Target Reviews in Pasadena, CA | Glassdoor

4.3
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Guests are super entitled and Management will kiss their feet"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

hourly pay
    some coworker friendships
    cant think of anything else

Cons

Hours not flexible
    going against policy because management is afraid of negative reviews

2. "Executive team leader"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader of Logistics in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader of Logistics in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is great

Cons

Work life balance during holiday season

3. "I promoted to Hardlines TL in just a year and a half. They notice hard work and a positive attitude."

Current Employee - Softlines Team Leader in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Softlines Team Leader in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a TL you get $3 more than the minimum, every other weekend off, higher chances of receiving target apparel (usually at meetings) and depending on your ETL a great chance to develop your skills to executive level.

Cons

If you don't focus on generating higher sales for your department than the previous year, you won't get a raise.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Target (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great first job. I had no trouble getting requested time off and my managers were typically reasonable. You can move up the ladder and find a better position once you've got a few years under your belt, if you have the ambition and skill set.

Cons

Hard to get a significant raise. There is an emphasis on getting Red Cards. Hours fluctuate dependent on demand; there will be a notable drop once you hit the off-season.

Advice to Management

Don't come down so hard on your managers when they can't manage to gain a thousand Red Cards per week (I'm exaggerating, but not by much). Especially when you had a major security breach.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Target Cashier in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work was overall very easy and my teammates were nice.

Cons

- on your feet too long
    - breaks are too short
    - customer is right mentality isn't good for morale

Advice to Management

Use a different strategy to deal with mean customers. It's not good for employee morale.

6. "Barista at Starbucks inside Target"

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cross training on all aspects was nice, and my fellow employees were really nice. I learned a lot of valuable information for future jobs.

Cons

If you clock in even one minute late you get written up. Sporadic hours made it hard to keep a consistent schedule.

7. "1 year review of Target"

Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Everyone on the team and about half of management is super friendly. I'm normally not a very social person but almost everyone that I've worked with there has quickly become one of my best friends. The amazing team is the only reason I haven't quit.
    401K that matches 10%

Cons

I got a 13 cent raise after my first year, and everyone thought it was the best raise they'd ever seen!
    Supervisors, aka TLs, ETLs, STLs, GSTLs, GSAs, are everywhere from high to evil. A couple will make you zone the same aisle over and over again making a scene over it not being perfect even though it can't stay perfect when the store is packed with guests. And a few will walk through your department and say it looks great even if it's a mess.
    There was an instance of retaliation, a backroom team member saw the manager, assistant manager, and a TL using the backroom equipment to play an epic game of ping pong while on the clock and brought it up to the HR ETL since those same people always breathe down everyone's neck to stay focused on the job. He got fired the next week for "not having the right attitude."
    They're constantly in the cycle of hire, cut hours and fire, hire (b/c ppl quit with the hour cuts), then fire because the over hired. They'll also fire you if they just don't like you Not a great place to work if you need a lot of hours and aren't a favorite/butt kisser. I flirt with everyone and that's how I get hours/ not get fired because I'm not the best at my job.
    All of management plays favorites, so be likeable. They promoted a 19 year old with 6 months experience to GSA over cashiers that have worked there for 10 years!
    I don't know team member at work who doesn't talk about quitting all the time.
    Discount is only 10% off everything, with an additional 20% of fresh fruit and vegetables, Simply Balanced brand and C9 brand. Other benefits include reduced fee gym membership (exact rate depends on avg hours you work per week, insurance (health, car, life) for full timers, access to a site that's like Groupon, Living Social, etc. but not as good/easy to use.
    They often schedule you against your availability, you can usually get it changed but have to go in to do so.
    Time off has to be requested 5 weeks in advance on a computer at work, and you better hope you're not locked out of your account...
    You're always getting locked out of your account.
    They often cut too many hours, and will call you to come in earlier on the day and if you say no they give you less hours later and will like you less
    They never have enough equipment.
    The 5 minute grace period was reduced to 1 minute, if your late, you could be fired.

Advice to Management

Realize that zones may not always be perfect, we have guests to help (or to listen to their life stories; yes, that really does happen), back up to respond to, 2280s to answer, and breaks to cover, and usually we're figuring it out on our personal cell phones and punching in DPCIs on the price scanners (when they work) b/c there's never enough working equipment. A perfect zone at 12:15 doesn't mean much since overnight pushes it all to the back to fill the shelves (often with the wrong merch that the next day's team has to fix) and dayside fills the rest with go backs.
    Also, ease up on the push for redcards, 13 ppl were fired in one week at my store for not getting redcards and most guests already have them!

I understand that you want to strive for excellence, but there is way too much pressure on the team; when 95% of the team like at my store wants to quit, but doesn't b/c the minimum wage is higher in that city, you have a problem.

8. "Electronics"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on electronics. Extra 5% when using store debit card.

Cons

Poor management. Poor communication about tasks. Nepotism gets you places here. If you can do your job better than supervisors. Your seen as a threat and probably let go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees we are more than just employee numbers.

9. "Fast fun and friendly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the family culture and that the company allows you to grow. If you work hard and want to become a great leader target is the place to be.

Cons

At times they do cut hours. So you might not have the same hours through out the whole year.

10. "Overnight Truck unloader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Fun environment and everyone that works is like your family.

Cons

just the sleeping schedule messes you up.

Showing 23 of 28,579 reviews