Target Reviews in North Dakota | Glassdoor

2.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1582 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1685 reviews)

1. "Overnight"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Fargo, ND

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork! Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Overnight hours are tough on the mind and body.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Ok college job"

Former Employee - Sales Floor in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Floor in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, great culture, fun

Cons

Poor scheduling, poor pay, could listen to employees better

Advice to Management

More flexible with scheduling

3. "Backroom is alright"

Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is always work to do

Cons

If you get behind you can get yelled at even if it is out of your control

Advice to Management

A little bit of compassion and help goes along ways

4. "Okay JOB"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minot, ND

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work with your schedule and pay is good

Cons

A lot of lazy employees most of them still in high school or college. Management have favoritism.

"Done with Target - Will No Longer Even Shop at Targets"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Higher pay than most retail establishments. Almost a guaranteed job with Target, as the turnover rate is unbelievably high. Full time positions available, which is rare in retail.

Cons

No benefits for seasonal hires until 168 days are up, and hired on permanently.
    Very immature and mean atmosphere among soft-line team (I use that word very lightly) members if you are not same age and have same interests. Very little training, starting with the orientation. Put on sales floor alone the first week, not shown anything, and then berated for not being fast enough right away. Very unhealthy (mental and physical) work environment even though it was proudly stressed at hire-on that Target cares about team member's well-being. Dirty store, and the break room was always so filthy that I would not even consider letting my cat eat in it, let alone me. Too much expected from a human being for what is realistically accomplishable during a shift. Eight hour shifts are waaay too long for a retail position. Management is either too heavy handed with barking orders, or too wrapped up in gossip circles. No middle ground. Basically, if you do not mind a work camp environment; working with mean spirited (mostly) team members; and being just an employee number to Target, then...apply.

Advice to Management

Care.

6. "Cake Decorator."

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Fargo, ND

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are flexible. And a 10 percent discount as long as you use their Red card or cash. Otherwise forget it.

Cons

The worst experience in my life. You start the day in the freezer and the putting bakery goods on the tables as well as random spots around the store to inspire impulse buying. Then back into the freezer to scan and put away items. During training the manager and other employees pressure you to be faster even the first time you do it. Everything has different shelf dates and multiple locations. Expected to be fast and proficient from day one. And after you set up it is time for a break after coming back you have one hour to fill 300 plus cupcakes box date and place in freezer. Then lunch set up after lunch and expected to fill cake orders in one hour and do back stock that takes up most of the freezer. Then another break clean up 45 minutes and leave all this with manager and other employees criticizing you on an hourly basis. Do this but faster and now. There is also two or three managers to one person and they stand around talking most of the time.

Advice to Management

Enforce safety laws you have such as slip resistant shoes and more than step ladders to climb up to get backroom stock. Have your managers do more than act like prisoner guards the few employees that can tolerate the sweat shops you run. And one more thing. get rid of the Red Card quotas and as a customer I am sick of being asked. As far as I'm concerned the credit scandal you found yourself in proves that you should stop pressuring both customer and employee to stop petting your crap.

"Employee Team Member"

Former Employee - Target Cashier in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in Fargo, ND

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, nice employees to work with and the pay was okay. I got $10.50/hr for starting there as a cashier.

Cons

If you're pregnant they don't let you sit on a stool (even with swollen legs and feet) unless you have a doctors note stating that you have to be allowed to sit. At the time I was working two part time jobs and the stool was taken away from me. And I got "in trouble" for using it when I was tired of standing and it hurt to stand.

Advice to Management

Allow pregnant women to sit without a doctors note. It seems ridiculous to me that you need to have a doctors note to just take a break every now and then on a stool. We stand back up when customers walk over to us. Some people don't have good insurance to just go back into the doctor's office just to get a note for their work place.

8. "Great Job!"

Current Employee - Flow Team - Early Morning in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Flow Team - Early Morning in Minot, ND

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team that I am a part of is wonderful and a lot of fun. The work is active and fulfulling; there are not usually dull days. The pay is also pretty good.

Cons

The job does not have a stable amount of hours during certain times of the year, which can make things difficult at times.

Advice to Management

No advice.

9. "It's a fun place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Minot, ND

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of friends, also many new people to meet! Can be fun as long as your work gets done by the end.

Cons

The leadership and higher-up people can be immature. You almost have to get on their good side or stay out of the picture.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and speak to team members in a fair, kind way

10. "Meh"

Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work isn't difficult to do.
    Opportunities to learn new things are always available.

Cons

Management lacks managing skills. Talking to them about anything leads no where.

Advice to Management

Actually listen when your employees tell you about problems. Don't just smile and nod. When you see things aren't being done right...fix it. Instead of away.

Showing 35 of 29,385 reviews