Target Reviews in Laurel, MD | Glassdoor

Target Laurel Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2016

Found 7 reviews

Brian Cornell
  1. "My overall experience at Target has been fun and enjoyable."

Current Employee - Target Protection Specialist in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target excels at recognizing its employees for a job well done. Target also does an excellent job at developing talent and awarding opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Some downsides to working for Target is that raises and bonuses is indicative of overall store performance and not individual performance.

Advice to Management

My advice to the leadership at Target is to hold the employees accountable. So many problems(problem performers) are swept under the rug or just flat-out ignored.

Target2012-04-04
  2. "Executive Team Leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Target for more than 3 years

Pros

The advancement opportunities for management are endless and there is a culture around cross-training that helps with experience and leadership The team building environment gives an employee an abundance of opportunities to coach, train, teach and gain feedback for personal and professional gain

Cons

The work-life balance can be a bit unsteady especially around holidays and peak times of the year. Long hours are expected at times

Target2016-07-23

"ETL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good 401k match, salary was competitive, good experience on your resume out of college

Cons

They just see you as a number there and will get rid of you at the first sign that you aren't drinking the kool aid.

Advice to Management

Invest in your teams at a local level and stop promoting people based on a popularity contest or one good executive visit.

Target2015-07-26
  4. "Target Sucks and anyone who has pride and dignity will not work for the untrustworthy idiots they employ!"

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can do the job with your EYES closed and one hand behind your back!

Cons

It sucks all around! Not the place for anyone with ANY Leadership experience! That should be ENOUGH!

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and stop being intimidated by people with non Target and other experiences.

Target2012-10-20
  5. "Its freaking better iwth respect than any other job except self employed"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Target

Pros

^ well i just stated above

Cons

They can be full of it but not as bad as all other places really not bad

Advice to Management

Just listen to people more thats all really listen and just listen alot and take consideration and don't forget some people are good at gettting high up numbers so be careful because every store isn't as good as 1007!

Target2011-02-12

"Target Team Member"

Former Employee - Target Team Member in Laurel, MD

I worked at Target

Pros

I liked working at Target because the money was good and the work was good.

Cons

Working at Christmas was exhausting.

Advice to Management

Please make it easier to get rid of bad employees, so they don't bring the whole team down.

Target2010-10-28

"Target offers great pay, but it will consume your life"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Target

Pros

The pay is very good starting salary in comparison to other jobs fresh out of college. Target does develop you as a leader, and I believe I have grown in the time I have been there. If you work hard there is a lot of room for advancement, but only after 18-24 months.

Cons

If your store has opportunities expect to be working more of a 60 hour work week. Lots of college grads are picked up by Target but very few last. Target slaves their Executives because they do not give enough hourly payroll to run the business well. Leadership is inconsistent and the messages keep changing. In the end, it is good money, but there is no work-life-balance.

Advice to Management

Set expectation clearly to new Executives. When I was brought on I thought I was going to be doing one job, but ended up being manager on duty more than the job I enjoy doing. Running at a such a low Executive head count does not allow the specialty ETLs to do their job because they are worried about running the building.

Target2009-09-29