Target Reviews in Melbourne | Glassdoor

1.6
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life Balance (Weekends & minimum 10 hours daily on your feet)" (in 1622 reviews)

• "The company is going through some changes in the clothing part of the store that were constantly changing without team members being informed quickly" (in 1720 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great team members
    - good retail experience
    - easy tasks
    - makes you look good saying you worked at a big company like Target
    - uniform is nice
    - discounts at all coles group stores (target, coles, office works, etc.)
    - flexible hours
    - fun tasks
    - fun events and campaigns
    - team celebrations/events (christmas parties and Kris Kringle, New Years parties, birthday lunches and deserts left in the tea room, etc.)

Cons

- pay is low compared to other retail places
    - retail experience is limited to covering department store retail, not fashion/boutique retail
    - some (SOME) managers can be a pain
    - sometimes gives you too many or too little hours

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It'd be nice if you could build a friendship with us rather than keep that barrier of superior-subordinate though.

2. "Terible."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount was 5%. (It was terrible).

Cons

No good things.
    The most disorganised company in all of Australia. To managers reading this take a few tips.
    I am a former employee of Target Pty Ltd. I was hired in May, 2018 and resigned in October, 2018 for a multitude of reasons.
    From the moment I started my employment I quickly recognised a lot of inefficiencies and shortcomings of the company. They are as follows:

First of all, no proper training given to new employees (except in the instance of when you are place in assisted checkouts). New employees are supposed to learn on the go which makes it very challenging given the size of store, variety of products and ambiguous nature that comes with starting at a new workplace. Furthermore, existing employees were buddied up with new employees to 'teach them'. The problem I found was that existing employees were also unaware of formal procedures and processes; a great analogy of this would be "the blind leading the blind" in that wrong information was being passed on to a fresh batch of employees. It adds to the problem, it does not fix it.
    Second, the mangers fail at their jobs of managing and leading their employees. They do not know how to properly allocate their resources (time, attention, budgets and employees) to complete tasks in the most efficient and effective way. A clear example of this is having as little as 5 people on the shop floor dealing with customer service and enquiries and looking after multiple departments while, at the same time, there are 8 people at the back in receiving, 4 of which are splitting and unboxing 8 pallets in 5 hours! A single pallet can be done in 15 - 20 minutes depending on the contents that are stacked on it. Clearly a poor job of asset allocation.
    A continuation of my second point; the managers would often eliminate the shifts of workers, in particular the older workforce would receive minimal hours (I myself got as little as 10-12 hours a week which is not sustainable enough) in favour of the young workers; under 18s who received $13 - $15 an hour to cut back on costs. It plummeted motivation and organisational advocacy. Workers would make the effort to volunteer to work extra shifts as managers would send out emails asking for more staff needed only to find out last minute that shifts have been cancelled due to 'budget restraints'. The inconvenience this placed on a lot of employees who went out of their way to make time and cancel their plans for the sake of the organisation was appalling.
    Third, the way managers would treat employees, in particular, the younger workforce, was borderline bully-ing. Managers did not speak to the younger workers as equal co-workers or co-workers in general. Instead they treated them like kids.
    Fourth. There was no open door policy. Employees were afraid or tired of trying to talk to the managers with regards to any of their concerns. A clear example of this is the resignation of 9 employees within 1 week. A high turnover of staff generally means that there is something wrong with the immediate working environment.
    Fifth. TOO MANY CHANGES. In the span of my employment (May - October, 2018) 2 store managers had come and gone with the 3rd one leaving 4 weeks after I resigned. The ambiguous nature present within the company due to the lack of formal policies and procedures sticking meant that several uniform changes were also made which was maddening.
    Lastly, my sixth point. There exists a very obvious workplace grapevine where a lot of people's opinions and dislike and gossip is circulated. The immaturity of the employees that worked there made me not want to interact with any of my team members. Managers also openly expressed their dislike or frustration of certain employees and were known to purposefully reduce their hours of work.

Overall, the store does not reflect the entirety of the company, however, HR did nothing to rectify situations which speaks volumes. The horror I witnessed was just unbearable for me to stay as an employee.

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience with Target and may not constitute the reality of the organisation as a whole. My experience with the store that I worked at was terrible and unbiased. I have worked in the retail environment since I was 16 and I have experience better days at other employers. Finally, I do not wish to deter anyone from applying at Target in the future.

Advice to Management

Get better managers and independently review each store nation wide.

3. "Customer Service Assistant"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy going, zero take-home work.

Cons

Lack of benefits and career progression.

Advice to Management

Management shouldn't take the credit of hard work done by staff members.

4. "Ok"

Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount card is good. The company is only looking for 15 year olds now to employ so if you are 15 and cheap to pay they will employ you.

Cons

Cutting hours, casuals will only get 3 hour shifts so they don't have to give them a tea break. Unless you want to go into management there is not much of a chance as having a career. Online shopping is the future

Advice to Management

Try and value more the loyal mature workers who have a world of knowledge and experience and recognise them as an asset to the company that can help train and shape young people.

5. "In the Target Warehouse employees are treated like disposable tissues"

Current Contractor - Warehouse Worker in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Warehouse Worker in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing much to talk about - so dis-organised you get random amounts of overtime and days off mid-week

Cons

- they don't know what they need so they are always firing people as quick as they are hiring people.
    - Treat people like rubbish, no job security and little respect for people

Advice to Management

- plan your business and workload
    - be open to change and improvement
    - people need job security, you will be rewarded by your team when you can provide it

6. "assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

great staff to work with expect for management

Cons

under staffed, lot of pressure, customers get angry for no staff and having to wait,

7. "Lovely store, awful management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make great friends, busy, good products

Cons

Management lies and is uncaring. Management doesn't care about customers or employees!

Advice to Management

Treat people like equals, and how you want to be treated.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really laid back, most of the management is pretty relaxed and we can get away with a lot. Often doesn't feel like a job at all. Love working with the rest of the team.

Cons

Unpredictable shifts if you're a casual, management is continuously changing and store managers are transferred every month or so, if the store doesn't make budget our shifts are cancelled or cut. Can be hard to get time off.

"Meh"

Current Intern - Customer Service Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Intern - Customer Service Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Target as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent wage for the level of monotonous work with little effort required.

Cons

- Management rarely shows up to deal with angry customers when called. They will communicate over the hand phones to avoid dealing with the problem directly.
    - They will purposely split the shifts in a way to avoid giving you a meal break.
    - They often keep you back 10mins after work, so they don't have to pay you for 15mins overtime.
    - Uninspiring attitude among most workers as it is only a temporary job for them.

10. "It isn't too bad as a casual position."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Good place to meet people and build customer service skills.

Cons

Retail industry is in a hole. Lower management is very underpaid and not worth it. Opportunity to get more shifts if you're casual.

Advice to Management

Need to be reasonable. Answer questions, don't just put people down for not knowing certain things. Listen to ideas and actually think about the good ones. Listen to staff who work in specific areas regularly (who can know a lot more than higher level managers about that specific area).

Showing 11 of 30,551 reviews