target is aimed at college students who will work because they have to and want something part-time.

Advice to Management

You need to get your hands dirty. Not helping your employees when you constantly encourage everyone to work as a team is just stupid and insulting. Target as a corporation should take some hints from Wal-Mart and pay their employees better. Every Target is a huge store and requiring your employees to be flexible and work multiple areas WILL be very physically tiring and should come with a pay increase. Just being cross-trained should come with a pay raise. Your policies for breaks and time between shifts are a good start but there is no human understanding. People need sleep to be healthy and that allows them to perform their job better. You should also work with employees to create shifts that they can work so they have a pattern instead of scheduling them whenever you want and you might not need a rule about 8 hours in between shifts. Figure out a better way to treat your employees for the seasonal times. Having them work 14 hours shifts is just plain abusive. You hire seasonal employees so why not hire more and split the shifts with your regular employees. REALIZE you hire HUMAN BEINGS and should treat them as so. Follow your own motto and be Fast Fun and Friendly to YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

"Loved my job, my co-workers and the company as a whole."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Processes, best practices (when followed), perks, environment, guests, and training all these were wonderful to see work together, you really saw the product of a days work, really appreciated seeing fruits of your labor.

Cons

Depends on the leadership. Really saw change after our third round of executives and store team lead. Processes were not followed, veteran employees exited by all means, semi experienced team members treated well below the respect due to them. Really had a sad past two years saying goodbye to my real leaders, mentors, and peers. All over petty drama, favoritism, and unethical behavior by children in executive positions who normally lasted about 6 months.

Advice to Management

You are losing your grip on what used to be a great company to work for. With my past experience in retail Target was by far the most effective, soundly operational of all big box. It was hard to leave the lot that day, but I join my past target greats in saying we don't need you, it was us that built you. When you see it, it will be too late.

9. "Good company, sometimes..."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Not difficult work
    Can move from one position to another relatively easy
    Pretty friendly group of people to work with.
    If you need time off for school or something, they are completely willing to work with you. What other company would allow you to take a whole semester off and when you come back your job is still waiting for you? Not many.
    Good Benefits if full-time, and part-time you start accumulating vacation after about 1000 hours of work.
    10% team member discount.

Cons

Don't really get a consistent schedule making it hard to make plans further than 2 weeks ahead. Hours are based on meeting sales, so one week you could be making 30+ and the next it could be 15-25 hrs. If you're new to the company, you likely won't get as many hours as seniors.
    Some guests are really nice, but some just come in to ruin your day, but I guess you can't really control that.
    A bit of drama between some coworkers and team leads, kind of gets annoying after awhile.
    Unless your higher up in the company Sales Floor isn't really a long term position, it's more seasonal or part-time.

Advice to Management

I would say work on making hours more reliable for people and try and fit people to a certain schedule so they know when to expect to work.
    Try to clear the air between team members, team leads, and ETLs.

Showing 9 of 29,361 reviews