Target Reviews in Nashville, TN | Glassdoor

3.4
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1608 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1704 reviews)

1. "Diverse, fast-paced work environment, fun!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Emphasis on diversity & respect, fast-paced, lots of opportunities to grow & advance, honest employee review process, huge corporation means it's easy to transfer across large distances, managers encouraged to make the work days fun for staff, staff appreciated & shown with many treats, prizes, meals, etc.

Cons

Long hours, reduced staff in many locations has lead to more responsibility on each employee, lots of red tape, extremely corporate environment.

Advice to Management

Hire and schedule as many employees as you can get away with according to metrics. Stores with more staff make more money! Remember to value your employees, especially those doing more than their fair share of the work. Step up and particulate, lend a hand when you see departments struggling to complete tasks. Lead by example.

2. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

it was a friendly place to work

Cons

it could be overwhelming at times

3. "Cart Attendant"

Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have great management at my location, so that makes it worth it. I know it's not that way everywhere, but personally I've loved my time at Target. 10% employee discount, plus a 5% redcard discount, can add up to some decent savings.

Cons

I'm a cart attendant so I do all the stuff no one else wants to do(bathrooms, trash, carts). But it's still not that bad.

Advice to Management

Keep doin' what ya doin' Brandon!

4. "Great Company, not the best management"

Former Employee - Starbucks Team Leader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Starbucks Team Leader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for full time employees and matching retirement contributions, up to 5%. Paid vacations and flexibility in applying hours up to your weekly average.

Great coworkers and amazing store teams, district and company management can be out of touch, but my day to day coworkers were amazing!
    Great products and overall very supportive. You will have so much food, if you have an awesome STL! Seasonal changes can be stressful, but at its core it's an easy job.
    Schedules can be very flexible at lower levels in the store, it becomes a bit more restrictive at higher levels.

Overall, I really loved my time at Target and I became a much stronger leader. The training and protocols can seem redundant, however, it's all in an attempt to maintain uniform compliance within the company.
    Great volunteer and community outreach culture. Also, awesome team building activities for TLs and ETLs.

Cons

Hires recent college graduates as executive team leaders when they have talented people who have college degrees and experience/commitment to the company and core values who they fail to promote.
    Lower level pay is okay, but not in line with the level of devotion ETLs and STL expects.
    Starbucks Team can't accept tips and pay does not compensate. As a barista working for any other company pay is similar, around $8 an hour and tips average $15 an hour - sometimes less around $5, but usually up to $20 for most shifts.
    Poor raises, at my current position a poor raise is $.25 and I usually get at minimum an $1.00 hour yearly raise. Target assigns raises based on yearly reviews at a percentage and sometimes that's as low as $.10 for the entire year.

Advice to Management

Promote your talent within the company, and do so in a timely manner. Don't hire your Executive Team Leaders primary from college recruiters. While colleges are excellent sources of young new talent for your company, a recent graduate with no prior work experience is no where near as valuable to your stores as a team member who already works for you and has a BA or BS degree. The educated employees you already have meet the minimum requirements for your executive store positions, but are put through more rigorous and lengthy vetting than recruited new hires. However, if you take into account the current employee's dedication to your company and it's core values, on the floor knowledge, and understanding of store operations you would save hundreds of thousands of dollars that are wasted on training college graduates, who then leave your company after gaining a couple of years work experience. It was very frustrating having to train my ETLs or trying to get them to understand how things actually worked at the team member level.

"Not a bad gig"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule
    Coworkers are great, good work environment

Cons

Management is extremely disorganized and do not communicate with each other or with their team members

6. "Ok for students"

Former Employee - POG Team Member in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - POG Team Member in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make some great friends.

Cons

you only get hours during peak seasons, (Christmas, Thanksgiving and super sales), after that you can barely get 25 hours a week. they give you write ups if you fail to take your breaks/lunches on time.

7. "Hardlines"

Former Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers. You get to work on your own for the most part without someone standing over your shoulder.

Cons

So many tasks were given to us that we could never actually do the job we were assigned when employed.

Advice to Management

Be more organized and understand what is going on in your store.

8. "Management"

Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the managers are a pleasure to work with and mostly the employees are nice people to work with

Cons

The culture is generally terrible and the majority of management are just random people who don't actually understand the ins and outs of their own business

Advice to Management

Find a way to reduce the toxic-ness of the culture most of the time at target is made unbearable by the general tone of the work place

9. "Target"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandise Brand Team Member in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandise Brand Team Member in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Target you do learn a lot but thats only if you are willing to learn. Cross training is a plus so you don't have to stay in one area a lot.

Cons

1.The pay raise is nothing to be happy about. Ive been there 6+ years and still make the minimum.
    2. Team morale will depending on your Executives, meaning the team can work hard and still not feel appreciated by the Executives.

Advice to Management

Team morale is EVERYTHING! Please learn how to appreciate us, we work hard to make sure we meets sales and Red Card goals each week. Also don't forget about the people who work overnight (3rd shift) You think working dayside is difficult, try stocking overnight.

"Ups and Way Downs!!"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Nashville, TN

Pros

Decent pay, friendly staff, Seasonal changes are fun.

Cons

Company filled with poor decision makers. Trying to fast track executive makes for poor management in stores. No life balance. No advancement chance for hourly to management.

Advice to Management

Build a viable core of team members and management and rotate smaller amount of new team in and out. You philosophy of opening new stores with all new staff has never worked.
    Stop creating "programs" and let your in store teams run their stores. Payroll will fall in line. I have been in stores where this has worked and the moral was so much better.

Showing 44 of 30,186 reviews