Target Part Time Retail Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2018

Part Time Retail Sales

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a large focus on work/life balance that is very appreciated (in 895 reviews)

• If the team members can't come up with an answer they are more than willing to seek out the answer via manager or other sources (in 1776 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance is an opportunity (in 1500 reviews)

• compensation for existing team members being outpaced by newer (in 1594 reviews)

1. "Hardlines"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target is more than a team its more like family u learn from each other and grow

Cons

Target dont give u enough hrs

Advice to Management

Im a team player and a fast learner u would love to have me apart of ya team

2. "Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alameda, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is ok, coworkers are cooperative and nice to each other

Cons

Unprofessional management, do not even understand the basics of proper communication. understaffed most of the time and you're expected to do 2 or 3 employees load of work

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Elgin, IL

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Good Hours
    Good environment

Cons

The Training is done by other associates so it is more of a learn as you go , and if you don't ask questions you will have to learn by mistakes.

4. "Good starting job!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

They will schedule around school hours.
    Lenient on schedule changes.
    Most co-workers were fun to work with.

Cons

Not enough hours when you have the time available.

5. "Great Retail Environment"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Rockford, IL

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule (depending on position)
    Pretty good entry level benefits

Cons

Management is not proactive about developing employees. I originally took this on as a part time holiday job to make some extra cash on top of my full time job. After realizing how much I loved the company and team I worked with, I decided I was interested in pursuing an upper level position here. After expressing this desire, I was not taken seriously, in spite of my extensive retail and management experience. Had to constantly follow up with management, yet still was treated as if I was an entry level employee fresh out of high school with no experience. Had multiple positions I was qualified for at other stores, but they wanted me to wait a year or two before they would "recommend" me for the position.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent you have and actively develop and promote. Stop being so afraid of losing talent inside your entry level positions. If you don't recognize and promote them, they'll leave anyways.

6. "Basic retail job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to start working for. You get a 10% team member discount. I got longer breaks and lunches that were required by the state. I worked at 2 separated stores, one in Arizona and one in California. The transfer was done internally and was easy.

Cons

The discount only works with cash or the Red Card, which is pushed very heavily, which I did not like doing. Working at two different stores gives you perspective, but the team leads and upper management at the CA store were very young and at times did not seem to know what they were doing. When something went awry, they made it seem like it was the cashier or sales team members; which in most of the cases I observed it was not.

7. "Good work atmosphere people are great and so are customers. Hard work is done daily for only minimum wage."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dighton, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dighton, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people work together to get things done and everyone is genuinely nice including customers. Everyone’s always in a good mood to shop at target I love having conversations with my customers and helping them buy the right products.

Cons

Nobody is paid enough for the amount of work they have to do. It’s all physical labor for minimum wage. They give you a ton of work to do with not a lot of time to do it at some points as well.

Advice to Management

I think they should reevaluate payments. People at amazon do as much as we do and get paid the right amount for the physical labor they do daily which is the same as us. I also think they should work on being more organized schedule wise and people wise. Pay attention to who does their work and who gives others the work for them to do instead.

8. "The worst retail company to work at."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of n I wouldn’t recommend applying at this sleazy corporate. I wouldn’t even give this corporate half star

Cons

Worst hours, Zero healthcare benefits for the first yr or even none. Supervisors who do Favoritism, too many gossips behind low position employees on who to get rid of. Discrimination towards employees with disability and employees who are Muslim. Was under investigation in 2015 by EEOC due to discrimination you must google n read before applying.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees n treat them equal. Stop belittling employees with disability n stop thinking that anytime you offer a position to an individual with disability that person has no clues about ADA n there rights.

9. "Horrible place to work for with some manager at target in westview coral springs"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work with some of the employees that i know.

Cons

Horrible manager. Think they are better than you just because they have a position. They treat you like your are nothing . Some talk to you with a disrespectful tone of voice . Some are very rude, some with no manners.

Advice to Management

Please respect other . Learned how to talk to your employees.

10. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule, and great co-workers. You are allowed to get in overtime during season November -March

Cons

Poor management, no respect to workers

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat others with respect