Target Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours can impact work life balance (in 1417 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1503 reviews)

1. "Great company with great values"

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They work on your personal development and making great leaders. They foster an inclusive culture and have good routines around team building

Cons

There really isn't any cons to Target. Retail is a stressful environment and Target does a great job of trying to make it less stressful

2. "Cashier at Target"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours if you are looking for part time work, great people, great management

Cons

No full time hours if you're looking for a 9 to 5 job.

Advice to Management

Managers know their craft I have no complaints

3. "loader/unloader"

Former Employee - Loader/Unloader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loader/Unloader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

fast pace work good teamwork very cheallenging

Cons

not enough hours low pay wages

4. "Salesfloor team member"

Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Availability and time management that helps students

Cons

Not enough working hours for the members

"Executive Team Leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is going to be the review you'll want to read to get the real Overview of the PRO vs. CON of the ETL position.

Good salary strait out of college.

(In CA) You start at 57K. Trust me it's good compared to a lot of places. Plus they match 6% on 401K.

Resume builder

It's a nationally recognizable company. You will get experience here that can lead you to positions in management, sales, or training (HR position can lead to HR jobs) with other companies

Personal growth and development:

Target culture can lead you to develop yourself and achieve great things. You'll grow up a lot in this position and if you have the right STL/DTL you will develop as a professional.

You may get to work with great people

Depending on the store, culture, and leadership... you may get to know some amazing people! They will become drinking buddies and party with you on the weekends (#RetailTherapy)

Cons

Work life balance is hard

Especially if you don't want to work weekends, nights, and holidays (its retail regardless of how high up you are) (if you're coming strait out of college you may envy your friends in 9-5 jobs... because you are working LONG HOURS during non typical times). Also you are on salary so you're free payroll (meaning you'll work 12 hour days and not get paid a penny more... especially when it's time to cut hourly payroll.)

Lots of time doing low end work

You will spend about 50% or more in this position doing base work. Meaning folding laundry. Pushing merchandise to the floor. Cashiering. So on and so forth.

The experience isn't as good as you may think

If you decide to leave after building your resume you will generally get offers for sales positions and MAYBE some okay management position offers.

Long term employment looks grim

The modern day economy is changing and online orders are taking over (Amazon cough cough Amazon). So long term Job stability doesn't look great. Especially since Target is making changes to get rid of ETLs to save on company expenses.

6. "Executive Team Leader"

Former Employee - ETL in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ETL in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible development opportunities, flexible hours, great experience, good pay

Cons

retail hours(flexible, but must work late nights, long days, etc), expect incredibly hard work from ETL's

7. "A "Good FOR NOW job""

Former Employee - Front Lanes Cashier in Granada Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Front Lanes Cashier in Granada Hills, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good co-workers. If you're a young student or just somebody that wants to put a few bucks in your pocket, this is a good job FOR NOW. Don't get comfortable.

Cons

INSULTING annual raises (avg. 6 cents). I know people that have been there for 20+ years and make less than a new In-n-Out employee. When I was there, Target was always looking a ways to cut the fat. One of them was giving all their employees only 4 hours shifts. Another was not having full time employees so they don't have to offer insurance. Family friendly, but not family oriented.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are people with families to support and bills to pay. Pay them fairly.

8. ""OK" for students"

Former Employee - Target Cashier in La Verne, CA
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in La Verne, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great working in a corporate structure where they actually adhere to their policies, they'll work around your school schedule, and you get 5-10% off at any target.

Cons

Guest interaction can be extremely draining, the pressure to get people to sign up for redcards is the reason why most cashiers go, the redcards goals are very unrealistic and they don't offer enough incentive to convince people to sign up.

Advice to Management

Remove redcard goals from cashiers and let them do their job by providing a unique guest experience and connection without trying to sell them something. Redcard incentives are also inadequate, guests get remarkably better perks with other credit cards that trump the redcard's 5%, free shipping, and extra 30 days on returns.

9. "Your typical exploitation"

Former Employee - GSA in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - GSA in Glendale, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally liked most of my coworkers, but most importantly I love helping customers. A number of "team members" like to think of themselves as the "Target police" and are always looking for a reason to say no. I jumped at the chance to help in any way, and seeing the gratitude on people's faces when you accept their open VCR return or help find the right gift for their nephew is everything.

Cons

Of course, many customers are rude or are completely inattentive to your being an actual human being, not a self-checkout computer. And the pay is minimum wage or not much higher. But that's all typical for working in retail. What made me desperate to find other work was seeing HR and upper management hold many of us who sought promotions down for the smallest of reasons in spite of everything they "loved" about us. All while they brought in external hires to lead us, and then put those managers' training on us, the ones they didn't feel good about promoting. And then those external hires would eventually leave or not work out, and the cycle would repeat.

Advice to Management

Don't put more weight in "flaws" than the great things you see in your team members who have worked there for years, starting in the back room and made their way up to assistant managers or whatnot.

10. "Great Place to work at but make sure they don't over work you."

Former Employee - Team Member in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Management is Great
    -Holiday Pay
    -Store Discount

Cons

-Had me working night shifts one week and day shifts the next.

Advice to Management

Get better at scheduling?

Showing 825 of 24,762 reviews