Target Reviews in Providence, RI | Glassdoor

3.3
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough home/work life balance" (in 1637 reviews)

• "The pay is fair until you have to carry the load of other work-shy team members" (in 1737 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Dartmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dartmouth, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace, holiday pay, hospitality

Cons

None . None none none none

Advice to Management

None

2. "The Bullseye Nightmare"

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in South Easton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in South Easton, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is flexible when needing time off.
    If you’re what they consider a good team member they will put the time in to train you.
    Made many friends.

Cons

Poor management
    Lack of communication
    Very untrustworthy at times
    Company (at least at my location) doesn’t follow through with policies. I have many nightmare stories about myself and others.

Advice to Management

Don’t turn on a good team member just because they turned YOU down to become a team lead and advance up in the company.

"Great experience but promised to keep past seasonal but did not keep me"

Former Employee - Cashier in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Warwick, RI

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Friendly team members
    Nice managers
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Cuts hour after holiday season
    Over worked at times
    Weird scheduling time and lunch times

Advice to Management

Communication with team members

4. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Easton, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Easton, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy, lots of hours were available

Cons

Scheduling was all over the place

"awful company"

Current Employee - Cashier in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Taunton, MA

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

I got out of here and went on to become a software developer making 92k a year. Glad they fired me, hope this company rots in hell.

Cons

they fired me and accused me of stealing,

Advice to Management

Don't work here

6. "Overall amazing experience, need more opportunities for advancement for current team members with degree"

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Providence, RI

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture, team, interactions with our guests, it was an incredible experience and I honestly loved it

Cons

Hours and the opportunities for advancement were limited unless you were recruited from local business college

Advice to Management

Work with your current team members for executive positions, less turnovers and staff who already know and love target. Don’t over look them!

7. "Depends on the Store"

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Swansea, MA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista At Target in Swansea, MA

I worked at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers (in your specific department or "team"). Excellent educational leave policy, which was a great benefit when I ended up switching to a college across the state. Make sure you take your 15 and 30 minute breaks. 10% discount.

Cons

I felt that there was a lot of division between teams that was encouraged by management. Due to our proximity to the cashiers, as well as sharing kitchen with the Target Cafe and frequent interactions with the people on cart duty/picking up our trash, we were friendly with them (only a handful of cashiers bothered talking to us). I understand we're there to work and not to chat with co-workers, but it made everything feel very cold and mechanical. It was very strange not knowing my co-workers names.

It also felt like the Starbucks Baristas were set up to fail and be disliked by other employees (considering how many of our co-workers looked down on us).

Managers or "team leaders" for Starbucks never last long. When I was hired, it was during the current team leader's last week. The girl who replaced her - who had been working as a barista since that particular Starbucks store opened - left after two months as team lead. We were without a team lead for about 3 months (which was quite nice - other than making our schedule, which was done by someone else in the upper management of the store, we all pitched in to cover the other duties of team lead and it ran so smoothly.) The next two team leads, both of whom had previously been working in other departments since the store opened, or close to it, left after 6 months. This was and has been a consistent trend. Even after I left former co-workers told me how other people - who, again, had been there for YEARS - had taken over as team lead and left within months of taking the position.

There was generally a high turnover rate in Starbucks. Within my first year there, I had been on my team the second longest.

Schedules would change at the last second and without notice (a couple times I didn't show up to work because I hadn't originally been scheduled for that day, but added on the day before and not told). This wasn't as common as the things listed above, but it was common enough.

I was also a part-time employee working an average of 40 hours a week. I was working full-time hours, despite being a part-time employee because of the aforementioned high turnover rate. However, I didn't receive the benefits of full-time despite working full-time. This would be understandable if it was a temporary thing, but this lasted about a year (until I went on educational leave).

I also frequently worked 8+ hour shifts mostly on my own because of the lack of employees. There'd be an hour crossover at the start of my shift and then I'd be alone for the next 7 or so hours. This was often at our busiest times (mornings and mid-day were slower since we opened at 8am and that was too late for people to be coming in before work, and there were always at least 2 people on at those times). I'd get in trouble for not taking my breaks, which I could not take since no one would cover my shift. Usually I'd have to shut down entirely so I could take my break - any customers who came in at that time couldn't be served and usually didn't want to wait for me to come back.

Advice to Management

For a company/store that has such an emphasis on team, it'd be good to actually act like a team, instead of putting on a front and showcasing the upper management as the team you claim to have. If you want to be a team then treat EVERYONE like they're part of the team.

I know of people who work at other Target stores who do not have this problem and say it's a great experience and that Target is one o the best companies to work for. Some people from this store have left to work at others and have said that it's a much better experience. This particular store is really lacking and I think what is really needed is a change in upper management.

8. "Sales Floor Team Member - Hardlines"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Target part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule if you’re a student

Cons

Lack of management understanding sales floor responsibilities

9. "Electronics Team Member"

Current Employee - Electronics in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Electronics in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours
    Good management
    Moderately strict
    Raises
    Better than Walmart

Cons

New guy always closes
    Pointless zoning at times

Advice to Management

Keep managing well

10. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Guest Services in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target is a great place to work. I was in the Guest Services department and had a lot of fun. Most of my coworkers were friendly and we had a good time working together. They paid 1.5x on Sundays which was great. Very flexible with my schedule for school. Reasonable work expectations.

Cons

It's a relatively low paying job. No surprise there. Some of the 'team leads' were young too and were on power trips. I think some of them forget that while they have responsibilities to the company, they have to pick their battles with employees and customers.

Showing 53 of 31,356 reviews