Target Reviews in Overland Park, KS | Glassdoor

Overland Park, KS

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Target Sales floor team member"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment with great leadership.

Cons

Scheduling was not easy in the first few weeks.

2. "Logistics Team Leader"

Former Employee - Logistics Team Member in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Logistics Team Member in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great advancement opportunities, no max on pay, you can earn up to 6 weeks of vacation over time, flexible schedule

Cons

They treat employees bad, they treat managers really bad, get yelled at and chewed out all the time, they encourage you to clock out and go back to work to accomplish unrealistic expections, work life balance if you are salary, work 80 hours a week. Very stressful and hostile and unprofessional work environment. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Advice to Management

Stop with unrealistic expectations and try to make work fun, I dreaded going to work everyday, put ETL in that has manager experience and not a 21 year immature kid. This is causing favoritism and putting the wrong people in management and making good productive team members and team leaders quit

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - casheri in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - casheri in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment. Great high school/college job.

Cons

Retail is not for everyone.

"Treated unfair"

Former Employee - Price Accuracy Team Member in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Price Accuracy Team Member in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None what so ever. Never have I been discriminated against so much by a company. They got mad at me also because they hired me for a completely different position and tried to make me do another position because they were short. I inquired about it but I guess you're not supposed to ask questions because apparently they don't value their employees.

Cons

I was let go for asking to be trained. The team lead that was supposed to be hands on training me immediately seemed to not like me. My assumption is she was racist or jealous that I had a college degree. Whatever the reason she left me hanging on the floor my first day with nothing to do and no direction. Then when I brought it up to hr she falsely accused me of having a horrible attitude with her but I never even got the chance to speak to her or work around her. Hr did not investigate they just took her word for it.

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees the same. HR is meant to be the balance between the employer and employees. That's not possible when your whole team is one sided and cover for one another.

5. "District Team Leader"

Former Employee - District Team Leader in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - District Team Leader in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Brand and Quality Leaders throughout the Company. A lot of upward potential for driven and successful leaders.

Cons

Workload can be exhaustive.

6. "Bad choice to work for Target"

Current Employee - Cashier in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only up side to working at Target is that you can combine your discount with Cartwheel / mobile coupons, manufacturer coupons and red card if you have one.

Cons

I started working for Target as a cashier prior to Christmas and right away regretted my decision to work here. There is no REAL training, they just stick you with a person and assume you'll make it. My first day I had to go out of my way to get people to help me with anything and I didn't even get my last break. Supplies were never kept up in our drawers which made it very difficult to get through customer transactions quickly. The registers are INCREDIBLY slow and NEEEVER work correctly which is extremely frustrating. I thought it would get better after the holidays but it never did. My front end management is less than helpful, there is next to 0 communication and they only really recognize / acknowledge you if you get customers ("guests" - also really annoying you get looked down on if you call them customers) to sign up for red cards (debit/credit.) My GSAs / GSTLs are very stuck up, they don't care to talk to you unless it's beneficial for them and they always have an "I don't care" / "I'm better than you" look on their faces. I've tried to train in other areas after voicing my request to switch departments and nothing has been done. I've also noticed other people asking to switch to a different department and they have the same problem. I helped softlines (which isn't what I wanted to switch to, they stuck me there because they were short staffed) a handful of times and was scheduled there once and was expected to know everything so when the LOD came and asked me questions and I told him I didn't know (I didn't come in at the same time as others either) he was surprised and said he didn't know why he scheduled me there if I don't know what I'm doing. Which leads back to me saying there is no REAL training. All I had ever done was -help- before, I wasn't really taught anything.
    The break room is disgusting, no one picks up after themselves (which also led to the store manager -banning- all drinks on the sales floor) and I would rather use the restroom sinks than the one provided in the break room. Not to mention the crappy sand paper paper towels.
    I would really like to know where the money goes since their merchandise is more expensive than Walmart, yet what they provide the employees & customers is less. Needless to say I don't enjoy working there and don't recommend it to anyone. On top of all of this, the hours are terrible, some weeks they only schedule you one day (maybe two if you're lucky) for the entire week so the hourly wage is decent but it means nothing if you aren't scheduled. I've been there almost a year and I'm currently looking for part time work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Make sure your equals / leaders are willing to help the rest of the employees and are there for more than just money. If they don't care about their job then neither will anyone else.

7. "Over All, a Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Target Cashier in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Target Cashier in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They started me out at 10 an hr which around here is o.k. The training was pretty good. They really push you to sell the red card, but that's in your job description so you have to do it. What I have found is that if they are coupon clippers they want the card if they don't have it already. If they don't want it it's hard to talk them into it. You do the best you can. My fellow co-workers are really nice and I enjoy them. The customers are really great, too.

Cons

Sometimes they are a little slow on giving breaks and if you aren't in the best physical shape it can be a real challenge.

Advice to Management

If you want the cashiers to sell red cards then you really need to gives them sales training and show them the tools to close a sale in very little times. That would go along way in getting you what you want.

8. "Great company, not great pay"

Current Employee - Signing Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Signing Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my bosses at the store I work. They all work hard and reward other employees who work hard also. There are many different areas in the store a person can work and if you work hard the job can eventually turn into a decent career.

Cons

The starting pay of any position is not great. Only two positions (Senior Team Leader, Executive Team Leader) are salaried positions, and they are both worked very hard by corporate. Otherwise team leaders make at the most $15-20 per hour. And it can take a couple years to advance to that position.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for the management at my store.

9. "Human Resources Executive Team Leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with a great group of like minded people. The pay and benefits are great. You are constantly learning new things as the environment is constantly changing.

Cons

Its hard to maintain a work/life balance during the holidays.

Advice to Management

This year we paid more for TMs willing to work on Holidays. Have pay incentives across the board for those days for all employees.

"It screws good people up and poor management"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch and breaks, 10 percent off merchandise. Macro management on team members.

Cons

Poor management, high expectation, intense work load, and low internal promotion. Turn over rate is ridiculously high, constantly hiring and firing. Never seems to able to move up. It's all about who can talk and who looks good. The real talented people leave job as soon as they find that out.

Advice to Management

Upper management basically is a joke. Recommend the company not to look for people right off college but really give opportunity to internal promotion and people who can really manage.

Showing 25 of 25,728 reviews