Target Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1576 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1680 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Four wonderful years."

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Going in at twenty I didn’t expect to work at Target for an extended period of time. What followed were the four best years of my professional career. You not only get to work with a wonderful team, but you get the chance to prove yourself. A lot of promotions are done in-house.

Cons

There is only one true con that I can think of, and that is none other than the terrible red and khaki color combination.

Advice to Management

Don’t forget to take care of your team.

2. "It is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good job. People are friendly.

Cons

You will meet a different kind of people. I loved it.

3. "gstl"

Current Employee - GSTL in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - GSTL in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good enviroment; amazing team; schedule

Cons

pay; changes; managment; comunication; money

4. "Logistics Team Member"

Former Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, Good part time job for students

Cons

Low Pay, apathetic HR and coworkers

5. "Target is a great starting job."

Current Employee - Electronics Plus Mobile Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Plus Mobile Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the better retailers in terms of caring for there employees.

Cons

Hours are based on sales.

6. "Always changing Company"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Feedback oriented company
    -Utilizing technology to revamp supply chain to stay competitive in industry
    -Interviews for manager positions are extremely tough and I wouldn't want it any other way. They hire the best talent around to manage their stores

Cons

-Schedules for retail in general are awful

"Poor hiring strategy for ETLs"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader- GE in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader- GE in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good pay and benefits
    - Good experience if you want to go into retail

Cons

- Disorganized training
    - Unsupportive team members and team leaders
    - Essentially once your team leader decides they don't like you, you might as well quit

Advice to Management

Don't hire people without retail experience and get upset at the learning curve for a retail job.

"ETL HR"

Former Employee - ETL Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ETL Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-ETL HR assignment is the most rewarding and interesting out of all of them.
    -Good way to get your foot in the door and learn transferable HR skills
    -PAY: Annual Raises + Base Pay Increase can be amazing, especially if you perform well.
    -Good management experience. Once you're an ETL, you can do any job in retail.
    -Team Culture - Young, social atmosphere, very fun in store
    -Growth - It's typical to see promotion to BP or STL in 4-5 years $$$

Cons

-Work Life Balance - Working Thanksgiving, Christmas, Rotating Weekends.
    -Work Life Balance - Suggested 10 hour days. No one leaves at 10 hours. It's sad.
    -STL and/or DTL can make or break your experience. Not me, but I've seen it happen.
    -Stores are not supported with enough payroll.
    -Gotta be open to change/failing: Roll outs/launches are not always well planned.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great team culture. Suggestions: Fix the work life balance. Who really wants to work 10 hour days and LOD shifts? GVPs/HRDs should make sure DTLs/STLs are (1) promoting people based on performance and (2) not making promises they can't keep to ETLs. My DTL/STL were good to me but I know some bad ones out there.

9. "Guest service team leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork,flexible scheduling for college students, fun atmosphere, volunteer in community, trading shifts with peers

Cons

Hard work, ever changing policies, work life balance issues, lack of support to move upward

10. "Not worth your life"

Former Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, I'm afraid. The team members you befriend ultimately have nothing to do with the actual job, and should not be counted.

Cons

Where to start?
    -Management is unreasonable at the best of times. For the most part, they come down hard on the team members while refusing to rework management (ie: "clearly it's the lazy team members and not MY management skills that need work!")

-Opportunities are non-existent. Management will offer lead positions, get halfway through the process, then avoid you, transfer to another store, or quit in the meantime...without updating current management on the status of any promotions. Multiple TM's have admitted to spending 6-8 months in limbo before they were able to be promoted--and most of that was waiting for another lead to get sick of things and quit.

-In fact, any interest in moving up is met with a very negative attitude. Multiple TM's--including myself--have approached management about moving up and get the same response of, "I don't know you. You don't work in my section. What makes you think you deserve a lead position there? You think you can just cut in line of all the other people who want that position?" It's a completely toxic work environment that is and will be a revolving door for team members. It's a stop on the way to something better, and is almost impossible to make a career out of if you start at the bottom.

-No hours. HR will constantly hire new people, despite every section being starved for hours. If you want a job that will actually pay your bills, look elsewhere. Target operates as an after school job for teens at best.

-No justice. Multiple women I've worked with have tried pushing through sexual harassment complaints, yet are still forced to work alongside or close to the person who did it. This ranges from men talking about TM's in sexual positions, TM's getting grabbed at or cornered in hallways, or outright kissing us without consent. Not once have I heard a soul get in trouble for this. If anything, I have heard a couple get transferred to another store where they're free to continue their harassment. Meanwhile, the women who are targeted are forced to transfer themselves, or find another job that will actually protect them.

-AP is absolutely useless; I say this with as much malice that can be conveyed through simple text. AP does not help catch shoplifters. AP watches from either the front, or from another location (presumably one that resembles every surveillance room in any movie, ever). They usually go through the sections and un-merch-protect things that are known to be stolen. I don't know what AP's job actually entails, but I speculate it's something close to cops and their ticket quotas. Most days, you see the undercover AP guys playing 007, back to the wall, walkie in hand, and pretending to be doing something more important than busting as 16 year old steal a Popsocket and a CD.

On multiple occasions, guests have physically assaulted TM's by grabbing wrists, come onto TM's by touching hair and feeling them up, verbally assaulting TM's with threats that they were going to physically assault us--all of which I have experienced, personally, within the past month--and AP will guest service them as if they are the richest man on earth. Worse, still, we will call in dangerous individuals and AP will watch from afar, only to clue us in after they leave that "Sorry, AP didn't intervene because he had a knife." Or "Sorry, I knew that guy had something under his shirt, but I was waiting to see what he would do, I didn't think he would destroy $2000 worth of property then run out the emergency exit." Recently, a guest walked up to a team member and let him know that he was going to come in and stab a cashier. True to his word, he walked in last week, held a TM hostage at knife-point, and started a police stand off.

Truly, this location was anarchy at its worse. Every day coming into work felt like The Purge where there are no rules and no one bothers to stop you if you break the law or help anyone caught in the crossfire.

Advice to Management

Get better people. Make management spend a week every 3 months in a team member's position--without revealing to guests that they are management. So many of them forget what it's like to actually work hard that they get attitudes against the people who, essentially, run their store.

Completely overhaul AP. Get guard stations in high-risk areas, instead of blaming the team members for not catching theft. Asset protection is literally their title. Stop blaming 18-24 year olds (especially women!) for not "busting" all the shoplifters.

Stop guest-servicing the shoplifters and the violent people who come in. At no point should we be risking our lives for a lackluster part-time minimum wage job. At no point should the women who work at your stores feel that they are not listened to about the dangers, or not protected from them.

Stop blaming the TM's about store loss when the store barely has one AP officer on the job at any given time. A classic tactic shoplifters use is having one man distract while the other ransacks the carts...having only one person protecting the entire store is impossible. Target is like, a billion dollar company. Surely they can afford better people to protect the store and the TM's--at the very least good enough to avoid loss and lawsuits.

Showing 246 of 29,363 reviews